Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 02:30 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Again.. Cable companies are not like websites. They are closer to ISPs. And if the current administration didn't repeal net neutrality, the ISPs couldn't censor websites similar to public utilities.

Learn how the Internet works.

Websites and platforms like Youtube are not public utilities. What's wrong? Liberal snowflakes technically kicked the rights rear ends and the right can't accept it?

How about instead of whining do your part and get the conservatives to band together.

Are you for pro business rights? Or entitlements to private property?

Many of the right conservatives here simply can't answer.
My thoughts are honestly all over the place.

I'm trying very hard to not do what you just did there and turn freedom of speech into a partisan politics team sport. If Trump kicked CNN out of the White House press room tomorrow, you wouldn't see me spiking the proverbial football and doing a victory dance. I would strongly disagree with the move, it would further taint my opinion of the Republican Party and I suppose wouldn't vote for Trump in 2020 ... again cuz I didn't vote for him 2016 either.

The fix is already in. Every platform that Jones was kicked off of has a more free speech absolutist replacement ready to go. But it concerns me that we might be heading towards a world where everyone on Gab.ai, Bitchute and Minds.com is Right-leaning and everyone on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook is Left-leaning. We end up losing the ability to discuss and engage with those with opposing views because we've been forcibly segregated by giant Internet platforms. I don't think it's a good idea. I acknowledge that they have the legal right to kick people off. They don't even need a good reason. But it's leading nowhere good. We're already getting dangerously divided. Segregating Left and Right into echo-chambers on the Internet isn't helpful.

These platforms have been engaging in censorship for years, but this is by far the boldest move they've ever taken. Like it or not, InfoWars is a news media company and these people just demonstrated that they are willing and able to run a coordinated takedown of a news media company. That bothers me and it really should bother you. Very strange that it does not. You even seem to take pleasure in what they've done. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 02:34 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
I'm just gonna leave this here: Looks like Gab may be searching for a new home too.

https://gizmodo.com/microsoft-threat...oci-1828233264

Microsoft received a complaint about specific posts on Gab.ai that advocate ‘ritual death by torture’ and the ‘complete eradication’ of all Jews. After an initial review, we have concluded that this content incites violence, is not protected by the First Amendment, and violates Microsoft Azure’s acceptable use policy. Microsoft notified Gab.ai of this substantial concern and advised that it remove this content or respond to Microsoft within 48 hours, or potentially risk suspension of its service on Azure.
We believe we have an important responsibility to ensure that our services are not abused by people and groups seeking to incite violence against others. Our policies rightly prohibit this type of content, and we expect Gab.ai to abide by these policies if it wishes to use our service. Gab.ai is of course free to choose otherwise and work with another cloud service provider or host this content itself. If it wishes to make that choice, we will provide it with a reasonable amount of time, in this instance longer than 48 hours, to transition its content elsewhere before its access to Azure is terminated. But we will stand by our policy and insist that Gab.ai remove what is unlawful and hateful content.

Last edited by mikeyyc; 08-09-2018 at 02:45 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 02:44 PM

14,683 posts, read 14,659,278 times
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...e-authority-to

The hypocrisy here is mind-boggling.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:45 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,739,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Cable companies do choose which channels they will or will not carry.

In any event, like another poster said, they are more like ISPs than content providers. YouTube banning Alex Jones is more like an individual channel refusing to air an infomercial it found offensive.
Kind of splitting hairs there aren't we? I disagree with the Trump Administration's abandonment of Net Neutrality, but I did agree on just one important aspect of the move: Net Neutrality was done wrong. The President of the United States and the FCC should not have the power to create such laws and regulations out of thin air. Those powers belong to Congress. Net Neutrality should have been an act of Congress to begin with. Executive Orders and Federal Bureau policies are a double-edged sword: They can be created on a whim and they can be taken down just as quickly. And Net Neutrality was limited. The goal IMHO should have been to keep the Internet as free and open as possible across the board. ISP's are just one piece of that puzzle.

YouTube banning Alex is exactly like a cable company banning an entire channel and nothing like banning just one infomercial commercial. How many thousands of videos do you think were in the InfoWars library? How many regular daily or weekly shows were there? You're analogy would fit if it were just one video being removed and not thousands of them with a regular schedule of new programs being interrupted. YouTube has always billed itself as a video sharing platform open to everyone. That is no longer true obviously, though they're trying obfuscate by blowing smoke up our collective asses.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Kind of splitting hairs there aren't we? I disagree with the Trump Administration's abandonment of Net Neutrality, but I did agree on just one important aspect of the move: Net Neutrality was done wrong. The President of the United States and the FCC should not have the power to create such laws and regulations out of thin air. Those powers belong to Congress. Net Neutrality should have been an act of Congress to begin with. Executive Orders and Federal Bureau policies are a double-edged sword: They can be created on a whim and they can be taken down just as quickly. And Net Neutrality was limited. The goal IMHO should have been to keep the Internet as free and open as possible across the board. ISP's are just one piece of that puzzle.

YouTube banning Alex is exactly like a cable company banning an entire channel and nothing like banning just one infomercial commercial. How many thousands of videos do you think were in the InfoWars library? How many regular daily or weekly shows were there? You're analogy would fit if it were just one video being removed and not thousands of them with a regular schedule of new programs being interrupted. YouTube has always billed itself as a video sharing platform open to everyone. That is no longer true obviously, though they're trying obfuscate by blowing smoke up our collective asses.
Doesn't matter. Microsoft is going to stab his new home in the heart.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:49 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Never been a fan of Jones but at the same time being banned for stating his ‘ nut job opinion ‘ goes against freedom of speech.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Never been a fan of Jones but at the same time being banned for stating his ‘ nut job opinion ‘ goes against freedom of speech.
There's 1100+ posts and over a hundred pages pointing out that you're wrong.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:54 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post

No, not exactly alike.
The layers of the Internet in general comparison to cable

Internet: Cable Waves
ISP: Cable Company
People on YouTube: TV shows/commercials

Because of the nature of the Internet, one TV show (user) can have an amazing amount of episodes there for consumption, but it is not the same as a TV channel (website)

YouTube is a video channel open to everyone....who agrees to their user agreement (a TOS).

How do you feel about a business enforcing a contract?
Since it's a business we can delve into monopolies and constructs like that if you like.
But this is about a business.

Last edited by latimeria; 08-09-2018 at 03:24 PM..

Old 08-09-2018, 02:56 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
There's 1100+ posts and over a hundred pages pointing out that you're wrong.
Um no that’s just some one else’s opinion like that was mine and you have yours. That’s not proof. Sorry.

Old 08-09-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Um no that’s just some one else’s opinion like that was mine and you have yours. That’s not proof. Sorry.
How about the fact that the first amendment only applies to the Government restricting speech? This isn't that. I know facts are inconvenient, but it doesn't make them untrue or wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies