Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 10:26 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times

Advertisements

Maybe he’s a full blown alcoholic. Maybe not

Old 09-28-2018, 10:27 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,878,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The FBI conducts background checks for federal nominees but the agency does not make judgments on the credibility or significance of allegations. Instead, the department compiles information about the nominee’s past and provides its findings to the agency that requested the background check. In this case, that would be the White House.

But if the FBI reopened the background investigation, agents could interview the accusers and witnesses and gather additional evidence or details. That could possibly corroborate or disprove the allegations, though the FBI would not reach a conclusion about Kavanaugh’s guilt or innocence. It would provide its findings to the Senate Judiciary Committee.

COULD A REOPENED INVESTIGATION RESULT IN CRIMINAL CHARGES?

There has been no suggestion that Kavanaugh may have committed a federal crime, so the FBI would not conduct a criminal investigation.

What would a reopened FBI investigation into Kavanaugh do?
Didn't read that article--

1--while it is true there is no evidence at this time to claim a FEDERAL crime was committed against Dr. Ford by Kavanaugh ---that was the FBI's response when presented with Dr. Ford's account initially--
There was no federal crime indicated and thus not something they would investigate like kidnapping or bank robbery==because apparently their background investigation was closed and couldn't be reopened w/o WH requesting it..

2--IF there is enough credible evidence that a CRIME--any crime--WAS committed then the FBI would turn that information over to the appropriate local authorities...
Depending on the statute of limitations---
For example--if the FBI is investigating a child's kidnapping and finds that the parents of the child have sold stolen merchandise to get money for the kidnapper/ransom (I know far fetched but having to think quickly) they are legally obligated to turn that information/evidence over to local authorities...
They can't ignore state crimes -- they just can't PROSECUTE them....very different

It is very likely this investigation will out Brett Kavanaugh as an illegal, underage drinker--and his friends
If they had been caught at the time, drunk and disorderly or drinking/driving, they would have been breaking the law...depending on their connections and any other crimes--property damage, public nuisance, fleeing the scene of an accident-they could have been issued tickets, arrested/taken to jail, had a trial, made a plea deal--
But considering his mother was a judge, I don't think Brett would have had a criminal record to prevent him from getting into Yale---

Does anyone think if Brett Kavanaugh was caught stealing beer from a convenience store or using a forged ID to buy it while underage that ANYTHING would have even gone into his juvenile record---much less adult one
Or would it just have disappeared???
How serious a crime would he have had to commit and be caught for doing to actually go to court???
If his mom was a judge???

Old 09-28-2018, 10:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,280,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Humor me, please. For just a moment, hypothesize that Kavanaugh just *might* be innocent. (Maybe picture him as a Democrat if that will make it easier for you, just a suggestion.) We are all talking about the enormous trauma a victim of sexual violence endures each time they have to relive it, every time they have to testify. We are sympathetic to that, many of us are empathetic even.

But we aren't even the least bit feeling sympathetic to someone who's been accused of something they might not have done??? An accusation that has ripped apart every facet of his life - again, just try to imagine yourself, how you would be reacting if you knew you were innocent.

Yet we instead say someone so fragile, so emotionally weak, is not fit to sit on the bench. On the contrary. I want a judge who gets it. Who knows what it's like to be in the depths, who will consider ALL sides and all facts and all reasoning before passing that judgement.

I believe Ford was sexually assaulted, probably several times, and memories of those events are mingling all these years later. I don't believe it was by Kavanaugh. If the truth really does "set you free"... then I hope both CBF & BK will one day be free from this no-win travesty. Doubtful.

As for Feinstein....she can't go down in flames fast enough. She has used Ford , no scratch that. She has ABUSED Ford. Despicable.
Kavanaugh probably doesn’t believe it either, because he was probably blackout drunk when he did it

Old 09-28-2018, 10:31 PM

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He sure didn't sound like a future supreme court justice, he was unhinged. He actually stated that this was a Clinton conspiracy in addition to all the insults to the senators.

We need fair judges, I don't see how anyone can consider his work for Ken Starr as anything but far right wing. Preparing questions on detailed sexual acts for a president and this could be our next SCJ. This is not a respected independent jurist.
You mean where the president put a cigar in the vagina of his 23-year old intern? And people have the nerve to bring up Anita Hill as if she’s some sort of hero when all she claimed was that her boss talked inappropriately to her. Do you think the young intern might have been taken advantage of? That whole balance of power thing so crucial to the me too movement? Is there any job more important to a young person starting out her career than working for the president? I actually never was against Clinton at the time when I was much closer in age to Lewinski, but 30 sees things a lot different than 49.

As for your other point, I actually thought he will be a lot like Kennedy since he clerked for him. He is the most moderate jurist on the short list. If he goes down you’re going to get Barret, and from what I hear she’s a lot more conservative.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:33 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,761,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
It really depends which Brett we are talking about. The one on Fox News claiming to be a virgin, or the one yesterday who wouldn’t shut up about how much he loved beer.
I also drank beer to excess in my late teens, but never to the point that I 'blacked out" and didn't remember what happened. I was also a virgin at the time. So I have a hard time understanding why people assume this scenario is implausible.

21,479 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Oh, I see the difference. That's the reason for the sarcastic face I added to the end of the post.
The Dems held up the information for a month because they knew the GOP would bury it in a procedural hole well before confirmation hearings were held in committee.
Bringing it to light at the eleventh hour was a political tactic used by the dems to avoid the GOP from burying it. Since it was too late to bury, the GOP tried to ignore it but the public wouldn't let them.
It's a very shrewd political move played brilliantly. When the Dems are dealing with vicious underhanded tactics from the Trump Cult, formerly known as the GOP, appropriate tactics are required. They gave us a swamp to play in, well get dirty like them too.

The fact that this disturbs you makes my day,......nay, it makes my week.

I hope this action reaches all the way to the planet Uranus and the rings around Uranus itch like a thousand fire ants for months to come.
Please, Democrats invented dirty politics around Supreme Court nominees.

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Humor me, please. For just a moment, hypothesize that Kavanaugh just *might* be innocent. (Maybe picture him as a Democrat if that will make it easier for you, just a suggestion.) We are all talking about the enormous trauma a victim of sexual violence endures each time they have to relive it, every time they have to testify. We are sympathetic to that, many of us are empathetic even.

But we aren't even the least bit feeling sympathetic to someone who's been accused of something they might not have done??? An accusation that has ripped apart every facet of his life - again, just try to imagine yourself, how you would be reacting if you knew you were innocent.

Yet we instead say someone so fragile, so emotionally weak, is not fit to sit on the bench. On the contrary. I want a judge who gets it. Who knows what it's like to be in the depths, who will consider ALL sides and all facts and all reasoning before passing that judgement. If this perp was not Kavanaugh, an investigation is the only way to draw that conclusion.

I believe Ford was sexually assaulted, probably several times, and memories of those events are mingling all these years later. I don't believe it was by Kavanaugh. If the truth really does "set you free"... then I hope both CBF & BK will one day be free from this no-win travesty. Doubtful.

As for Feinstein....she can't go down in flames fast enough. She has used Ford , no scratch that. She has ABUSED Ford. Despicable.
Why would you be so sure about the truthfulness and forthrightness of someone that has clearly shown he has no problem lying under oath...on multiple occasions...throughout the years? No one used Ford other than the one that pinned her down and covered her mouth in order to stifle screams for his own perverse pleasure and entertainment.

Old 09-28-2018, 10:34 PM

18,102 posts, read 15,676,604 times
Kavenaugh is interviewing for an extremely important and powerful judicial position -- the highest court in the country. Everyone should want candidates thoroughly vetted. Everyone should want any candidate's character assessed. Any claims of improper behavior should be investigated.

I don't care what political party people are members of. The highest court demands (or should) those who are appointed to serve on it for the rest of their working lives to be NON-partisan, to be rational, cogent, comport themselves and interpret the constitution, not be someone's political hack. Character does matter even if you think it shouldn't. The person who ranted, raved, shouted, emoted, lectured and obfuscated from answering what should be simple yes or no questions, demonstrated a temperament that does not match the qualities of a SCOTUS justice. Sorry, but he didn't.

Is he an alcoholic? I don't know, it's possible. He certainly has a history of drinking and he really really really likes his beer. But maybe he's not an alcoholic. Do you all care if a justice on the SCOTUS has a drinking problem? Is that the best candidate for the job? This is a job. How many of you have gone on a job interview or gone through a multi-phase recruiting process comprised of several interviews with lots of different people? I have. Rigorous ones. Did you guys rant, rave and lecture the people interviewing you?

Old 09-28-2018, 10:35 PM

14,776 posts, read 8,112,224 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtZFBO75omU

Old 09-28-2018, 10:36 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,442,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Clearly, you never partied hard in high school or college. Nothing wrong with that- it’s not a requirement to reach adulthood.

But you really have no idea what you’re talking about. It’s pretty obvious why he doesn’t want to acknowledge the binge drinking. It’s incredibly common, and ridiculously easy to black out when you’re partying. The problem, as you’ve highlighted, is that nobody wants to talk about underage alcohol abuse and what can happen. It would force us as a society to really take a look at what’s going on and why it happens. So people like you will insist these things don’t happen, and people like Brett will minimize or make excuses for their behavior, and try to get away with it, until
they can’t.
Correct, I didn't drink much in high school. It was much easier to get pot than alcohol in the late 70's.

You would be wrong though that I didn't party hard in college and well into my 20's.

People metabolize alcohol differently.

The fact that some of you cant hold alcohol doesn't mean there aren't millions of other people who can drink to excess without blacking out, passing out, or committing crimes they don't remember.

I have been very drunk many times in my life when I was younger without doing any of the above things.

Additionally, that fact that Kavanaugh was noted for "ralphing".....i.e. vomiting due to alcohol consumption is further proof to me that its unlikely there's an episode of black out drinking.

When you throw up, you effectively get rid of the last drink or two you had thereby accelerating the process of sobering up.

I can remember many times sticking a finger down my throat rather than continuing to suffer the misery of nausea and the room spinning. Once you throw up its much better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies