Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2018, 03:59 PM

5,818 posts, read 2,670,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaGal View Post
Primary Care Doctors today do not make a lot of money. I don't think Internist do as well. The days of living up on the hill with nice cars are gone for doctors.
Comfortable six figures is a lot of money here in TN. Not so much in Southern California or NYC, Boston, or Bay Area. Back in college I used to deliver flowers, and yes, there are plenty of neighborhoods almost exclusively made up of doctors, with 600k-million plus dollar houses.

Quote:
You do not want Universal Healthcare.
Correct. Why should I pay for someone else's medical bills any more than I already am? More to the point (and I'm sure I'll get flack for this), this is America. If someone wants to sit and drink and smoke 3 packs a day and eat McDonalds until they die 30 years early, that's their right. The government should have no say over someones' free will (that is assuming they are a law abiding citizen). Take that mess to Europe, or Canada.

Quote:
The people in Canada who have money come to the USA for their care. The waiting lists in Canada is long - Our nieces husband is from Canada. Also their taxes are through the roof. How do you think that Universal Healthcare is paid for?
Maybe you misunderstood my post; I'm very aware of all of those things, and all you are doing is emphasizing my point. A lot of Canadians are very condescending toward us sometimes with their healthcare, how "free" it is. It's not free, nothing in life is.

If we go Canada's route all the smartest people won't want to be doctors anymore, and sure won't want to devote 20 years of their lives studying, taking out huge loans, to *not* make the big bucks. It's all about the dollar. Overall, quality of healthcare in the USA is excellent. I live in a medium sized city and everything you need is here and the care is excellent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2018, 04:04 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
medicare is NOT singlepayer....

medicare is an insurance a 75/25 insurance for which you pay through the nose and HAVE TO buy a supplemental insurance to cover the other charges

it is in no way a singlepayer (ONE ENTITY paying the ENTIRE bill)
Most so -called Single Payer Systems dont necessarily cover 100% of costs. There may be deductibles, co- pays and co- insurance as there are with Medicare, in the US.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:07 PM

24,632 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'm sure plenty of doctors would be happy making less money if they could entirely jettison health insurance which eats up profits.
Not when you have $200K in student loan debt.

I know a dentist who has a good $150K in student loan debt. Society is not going to punish these people by paying them less.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:09 PM

957 posts, read 1,133,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Doctors are over taxed.

Doctors making $500,000 a year are taxed at 30%.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2018

While billionaire CEO's are taxed at 15%.
Donald Trump vs. Warren Buffett: How Buffett's Taxes Prove Trump Wrong | Fortune
it's not doctoras are overtaxed, it's CEOs are undertaxed...

from what I've been told, read and seen the American hc private system is designed to screw the patients.
It's supercostly, that's why doctors earns so much...

Old 09-04-2018, 04:13 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmexman View Post
And that is one of the reasons why our healthcare system is as screwed up as it is and why we won't embrace universal healthcare.
Yep, some make half a mil a year, which is a lot of money no matter how you look at it. However, I do not think their salaries are a big contributor to the overall cost of healthcare in US. The whole system is designed to make money to massive corporations.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
If you mostly cherry pick cancer and vs Canada it does appear US outcomes are decent, though yours don’t universally show “better.” Since you appreciate quantity of info over quality, here’s a few links that suggest otherwise among all developed countries and a broader more representative set of outcomes.

WHO ranks the US 37th World Health Organization’s Ranking of the World’s Health Systems | thepatientfactor.com

Forbes ranked the US 11 of 11 (hardly liberals BTW) https://www.forbes.com/sites/danmunr.../#11eec2ef576f
Forbes is quoting the Commonwealth Fund which leans left as it relates to Universal Healthcare. Nonetheless, it’s rankings seem reasonable. The US does rank well in the:

Delivery / receipt of Preventative Care

Patient - Centered Care

It’s a mixed bag as it relates to efficiency.

The US ranks last :

Access to Healthcare

Equality of Care

Healthy lives- no surprise given 75% of us are overweight/ obese.

These rankings are consistent with the World Health Organization ( WHO).

Maybe the US should quit WHO and any other international org that does not show the US #1.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:22 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Athletes are grossly overpaid. Doctors make a lot of money because it takes years of school/experience to do what they do. And that would be saving lives & making lives better.

You try and take money away from doctors watch people stop wanting to be doctors. I can only imagine a country with universal healthcare with a shortage of doctors.
Pay should be secondary to a person who actually wants to be a healer. There would be no shortage of doctors even if their pay were cut significantly. We would simply have more people in the medical field who actually care more about patients than money. I do agree that pro athletes are way, way overpaid for playing a game. And the amounts far overshadow the amount a good doctor might make in a year. And honestly, I have no problem with doctors making a good wage for their services. But I must say, there is something to the OP. If I go to the doctor, and pay them cash for services, I usually end up paying somewhere between 30 to 60% less than if they'd filed it on my insurance. Which tells me they could offer their services at a fraction of the cost they are charging insurance companies, which would also be one of the reasons insurance companies charge such exorbitant fees. I'm sure I've oversimplified the matter somewhat, but there definitely is something to this.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:27 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Doctors are over taxed.

Doctors making $500,000 a year are taxed at 30%.
Tax Brackets (Federal Income Tax Rates) 2000 through 2018

While billionaire CEO's are taxed at 15%.
Donald Trump vs. Warren Buffett: How Buffett's Taxes Prove Trump Wrong | Fortune
Quote:
CEO's make over 300x more income than workers.
Top CEOs make more than 300 times the average worker | Fortune

But you will never hear a republican complain about CEO pay, instead republicans attack athletes and doctors for being overpaid (while they fight for further tax cuts for CEO's.)
https://www.npr.org/2018/07/31/63439...-gains-tax-cut
Wow, what a classic example of propaganda and disinformation.

You intentionally neglected to tell people that Warren Buffet does not pay himself a salary or wages.

And he doesn't need to. If Buffet wants $1 Million (or more) all he has to do is make a few clicks with his mouse to sell 100,000 shares of stock, and he has $1+ Million in cash to do what he pleases.

Since Buffet has no earned income, he does not pay federal income tax.

He does pay the 15% Capital Gains tax on the sale of his stocks, bonds, futures contracts and real estate.

That's why Buffet paid less in all taxes than his secretary did, because his secretary has a salary, while he does not.

The average CEO salary is only $231,080 a year.

https://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes111011.htm

You intentionally neglected to tell people that only 3% of all US businesses are publicly-traded corporations, and that they employ only 5.8% of all workers, which is a little less than 9 Million workers out of 156,007,000 workers.

Not only did you cherry-pick a small percentage of CEOs for propaganda purposes, you also intentionally neglected to tell people that CEOs are not paid entirely in cash.

Yes, it's true that the CEO for Anthem Blue Cross was paid $23 Million one year, but it's also true that he was paid $7 Million in cash and $16 Million in Anthem Blue Cross stock options.

So your claim that CEOs make 300x what worker make is false.

Not only are you cherry-picking 3% of all CEOs, you're cherry-picking a small percentage of that 3%, because some CEOs of publicly-traded corporations only earn $1 Million to $3 Million annually, including stock-options.

And you're including non-cash compensation.

Comparing the total compensation package of a CEO to only the hourly wage of a worker is a false comparison.

To make a comparison that is not disingenuous, then you need to include the total compensation for employees, instead of merely their hourly wages.

To calculate the total compensation for employees, you would need to add together the hourly wage, the total value of State unemployment benefits, the total value of federal unemployment benefits, the total value of worker's compensation benefits, the total value of Social Security benefits, the total value of healthcare benefits, and all other compensatory benefits.

The amount CEOs are paid is totally irrelevant.

Since only 5.8% of workers work for a publicly-traded corporations, that means 94.2% of workers will not benefit from any scheme to cap or reduce the compensation of CEOs.

Those 5.8% of workers who work for a publicly-traded corporation would not see a wage increase if CEO compensation was capped. If you capped CEO compensation at $2 Million for example, the other $5 Million paid to the CEO of Anthem Blue Cross would not go to workers, rather it would be kept as cash reserves, or used to buy back stocks, or used to pay down debt, or used for capital investments.

Even if that weren't true, the money still wouldn't go to the workers, instead it would be spread around upper level management, like the COO, CFO, CSO, the presidents and vice-presidents, project managers and other managers.

So, stop with the propaganda already.

Old 09-04-2018, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Doctors in Canada are grossly underpaid. No thanks. You’re welcome to see a brain surgeon at the lowest bigger after a 10 month wait if you want.

I’ll stick with the highest bigger highly specialized doctors of America any day of the week.
Says you in Honolulu.

I imagine healthcare is a variable in Canada as it is in the US.

Canada is larger than the US with about 1/10 th the population.

The US has states without a single Level 1 Trauma Center.

There are states and regions within states where the lack of population creates serious healthcare access challenges, no different than remote parts of Canada.

Old 09-04-2018, 05:09 PM

19,029 posts, read 14,205,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It appears that you have no idea what the sorry state of medical education was like in the early 1900s.
And you can bet the farm that anything not controlled by the AMA was deemed quackery, regardless of its efficacy.
*acupuncture
*osteopathy
*chiropractic

http://pjmedia.com/blog/medical-licensing-laws/
http://rense.com/general33/gang.htm
Quote:
The Flexner Report that resulted in massive changes in the way physicians in the US (and Canada) are taught was not generated by the government but by medical educators. The medical schools that ended up being closed were akin to the for profit colleges of today, many of which are folding as they produce graduates with heavy debt and poor job prospects.
And you can believe that bought and paid for hatchet job !
Quote:
Every university in the country could open a new medical school if it wished. However, those new physicians cannot practice without doing residencies, those residencies must be funded, and Congress controls the funding. Attempts to get more funding (supported by the AMA, by the way) have gone nowhere for years.

https://www.ama-assn.org/ama-builds-...al-education-0

"'Current data show that the number of U.S. medical student graduates is growing at a higher rate than the number of residency slots. Without expanding the number of residency positions available to future classes of medical school graduates, the number of graduates seeking positions will eventually exceed what is available,' said AMA Board Member and medical student Karthik V. Sarma, M.S. 'The AMA will continue to vigorously advocate for the continued and expanded contribution by all health care payers at the federal, state, and local levels, as well as private sources, to adequately fund GME [Graduate Medical Education]. We believe that it is imperative that efforts to expand the number of medical school graduates also address the need to ensure the availability of an adequate number of GME slots to meet the newly created demand.'”

Perhaps you would be happy seeing a doctor who has never had to pass a licensing exam that shows he has a fundamental knowledge base. I certainly would not, any more than I would want to drive over a bridge designed by an unlicensed engineer.
What makes you think that a license to commit manslaughter without criminal liability insures competence?
If that was true, why would there be civil suits for malpractice?
PUH-lease.
I've seen my share of incompetent 'licensed' demigods of medicine who put casts on wrong, made inaccurate diagnoses, and were obligated to follow procedures that they knew were approved but worthless, lest they risk censure by 'the system.'

Personally, I'd prefer total deregulation of the medical field, and the end to "controlled substances."
Instead of malpractice insurance, satisfaction guaranteed, or your money back!
- - -and nothing more.

OH, and zero public subsidy, too.

LET'S RESTORE HEALTH CARE AS A RIGHT - NOT A GOVERNMENT RESTRICTED PRIVILEGE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies