Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 11:12 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,783,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Need to figure out why so many men are becoming pedophiles before we start to address what careers they go into or who they choose to work for, for what ever reasons. 'Something' is making them into a pedophile before they even get into positions with access to kids.
Nobody knows why or what to do to prevent it. So if you make answering that question a prerequisite to action, you'll never do anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2018, 03:08 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,648,329 times
These religious organizations have gone unpunished long enough. Laws are for everyone not just regular people. Wish they would make all of these priests pay for Fooling around with kids. We are a divided country but this should not be tolerated. Then we wonder why some children have psychological issues? Back in those days parents usually never took the child’s word for anything.

Old 08-16-2018, 03:09 AM

89,323 posts, read 45,051,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
This is why among many reasons why I can no longer support the catholic church. I hope those priests rot in hell!
My thoughts, as well. I was raised as a Roman Catholic and to this day my parents don't understand why I turned my back on the Catholic Church 30 years ago. It's like they have no clue whatsoever that all the exploitative pedophilia and sexual assault ever happened.

We have agreed to disagree.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:34 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,364,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Interesting to see the RC haters and religion haters come piling out of woodwork.

The RC church problem of course is that the have actually kept detailed records. The age old custom has been to try and reform deviant priests. And priests are in short supply so the institution tries to salvage even when they should not.

Other organizations will not have the problem simply because no records are kept. Virtually all handled by informal means with no formal record. Force the perpetrator out but don't get otherwise involved.
Oh yes. Expressing disgust and anger about a church fostered pedophilic sex ring is "hating." GMAB

Old 08-16-2018, 05:40 AM

28,163 posts, read 25,364,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Criteria? Again how about the Boy Scouts? The YMCA? The Baptists?

In general this is a historic record of what happened a while ago. The RCC tried to handle its own bad guys...and that was mostly acceptable to society when it occurred.
Bull!

Handle it's own "bad guys"? No, not bad guys. Rapists, pedophiles and child abusers.

They did not fire these guys. They didn't make an example out of any of them. They didn't pay for counseling for victims. They didn't help these victims at all. They didn't care about the impact the abuse had on victims, their families or the congregations.

Handle it's own? No. What the church did was threaten victims, pay them off, force them to sign what amounts to NDAs, worked with police departments to make sure charges weren't brought, and protected rapists, pedophiles and child abusers. And to go a step further, none of these men were punished even within the church. As a matter of fact, many of them received promotions, letters of recommendation, commendations, etc.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:47 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,408,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Need to figure out why so many men are becoming pedophiles before we start to address what careers they go into or who they choose to work for, for what ever reasons. 'Something' is making them into a pedophile before they even get into positions with access to kids.

Plus, its not just the church, or priests, parish etc, that are complicit in this. Cannot leave out all the parents, teachers, neighbors, etc who just a couple decades ago, would do nothing more than roll their eyes and laugh/ joke about that 'one guy' who liked to spend time with young girls or boys a bit too much! Many parents, teachers, neighbors, were guilty of this in the neighborhood I grew up in, they all knew about adult guys who were either dating or just sleeping with underage girls, but they roll their eyes, etc, no one ever turned them in, or thought to report it, Im sure most people on here know some people like this during their lives too.

Heck my own parents knew a classmate of mine was sleeping with a neighborhood guy in his mid 20s, when she was around 13/14, this was NOT viewed as a serious thing back in the 80s and 90s though, I still remember many of the neighborhood parents (especially the wives) would joke about this, mostly the guy not being able to get a girl his own age.
Well other pedophiles
create many of these perverts. Have seen this with a friends child who grew up to
become a pedophile of his own.Never ending cycle , very hard to break.
Not saying that everyone that
has been abused will end up abusing but it is a factor.

As far as one cannot just blame the church , hello ,sorry, YES the church owns this
whole mess fair and square .
I grew up in the sixties , let me tell you nobody in our family
or our circle of friends thought it okay for a 27 year old to sleep with a 13 year old!!!

Let's start with HOLDING the church and priest responsible , don't explain it away
by spreading the blame.

Old 08-16-2018, 05:59 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,408,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Those of you who think this problem is confined to the Catholic Church or that the Catholic Church should be shut down because of this need to get your head out of the sand. This occurs in all religions and all non-religious organizations. The biggest perpetrators are family members. Should we disband all families?
While I do care that it happens in other institutions
I really don't care in relation to this topic which is The Catholic Church.

Let's not dilute it by casting blame far and wide , let's
fix this dog gone problem that the Catholic Church have
made worse over the years by covering it up in the most
criminal way by shuffling these priests around.

Must be a particular sad day for all Catholics but
as with Trump followers I don't think we will get anything other than
some blaming of anything other than their religion.
Do you guys believe God has a plan with all of this ?
Isn't that
usually how the unexplained is explained to make religious people accept?

Old 08-16-2018, 06:39 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,671,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedtothecoast View Post

Do you guys believe God has a plan with all of this ?

This question calls to mind the three children in Fatima, Portugal, who say they saw the Virgin Mary, and she gave them a few revelations.

If I'm not mistaken, she said that Benedict would be the last pope.

This could be the downfall of the RC church.

Old 08-16-2018, 09:38 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,667,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Nobody knows why or what to do to prevent it. So if you make answering that question a prerequisite to action, you'll never do anything.
Have to address the root problem before you can attempt to start figuring out a way to solve the problems it creates down the road.

I cannot just accept that NO ONE knows why they become this way or how to prevent it.

Old 08-16-2018, 12:50 PM

24,455 posts, read 23,140,757 times
Has the False Pope made any official statement yet?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies