Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2018, 12:08 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,221,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Can't watch the video but I've always known a higher percentage of the lighter Mexicans look down on the darker ones.
The same is true in Asia and in Africa. The lighter coloured people look down under their darker skinned fellow natives. And skin-lightening products are popular in both those continents. It's just the way people are all over.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ade-be-stopped

https://www.dw.com/en/the-77-percent...ca/av-42570222

Quote:
In some African countries, some women and men have taken to bleaching their skin in the belief that lighter skin is more beautiful than darker. It estimated that 70 percent of women in Lagos use skin lightening products. So why is this phenomenon growing despite its health concerns?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2018, 12:13 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,920,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Wait, so you're saying that you know their ethnicity better than they do? How arrogant of you.
I'm saying they're confused call it arrogant if you wish. They're identifying with their pigmentation but culturally, and phenotypically it's obvious they're a blend just by watching that short video. It looks like they're importing some Afrocentrism from the US and want to be recognized as Black Mexicans to obtain some Gov't money. I'm not saying they're not discriminated against but it's pretty clear they think they have a path using the USA model.

Old 07-25-2018, 12:22 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,213,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Not coming from a western state, (eastern coast) I had no idea about this type of discrimination. Never heard of a "black Mexican"...

is this just darker skin Mexicans (indigenous perhaps?) or are they referring to black and Mexican mix?

Seriously, I have no idea...tell me.
An Afro-Mexican or black Mexican is a Mexican with visible or predominant sub-saharan African ancestry. It's the Mexican equivalent to an Afro-Puerto Rican, Dominican(most are mixed-African anyway so no need for the specifications), or even an African-American. I've known for some time that Mexicans with significant black ancestry exist in Mexico.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 07-25-2018 at 12:33 PM..

Old 07-25-2018, 01:30 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,768,215 times
Quote:
Wrong, wrong, wrong. Mexican is simply a nationality. Me thinks you have an agenda with you're wording, but can't be certain. Lemme ask you a question, do you believe that anyone can be racist and bigoted regardless of their skin color or ethnicity? Just want to establish a baseline. Thanks
Yes of course anyone cane be racist. As for Mexican being a nationality and an ethnicity, given that you didn’t know what colorism was, I am not going to take your word over people who are Mexican and define it as an ethnicity and a nationality. Speaking of colorism, are you willing to walk back your accusation that I “made up” the term colorism?

Old 07-25-2018, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
LMAO at the poster who said Mexican is both a nationality and a ethnicity. It's a nationality, the ethnicity is Hispanic, their race is both black and white.
Actually depending upon which subgroup you are talking about their race as indigenous Americans is not black, but depending upon what schema used are either primarily Asian or their own subgroup.

As for Mexican as an ethnicity, given that ethnicity is defined as belonging to a group based on national and cultural traditions, yes, Mexican is both. They may share much of the same culture with other Hispanics there are portions of their culture that are uniquely their own.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:38 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,115,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I'm saying they're confused call it arrogant if you wish. They're identifying with their pigmentation but culturally, and phenotypically it's obvious they're a blend just by watching that short video. It looks like they're importing some Afrocentrism from the US and want to be recognized as Black Mexicans to obtain some Gov't money. I'm not saying they're not discriminated against but it's pretty clear they think they have a path using the USA model.
Ah yes....when in doubt, blame the victim.

Let me repeat, up until 2015 the Mexican government didn't even count them in the census.

Old 07-25-2018, 01:42 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,115,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Yes of course anyone cane be racist. As for Mexican being a nationality and an ethnicity, given that you didn’t know what colorism was, I am not going to take your word over people who are Mexican and define it as an ethnicity and a nationality. Speaking of colorism, are you willing to walk back your accusation that I “made up” the term colorism?
Walk it back? lol @ your overly dramatic post. I didn't accuse you of making it up, I asked you if you did. I had never heard it before, it sounds to me like a whitewashing (see what i did there) over racism, but whatever. Mexican is not an ethnicity, it's simply a nationality. Is Eritrean an ethnicity, how about New Zealanderish? lol

Old 07-25-2018, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Walk it back? lol @ your overly dramatic post. I didn't accuse you of making it up, I asked you if you did. I had never heard it before, it sounds to me like a whitewashing (see what i did there) over racism, but whatever. Mexican is not an ethnicity, it's simply a nationality. Is Eritrean an ethnicity, how about New Zealanderish? lol
No because you picked multiethnic countries, where none of the ethnic groups uses the name of th country as the name of one of the ethnicities. That is not the same thing as Mexico. Mexico is multiethnic, but many of the members of the ethnic group made up of a combination of indigenous and Spanish backgrounds do identify ethnically as Mexican.

Many group names can be more than on thing. Jewish can refer to a religion or an ethnic group, some would even say it is a nationality, though I think the term Israeli is more apt for that nationality.

Likewise with ethnic groups and nationality. Chinese is a term for nationality, and an ethnic group within China. China like Mexico, is a nation with many ethnic groups. That doesn’t mean that there is not also ethnic Chinese.

And of course demanding “did you just make that up?”is an accusation.

Old 07-25-2018, 02:01 PM

12,046 posts, read 6,595,634 times
Quote:
Did you even know that there was a black Mexican subculture and that up until 2015 they weren't even counted in the census??? How is that not controversial that our neighbor to the south is still to this day so racist against darker Mexicans. Look at Jorge Ramos, he's whiter than me with blue eyes. Why are 99% of all Mexican reporters and telenovella stars white? We should be able to have an open and honest discussion about this.
And they don’t educate well or train darker Mexicans for good paying jobs, but instead encourage them to sneak across our border and steal from Americans - how racist is that?.....

Old 07-25-2018, 02:08 PM

2,261 posts, read 1,142,947 times
Quote:
yup, look at what Sammy Sosa has done to himself. It's sad.

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=is...vl8SlUR_uwQTM:
Oh man, the bleaching in Jamaica is ridiculously popular.

I also read that in Dominican republic there is discrimination against darker skinned people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies