Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 63 13.55%
58-60 32 6.88%
55-57 61 13.12%
50-54 198 42.58%
49 or less 111 23.87%
Voters: 465. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2018, 01:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
The detail is that Kavanaugh lied. The law in MD changed when he was 17. Yes, before that it was 21 for hard spirits and 18 for beer. On July 1, 1982, when Kavanaugh was still 17, it changed to 21 for beer. Those who were 18, 19, and 20 were grandfathered in and remained legal. Under 18, like Kavanaugh was, they were subject to the new law and were not of legal drinking age until they turned 21.

I would have been willing to believe Kavanaugh misremembered and/or misspoke the first time he said it. But there have been countless articles pointing out the error and yet he still made the same false claim in sworn testimony.

Lying to Congress during your confirmation hearing is - to put it mildly - problematic.
That's quite possibly the weakest argument I've heard yet. Really, he claimed and it seemed even from your own information provided here that seniors who were already 18 were legal to drink. And really, underage drinking? This is your big thing to go after him for? Here I thought the left had sunk as low as possible. You keep lowering your standard each and every time.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:58 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I think she's much more than simple "confused". I think she's a stalker.

In sworn statements from several of her friends, they claim she told them years ago of the alleged assault, who did it, and what his professional status was at the time she was reporting this. He's in D.C. and she's living her life in Calf. but yet she know what bench he's sitting on.

Worse yet is when she referred to him during the senate hearing as "Bret". Not Bret Kavanaugh, not Mr. Kavanaugh, but only Bret. That's more like a term of endearment. People traumatized and victimized by person don't usually go around referring to them by first name basis.

Hopefully the FBI will investigate and have a criminal psychologist examine her statements. They may find out that she's a real loon.
Exactly!

No one questioned her about other traumatic events that may have contributed to her mental state, especially regarding her relationships with men (principally her father, husband, father figures, other boyfriends, etc).

And no one questioned her history of mental health (psychological trauma, therapies, medications, etc.) which might explain her medicated demeanor and her ability to turn her emotions on/off like a light switch.

Old 09-28-2018, 01:59 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,028,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennyone View Post
It’s absoluetly obvious that the judge was lying.....”I was studying, playing sports and going to church”......MY ARSE!!!!!!!!
People I know who graduated first in their class and went onto Ivy were precisely like that. Guess they had a whole hidden side I never knew about then, huh?

24,201 posts, read 19,219,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
So now letters of support that say "good luck", "we love you" and such is corroborating evidence now?
No, but they aren't any more corroboration for Kavanaugh then either, are they? And that's what was being addressed, someone's claim that Kavanaugh had 65 "references"

5,792 posts, read 5,111,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
When Kavanaugh just sat there with that ...He was waiting on one of those republicans to interrupt and save him.
Yup, it was so obvious. The whiny little man-child being scolded and having to face the boo boo that he committed. What a loser.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:00 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,908,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
And just like McCain, a FINAL FU before leaving.
Jeff Flake is no McCain. McCain had class, Flake is trash. He is only proposing a pause but it has to be voted on the Senate floor and it wont happen, we all know that. Too much Republicans who think we need a conservative on the court at all costs, even Flake.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:00 PM

89,059 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
How many with PhDs had to look it up?
I would hope, none. That's not all that unusual of a word. It even regularly appears in news articles.

Random news article...
Quote:
Earlier this year, Attorney General Gordon MacDonald announced in conjunction with Gov. Chris Sununu and the New Hampshire Police Association that the list would include only “allegations of misconduct (by police officers), which are sustained after an investigation,” and changed the name to Exculpatory Evidence Schedule.

Bissonnette and defense attorney Robin Melone criticized the decision, saying in a June “Bar News” op-ed that the decision wrongly tries to give police officers the same rights as defendants. It also relies on officers who are under review to report their status to a prosecutor.

“The ‘MacDonald Memo’ adopts a police-centered approach that is inconsistent with the government’s sacred constitutional obligation to disclose exculpatory evidence to defendants,” they wrote.
https://www.concordmonitor.com/NH-at...-list-19774151

Old 09-28-2018, 02:01 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,572,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
Nope. If the FBI comes out and says we have absolute concrete proof he did it, they won't care. They will either say the FBI is lying and politically motivated or that what happened 30+ years ago doesn't matter or some other pathetic justification. The reality is they really don't care - a majority of GOPers have already admitted that even if he's guilty, it doesn't matter as long as they get their guy on the bench and a political "win." Zero integrity whatsoever, pretty much the entire party at this point. Getting close to zero humanity, actually.
explain what could possibly serve as 'absolute concrete proof' he did it..

this should be fun.

Old 09-28-2018, 02:01 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,524,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAngus View Post
If the Democrats and Flake are so concerned with justice for Ms. Ford, then as part of deal to postpone the vote on Kavanaugh by one week for a FBI investigation, Ms. Ford can march right down to the Bethesda Police Department and file a formal complaint because there is no statute of limitations in Maryland. But that will not happen. And why not? Because filing a false complaint can result in criminal charges, as well as open up Ms. Ford to civil liability.
Also, you have to provide basic information about the alleged crime, including when and where it occurred. Without that, they would tell her that there is nothing to investigate. The FBI will do the same. In fact, they already have.

But if going through that cursory review process one more time gives Flake and Murkowski what they need, then why not?

Old 09-28-2018, 02:02 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,005,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Stop spouting that same old BS. Seeing as I'll never be in the same position as Kavanaugh, I can put it into a context an everyday American might face - being accused of a crime and questioned by police. The police use that tactic to keep people from calling a lawyer. They say if you're really innocent, you don't need a lawyer. Pretty much anyone with half a brain knows that is complete and utter BS. You know what I would do if I was questioned by police and was innocent? I would get a damn lawyer and say nothing as would most even semi-intelligent thinking people who were wrongly accused of a crime.

Exactly! Hasn't anyone watched Joe Kenda, Homicide Hunter!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies