Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is racism a big factor in keep minorities down?
Yes 62 34.83%
No 116 65.17%
Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 07:48 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not really. Look at how many marriages end in divorce. 40% to 50%. What impact do you think that has on kids?

A divorce is a legal procedure. Therefore, the childrens' interest is front and center and subject to law. It get's a helluva lot more complicated when there was never any structure to begin with.

The fact that two people were married before having the kids show there was serious intent.

Contrast that with some guy with 5 kids from 3 different woman. That is a recipe for chaos.

Not to mention not all divorced couples even have kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 07:48 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
I saw a video on Instagram Wednesday of a guy pulling up next to a black man at a red light and calling him the n-word 8 times.

Racism is alive and well in this country, there are millions of Americans who hate blacks, and/or Hispanics, and/or Muslims.
Is the person or people like him stopping blacks or Hispanics or Muslims or whichever group he hates, from working fulltime? Encouraging them to have children before they are 21 and married? Blocking them from attending and finishing high school?

Old 08-03-2018, 07:49 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
I saw a video on Instagram Wednesday of a guy pulling up next to a black man at a red light and calling him the n-word 8 times.

Racism is alive and well in this country, there are millions of Americans who hate blacks, and/or Hispanics, and/or Muslims.
And millions of people hate Jews, too. (There are more hate crimes against Jews than Muslims.) But they succeed despite that, and despite some horrific bigotry. So how would you explain that?

Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 AM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Quote:

The use of the N word is mostly done by Blacks themselves. They revel in calling each other "My N_____". They think its great. Personally I find it disgusting and hate to keep explaining to my kid why these black men on the subway are shrieking what I have told him is despicable.

The guy in the video is likely a crank and will never be the arbiter of any black person's destiny.

Jeez...

Old 08-03-2018, 07:54 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
I think your questions is too simplified.

If we are talking systematic institutional racism - then yes that is still keeping some people down.

If we are talking about personal racism (day to day interactions with each other - not government officials which include LE officers, teachers, etc. - they are a part of the institution) then no.

On institutional/structural racism - it was heavily dismantled between the 1960s and 1980s but the remnants of this racist system does still hold people back from achieving their goals.

I believe today that "racism" itself is being over simplified by media and the masses to mean anything that anyone speaks about in regards to sociological race. Everything isn't racism.

As a black woman, I am aware of what racism is from both institutional and personal perspectives. I also know about white supremacy ideology (which is the basis of institutional racism and the personal attitudes of people who hold personally racist views). Because of that knowledge and me not getting hung up about it, I can do well within this system, which is not as oppressive as it used to be. IMO it is important for all Americans to understand that institutional racism had a hold on our country for centuries and that 50 years post CRM climax, it is a silly idea to think that there would be no legacy left from those centuries today or that it is not still around - that is naive to believe honestly.

For black people specifically, I think it is important for us to realize that all the conversations about us in media from a variety of sources - including black media sources - to not buy into the ideas that we as individuals or a community can be fully "explained" or studied from specific statistics or sociological work - that this trend is based upon white supremacy ideology deeming us as a problem to solve in this country hundreds of years ago. IMO the people who (do what I call) "problemize" us are the primary persons with the problem that needs to be solved (white supremacy) by seeking to view other people as less than themselves or their groups. I believe that black people do the same thing (believe in/embrace white supreamcy) and buy into this inferior view of themselves and us as a people. We should not really engage in or pay all that much attention to the fight over us that occurs often in this country and has since the beginning of this nation. These fights/discussions are based on white supremacy ideology. It is better to let them have their silly fights over us and mind our own business. Our people achieved a great deal for us in their work to dismantle a majority of the system of institutional racism imparted on us by both government and personal people/neighbors. This is actually the primary cultural tenet of our demographic - activism and advocating for dismantling of white supremacy ideology. We will continue to do it, so I don't worry about it today. Only thing I worry about in regards to my demographic is that too many of us embrace the idea that we have a lot of problems to solve that are related to superficial notions based upon white supremacy (i.e. - we have inferior family structure, we are ignorant/don't want to be educated, we spend a lot of money - actual data and especially historical study of our demographic shows all these are false yet many of us and non-black people especially easily buy into and embrace these ideas). The fact that these ideas are still always discussed and we are viewed as a problem - this shows the continuance of "racism" in our country. These discussions about this subject IMO amongst other things are things that "keep us back." This is because many of us use our skills/talents to either try to prove the white supremacist POV (usually to try to set themselves apart as a good black person - better than us "other" black people) or try to fight that POV when they (the white supremacist) will probably never let go of their views in this regard so it is useless to continue to engage with them.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:55 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Plus up until ~1930 black UE was lower than white UE. I don't think many will argue that we are more racist today.
While actual racism does not exist at any level similar to how it did in the past, it does seem that, from decades of anecdotal evidence, racial tensions seem continually higher than in the past.

Old 08-03-2018, 07:58 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,508,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
The use of the N word is mostly done by Blacks themselves. They revel in calling each other "My N_____". They think its great. Personally I find it disgusting and hate to keep explaining to my kid why these black men on the subway are shrieking what I have told him is despicable.

The guy in the video is likely a crank and will never be the arbiter of any black person's destiny.

Jeez...
Yup. This is what I don't get. I am Jewish, and have had the K-word directed at me. We in the Jewish community want to....be ready for a shock....discourage that language. The last thing we would even do is say " hi, K" to one another and keep the vernacular going. I guarantee you that nobody reading this has ever heard a Jew address another Jew using that word. (I'll even lay odds!)

Old 08-03-2018, 08:07 AM

34,235 posts, read 18,590,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Only thing I worry about in regards to my demographic is that too many of us embrace the idea that we have a lot of problems to solve that are related to superficial notions based upon white supremacy (i.e. - we have inferior family structure, we are ignorant/don't want to be educated, we spend a lot of money - actual data and especially historical study of our demographic shows all these are false yet many of us and non-black people especially easily buy into and embrace these ideas). The fact that these ideas are still always discussed and we are viewed as a problem - this shows the continuance of "racism" in our country. These discussions about this subject IMO amongst other things are things that "keep us back." This is because many of us use our skills/talents to either try to prove the white supremacist POV (usually to try to set themselves apart as a good black person - better than us "other" black people) or try to fight that POV when they (the white supremacist) will probably never let go of their views in this regard so it is useless to continue to engage with them.
So, are you saying you still allow the past to control your present, and future, ie the attitudes of "White Supremacy", and institutional White Supremacy post the 1964 Civil Rights Act? How many decades, or centuries will it take to put both slavery, and institutional racial prejudice behind the Black Community?

Progressives today accuse Whites of having "Unconscious Racism". Like Original Sin, we are born with it, and really can not do anything about it. We may never have a conscious racist thought, nor commit a racist act, but yet we are still racists, and GUILTY. The promoted cure is a plethora of government mandated restrictions, programs, and Affirmative Action, but even those won't cure us, nor alleviate our inherent Racism.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:08 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Yup. This is what I don't get. I am Jewish, and have had the K-word directed at me. We in the Jewish community want to....be ready for a shock....discourage that language. The last thing we would even do is say " hi, K" to one another and keep the vernacular going. I guarantee you that nobody reading this has ever heard a Jew address another Jew using that word. (I'll even lay odds!)

FYI - many black people are the same and we use the example of Jews not calling themselves K's also other ethnic groups not buying into racial slurs.

It is silly IMO for most Americans to believe that a majority of black people in this nation either use the n word or think it is okay to do so amongst each other. There has always been a debate in black American about this and a condemnation of its use amongst our people.

Please see post above - I've mentioned numerous times on this forum that black people buying into an inferior view of ourselves is really our biggest issue as a demographic.

The idea you espoused above that black people don't discourage the use of the word, is one that is not sound. We have for over 100 years . However, the dominant system told black people that they were that word for centuries and everyone doesn't agree with everyone else on every issue - the entertainment industry (which is primarily run by Jews BTW) pushes specific sorts of music, images, and caricatures of black people that perpetuate the idea of our inferiority. Those who participate in those caricatures do so for money - the thing of most importance in our society and which I'm sure many Jews have had become their undoing as well - focusing on money/profits over their people and/or family. The idea/belief that all black people condone the use of the n word is another way in which this society portrays black people as inferior.

Old 08-03-2018, 08:08 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,875,145 times
Quote:
I think your questions is too simplified.

If we are talking systematic institutional racism - then yes that is still keeping some people down.
Which institution is racist? I can't fight it if I don't know.

Quote:
If we are talking about personal racism (day to day interactions with each other - not government officials which include LE officers, teachers, etc. - they are a part of the institution) then no.
Agreed

Quote:
On institutional/structural racism - it was heavily dismantled between the 1960s and 1980s but the remnants of this racist system does still hold people back from achieving their goals.
What would be those remnants and which institution still has them?

Quote:
I believe today that "racism" itself is being over simplified by media and the masses to mean anything that anyone speaks about in regards to sociological race. Everything isn't racism.
Agreed

Quote:
As a black woman, I am aware of what racism is from both institutional and personal perspectives. I also know about white supremacy ideology (which is the basis of institutional racism and the personal attitudes of people who hold personally racist views). Because of that knowledge and me not getting hung up about it, I can do well within this system, which is not as oppressive as it used to be. IMO it is important for all Americans to understand that institutional racism had a hold on our country for centuries and that 50 years post CRM climax, it is a silly idea to think that there would be no legacy left from those centuries today or that it is not still around - that is naive to believe honestly.
Can you provide examples?

Quote:
For black people specifically, I think it is important for us to realize that all the conversations about us in media from a variety of sources - including black media sources - to not buy into the ideas that we as individuals or a community can be fully "explained" or studied from specific statistics or sociological work - that this trend is based upon white supremacy ideology deeming us as a problem to solve in this country hundreds of years ago.
But facts don't have emotions.

Quote:
IMO the people who (do what I call) "problemize" us are the primary persons with the problem that needs to be solved (white supremacy) by seeking to view other people as less than themselves or their groups. I believe that black people do the same thing (believe in/embrace white supreamcy) and buy into this inferior view of themselves and us as a people. We should not really engage in or pay all that much attention to the fight over us that occurs often in this country and has since the beginning of this nation. These fights/discussions are based on white supremacy ideology. It is better to let them have their silly fights over us and mind our own business.
Aren't the problems the same for every group but impact blacks the most, then Hispanics?

Quote:
Our people achieved a great deal for us in their work to dismantle a majority of the system of institutional racism imparted on us by both government and personal people/neighbors. This is actually the primary cultural tenet of our demographic - activism and advocating for dismantling of white supremacy ideology. We will continue to do it, so I don't worry about it today. Only thing I worry about in regards to my demographic is that too many of us embrace the idea that we have a lot of problems to solve that are related to superficial notions based upon white supremacy (i.e. - we have inferior family structure, we are ignorant/don't want to be educated, we spend a lot of money - actual data and especially historical study of our demographic shows all these are false yet many of us and non-black people especially easily buy into and embrace these ideas).
But blacks are the least educated, they are the worst at staying together as a family. Those are facts.

Quote:
The fact that these ideas are still always discussed and we are viewed as a problem - this shows the continuance of "racism" in our country.
Facts aren't racist.

Quote:
These discussions about this subject IMO amongst other things are things that "keep us back."
Ignoring the truth or stifling discussion is what keeps individuals down.

Quote:
This is because many of us use our skills/talents to either try to prove the white supremacist POV (usually to try to set themselves apart as a good black person - better than us "other" black people) or try to fight that POV when they (the white supremacist) will probably never let go of their views in this regard so it is useless to continue to engage with them.
Your entire white supremacy argument is racist. As if there are a significant number of white people keeping minorities down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies