Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2018, 03:43 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Yes, they all simultaneously made a business decision.
They all decided to no longer just be content providers.
They have stepped up to official media publishers with an editorial staff, from protected social media host, where they could not be held liable for what was posted on their "private" site.
Sorry, but removing content that violates one’s terms of service does not make a website a media publisher. Completely wrong, as usual.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2018, 03:45 PM

9,019 posts, read 14,297,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
About what Jones being a nut job? I think not.
I don't think you'll find much resistance there.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:55 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,544,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
I don't think you'll find much resistance there.
Which is what I was referring to in the first place.

Old 08-09-2018, 03:57 PM

15,072 posts, read 10,110,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...e-authority-to

The hypocrisy here is mind-boggling.
Exactly..

With that said... Not all conservatives are being hypocritical.. There are is at least two members that have expressed their surprise that conservatives would ask for bigger government. More oversight, and violating private properties.....

Old 08-09-2018, 03:59 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,592,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
My thoughts are honestly all over the place.

I'm trying very hard to not do what you just did there and turn freedom of speech into a partisan politics team sport. If Trump kicked CNN out of the White House press room tomorrow, you wouldn't see me spiking the proverbial football and doing a victory dance. I would strongly disagree with the move, it would further taint my opinion of the Republican Party and I suppose wouldn't vote for Trump in 2020 ... again cuz I didn't vote for him 2016 either.

The fix is already in. Every platform that Jones was kicked off of has a more free speech absolutist replacement ready to go. But it concerns me that we might be heading towards a world where everyone on Gab.ai, Bitchute and Minds.com is Right-leaning and everyone on Twitter, YouTube and Facebook is Left-leaning. We end up losing the ability to discuss and engage with those with opposing views because we've been forcibly segregated by giant Internet platforms. I don't think it's a good idea. I acknowledge that they have the legal right to kick people off. They don't even need a good reason. But it's leading nowhere good. We're already getting dangerously divided. Segregating Left and Right into echo-chambers on the Internet isn't helpful.

These platforms have been engaging in censorship for years, but this is by far the boldest move they've ever taken. Like it or not, InfoWars is a news media company and these people just demonstrated that they are willing and able to run a coordinated takedown of a news media company. That bothers me and it really should bother you. Very strange that it does not. You even seem to take pleasure in what they've done. Why is that?
Regarding your comment I have bolded: to a degree, this is already the case. Not so much that people have segregated themselves with their choices of social media platform, but that they are already being quite selective about what they read and watch there, just as some people watch only Fox, and some only MSNBC. As for being "forcibly segregated," I can only ask how it is forced? There is no reason a person cannot be on both Twitter and Gab, for example, or watch both YouTube and Bitchute. Nobody is pushing people into echo chambers - they are choosing to be there entirely of their own volition.

I agree that talking to people who don't necessarily share one's beliefs is a good thing, but the pre-internet, pre-cable days of only three networks, plus maybe public television, when everyone watched the same news at the same time are long gone, and I don't see them returning anytime soon.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:05 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Which is what I was referring to in the first place.
The factually incorrect part people are referring to was the other half of your statement about it violating First Amendment. That's all.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:06 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
Exactly..

With that said... Not all conservatives are being hypocritical.. There are is at least two members that have expressed their surprise that conservatives would ask for bigger government. More oversight, and violating private properties.....

Hypocritical?

The same people who say that a corporation should be able to censor behavior are the ones who say the NFL should not be able to stop the knee benders.

Go to that topic and look at the same people who do a 100% U-Turn on the issue when it's against a leftist cause.

It the same old hypocritical double standard by the leftists.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:08 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,590,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hypocritical?

The same people who say that a corporation should be able to censor behavior are the ones who say the NFL should not be able to stop the knee benders.

Go to that topic and look at the same people who do a 100% U-Turn on the issue when it's against a leftist cause.

I don’t recall anyone arguing the the NFL should not be permitted to stop kneeling during the anthem. Can you identify those posts?

Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,115,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Hypocritical?

So....both sides can be? Because there are definitely people in here and elsewhere who profess to be conservative, but suddenly are wanting more government control of a private business. And sure, I believe some liberals are indeed doing what you say, but you cant pretend they are the only hypocrites out there. This is the flip side.

Old 08-09-2018, 04:12 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,912,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's absurd.

1. It didn't incite a riot.
2. Newspapers like the NYT have incited entire wars, and no one's deplatforming them.
Well it caused a counter protest due to press coverage. Plus it encouraged the white supremacists, KKK and neo-Nazis to show up along with the standard people protesting Confederate Civil War statue removals. I'm sorry those groups (not those who are just pro-Confederate statue and memorabilia) are riot starters into it of itself, based on past history and use of hate speech.

Second the New York Times only incited the wars on terror which almost all the media did along with the government. Maybe we should deplatform all the media whether it is liberal, moderate or conservative as well as the government itself. I mean if it is good for the Times, why not all the others pushing for Iraq and Afghanistan...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies