Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 08:28 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Democrat left? Really? This is the high dollar fashion industry that has come up with "curvy".

They're trying to maintain a market and not insult their customers.

The fashion industry using "curvy" is a product of the commercial marketing of clothing, not the democrat party.
I know. Bad haircut? Must be the democrats. Crappy floor in your apartment? Must be the democrats. Your favorite store changes its refund policy in a way you don't like? Must be the democrats.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:37 PM

8,196 posts, read 2,845,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
Yet again we see the habitually dishonest, "Politically correct" Democrat left trying to forcefully impose their unhelpful revisions of common words and terms onto our society.

Curvy has traditionally meant Marilyn Monroe type sexy curves, not rolls of blubber that are either unattractively bursting out in all the wrong places, or that are being carefully covered by tent-like garments designed to hide the blubber (curves according to the "Political correctness" Democrat left speech and thought police).

To apply the term "curvy" to women who are clearly fat is a dishonest and misleading usage of that term. I do not accept it.

Curvy is Scarlett Johansen, it is not Rosanne Barr.
You should be the narrator for the runway shows.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:39 PM

5,717 posts, read 3,147,283 times
You really should post a "not safe for appetite" warning.

Old 09-08-2018, 09:38 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
And frankly, my own experience is that 6-8-10 size clothing sells out first
That's irrelevant to women who wear a size 22 - and their choices are probably about half of the choices for a 6-8-10 woman, even if the clothing is sold out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
The legitimization of obesity is a symptom of the morbid left.
The condemnation of overweight women is a symptom of the self-righteous right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
Also, if/when the left promotes healthy choices, tries to get sugar drinks out of school vending machines, morons claim the left is at it again. Then too, when arguing that "curvy women" are people too, no less deserving of clothes same as other women, this is "legitimizing" obesity.
The hypocrisy is stunning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
it is not normal and healthy. the media shouldnt be normalizing it. its disgusting and if you're 50 lbs overweight you aren't pretty
Maybe all the plus-sized women - myself included at a size 14-16 - should run around naked. I wonder how fast folks with this sentiment would be pushing for better clothing in plus sizes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
So, LOFT launched a Plus size line and had a Plus size model. How’s this bad?
Right? Astounding.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:23 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Yes, overweight people - men and women should have decent clothing choices.

But - that doesn't make obesity OK. It should never be OK.

10-20 lbs more than ideal weight, depending on height, is manageable. Beyond that - no, overweight/obesity is not OK - it IS irresponsible.

At present, I am about eight pounds overweight. With a height of 5' 11", it's not a problem - but at my age - 76 - I would do better to lose it. Easier on the joints. But, this is a weight I've had for 20 years at least. So far, I'm fine. No ailments, no medication, no HBP.

Otoh, every obese man and woman I worked with has died, two women under 50, one woman at age 60. A tall man, overweight by about 75 lbs., died suddenly at 67.

Worse yet, my 51 y/o son, 6' 4" - 100-200 lbs overweight since his 20's - died in his sleep a few months ago - but not until several stints in the hospital beginning in 2013 for congestive heart failure, high blood pressure and a-fib. Given his history, both his wife and I expected he might not make it another five years. Hospitalization costs alone the past five years were well over $100k. Pleading on exercise, purchase of a Total Gym and numerous health club memberships long before 2013 accomplished nothing. He wouldn't go and wouldn't use the Total Gym.

So - an early death was inevitable. No - obesity is NOT OK. I am, of course, unspeakably sad at his death - but I am angry, too - because everything he experienced could have been avoided. He wasn't stupid - just in denial. Glorification of big and beautiful is just another form of denial.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-08-2018 at 10:31 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 10:28 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
That's irrelevant to women who wear a size 22 - and their choices are probably about half of the choices for a 6-8-10 woman, even if the clothing is sold out.

The condemnation of overweight women is a symptom of the self-righteous right.

The hypocrisy is stunning.

Maybe all the plus-sized women - myself included at a size 14-16 - should run around naked. I wonder how fast folks with this sentiment would be pushing for better clothing in plus sizes?

Right? Astounding.
I disagree with the bolded.

I think it is more a status and social class distinction rather than a political one...looking at both my own family, and the rest of the world.

Politically, the women in my family run the gamut from hard left, bleeding heart liberal attorneys to the wives of men who have described themselves as being to the right of Attila the Hun (and those women share those views).

One thing they all have in common though....they are all high status women who were raised that it is unacceptable to be overweight. Many probably see it as a character flaw that reveals a lack of control/a lack of discipline.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
...as a character flaw that reveals a lack of control/a lack of discipline.
For the most part, imo, that is true. I learned in my 20's it's all about food choices - whole, fresh, unprocessed- and portion control. I've never had a weight problem - or, consequently, any health problems, either. Practicing lifelong good habits relative to diet and weight pays many dividends in old age.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 09-08-2018 at 11:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2018, 11:04 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
For the most, imo, that is true. I learned in my 20's it's all about food choices - whole, fresh, unprocessed- and portion control. I've never had a weight problem - or, consequently, any health problems, either. Practicing lifelong good habits relative to diet and weight pays many dividends in old age.

What's wrong with giving obese women more fashion choices?

Old 09-08-2018, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
What's wrong with giving obese women more fashion choices?
Nothing. As I said here:
Quote:
Yes, overweight people - men and women should have decent clothing choices.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:23 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Nothing. As I said here - didn't you read it?
Sorry--mistaken identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies