Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2018, 10:01 AM

8,377 posts, read 4,361,409 times

Advertisements

Waite till you hit about 60 years old, and 90% of your age group is at least moderately overweight.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:07 AM

29,531 posts, read 9,704,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Waite till you hit about 60 years old, and 90% of your age group is at least moderately overweight.
Interesting. Never thought along those lines, but now that you have me doing so, I'd say the numbers are reversed! I'm just over 60 now, not as fit as I used to be but not overweight and most of my friends and family are not overweight, even moderately.

Still..., I know age is no friend to staying slender. I think it much depends on life-long eating and exercise habits. I never had soda in the house while growing up. My wife and I have never had soda in the house for our kids either, both kids not overweight today either. My wife and I walk just about every day, at least a mile. My wife is a vegetarian. I'm not, but I have to thank my wife for always pushing us toward healthier foods, low-to-no fat, organic, little-to-no sugar. I draw the line at IN-N-OUT though. No way am I giving up my two cheeseburgers with grilled onions, fries and a milk that I have been enjoying since I was 16...

Old 09-10-2018, 10:54 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,565,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I wonder what Oprah would have to say about this embarrassing thread...

Oprah is obsessed with her weight. In an interview a few years ago she said if she could change one thing about her life it would be her problem with being over weight.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:14 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,241,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
People should aspire to be thinner, and more healthy. Not accept obesity, poor eating, and exercise habits, and an UNHEALTHLY lifestyle.
I think people should aspire to be the best they can be, no doubt. But, they should also have clothing that fits them, looks attractive, and allows them to dress for work, leisure, etc.

Shaming heavy people for being heavy is wrong. I don't see the people who shame heavy folks out there berating model-thin people and there are plenty of them with health issues, both mental and physical.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Hey eat all you want, and look like a whale. I don't care. Just don't raise my insurance rates for your poor choices.
And, what of the women who are anorexic and wind up needing hospitalizations and surgery? You don't want to cover them, either?

Just checking.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
And women with C and larger cups. I get tired of shoulder seams hanging half-way down to my elbows.
Thank you. I hate that.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
Fat people wear clothes, too. I'd rather see them in something that fits instead of rolls of fat hanging out, which I see quite often. I suspect most of them don't have full length mirrors.
Or, maybe they prefer not to look in them if the only clothing they can find that is fashionable doesn't fit them properly.

LOFT may bring back the full length mirror!

Old 09-10-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I'm northern European/Scandinavian but have always been thin.

Marilyn was an hourglass shape and those women can gain weight while remaining proportional, unlike a pear (hips) or apple (belly) shape.

This website has her official weight, height and measurements at various ages, and photos of official documents.
Marilyn Monroe's True Size. Her clothing tells the truth.

August 2, 1945
Blue Book Modeling Agency
5’ 6”, 120lbs
36-24-34
“Size 12”

February 8, 1954
DOD ID Card
5’ 5 1/2”, 118lbs

August 5, 1962
LA Coroner Medical Report
5’ 5 1/25”, 117lb
Yeah... while I agree that Marilyn would not fit the current Hollywood and runway standards of bony women, I also agree that she wasn't heavy by any stretch of the modern imagination.

She was, however, "soft."

She didn't seem to work out. So, people assume she was a bit plush and consider her an icon for women who aren't thin.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's kind of the whole point. There is increasing demand for clothes that fit and look the way they are supposed to look on actual women, and not walking clothes hangers. I don't necessarily even mean plus-sized women, either, just normal-looking women. I used to wear a size 2 or 4. I am also 5'1", and even as a size 2 or 4, I had a very curvy figure, so there was no way stuff that was designed for a Kate Moss lookalike was going to look right on me. My body is just not shaped that way, and nothing short of literal starvation will ever change that.
Yeah... I can be a size 2 or a size 12 (today's sizes.... when I was in HS, what is now a size 2 was more like a 4 or a 6) and stuff still won't fit properly because I'm ACTUALLY curvy. I have boobs. I have hips. I have a defined waist.

How defined the waist is is dependent on what size I am... I fluctuate. But... I never look like a blob because I have wide hip bones and larger breasts.

Coke bottle. I think that was the shape. I'm always some variant of a Monroe sort of figure.

Old 09-10-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Lol, I guarantee every single obnoxious person on this thread insulting this woman is an out of shape, fat ass who does nothing but pound on their keyboard while stuffing their fat ugly faces. 100% guarantee.
Come now... they work their arms so they're buff. Nevermind the chicken legs and beer gut that rivals a pregnant belly in the 3rd trimester.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies