Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 02:59 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times

Advertisements

It's been about 60 pages or so. Probably time for a reminder.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 03:25 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
OPC's are federally regulated, even if privately owned by shareholders.
There are rules and there is no having it both ways.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/47/230

Congress can damn well make laws to expand the 1st amendment.
They just cannot make laws that reduce it(abridged)
Just because they are regulated does not make them government entities. You can try and try and try to make us believe it, but it just isn't so.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:26 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
If it's best for Twitter and they decide to keep AJ and company, then I would also support that decision.... After all they are private too and have the right.

Unlike some posters in this thread, I don't pick and choose who gets rights and who doesn't based on personal biases.

Its the whole reason why I pointed it out.
Oh, I agree with you. It's their site and their business.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,275,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The thing that has be very puzzled: The Democrats and Left-leaning folks on this forum are very concerned that Trump is going to do something like shutdown CNN or the New York Times, etc. Some were very concerned when a little old granny and a room full of Trump supporters heckled Jim Acosta. They think that Trump's blatant disrespect for CNN and MSNBC and the whole lot of them constitutes a threat to the freedom of the press and speech and a threat to the survival of out nation. I can only guess that you're worried that mean words will translate into Trump taking some kind of action to silence all news media that reports negatively on him, but that hasn't actually happened yet.

The Left just did everything so afraid of and now you think it's a fantastic idea. Somebody explain that to me. Seems like it's, "Free speech and freedom of the press for me but not for thee." What am I missing here?
A president shutting down private corporations because he disagrees with what they say IS an actual violation of the first amendment.

That is the difference here.

YouTube is not the president, though I think I'd rather they were because they seem to understand laws.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:28 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Um no that’s just some one else’s opinion like that was mine and you have yours. That’s not proof. Sorry.
Nope. Your opinion is factually incorrect.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:30 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
If cable companies across the nation removed CNN and MSNBC enmasse because they didn't like their politics, would you care? If a wide array of entities removed them from everywhere but cnn.com, what difference would it make? They still have cnn.com so obviously they're not being silenced. If you are only allowed to say whatever you want every second month on the first Tuesday in a predetermined building and room, do you still have freedom of speech?

Consider for just a moment. CNN, NBC, ABC, CBS, AP, MSNBC and a lot of other Left-biased news media organizations are still being actively invited into the White House press room as a courtesy and not a legal right. What do you think the reaction would look like if Trump just kicked them out? They're freedom to speak isn't being infringed. Their freedom to exist and report the news still exists. They just don't get invited to the question and answer party. Trump has every right to kick them out, so why shouldn't he? It's not anyone else's business after all.
Consider for a moment, these internet companies have RULES, called Terms of Service, and if you violate them, the internet company can, and sometimes will, take actions. It's not, "they didn't like their politics". There are plenty of conservatives posting on Youtube as we speak. It's Alex Jones broke the rules. When he signed up to use the service, he agreed to abide by the rules. Then he broke them. And then he tried to get around the rules. And then he got banned. From a few sites. Not from the internet.

You all are acting like six-year-olds who want to get their way, and don't understand why it's not happening. A major whine-fest.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:34 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Yes you are missing something... No one or thing is threatening to shutdown INFOwars.com. YouTube has every right to determine business decisions for its resources and certainly Twitter is too.

Again... What you want is hypocritical towards the conservative notion of pro business rights. You want INFOwars and Alex Jones to have entitlements to private resources of YouTube... Are you for or against entitlements to private resources?

Yes, they all simultaneously made a business decision.
They all decided to no longer just be content providers.
They have stepped up to official media publishers with an editorial staff, from protected social media host, where they could not be held liable for what was posted on their "private" site.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Consider for a moment, these internet companies have RULES, called Terms of Service, and if you violate them, the internet company can, and sometimes will, take actions. It's not, "they didn't like their politics". There are plenty of conservatives posting on Youtube as we speak. It's Alex Jones broke the rules. When he signed up to use the service, he agreed to abide by the rules. Then he broke them. And then he tried to get around the rules. And then he got banned. From a few sites. Not from the internet.

You all are acting like six-year-olds who want to get their way, and don't understand why it's not happening. A major whine-fest.
And the same thing is happening to Gab right now. Microsoft gave them 48 hours to clean up some posts, or find a new host.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, they all simultaneously made a business decision.
They all decided to no longer just be content providers.
They have stepped up to official media publishers with an editorial staff, from protected social media host, where they could not be held liable for what was posted on their "private" site.
You can say it 100 different times, and 100 different ways, but it still won't be true.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:43 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Nope. Your opinion is factually incorrect.
About what Jones being a nut job? I think not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies