Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 11:34 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times

Advertisements

Women come In all shapes and sizes. I love em all.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:37 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,088,500 times
I read the article in Yahoo and then scrolled through some of the comments at the bottom of the page and I’ll say they were terribly insulting and downright cruel. The comments on here aren’t as bad at least right now but it’s quite evident that society in general despises overweight people, especially women, even if they are still attractive and wear nice clothes and are clean and educated. The women’s comments were so snotty and the men’s were just as awful. So I guess all the commenters are super studs with six packs or are beauty queens.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:43 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,758,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinaTwo View Post
I read the article in Yahoo and then scrolled through some of the comments at the bottom of the page and I’ll say they were terribly insulting and downright cruel. The comments on here aren’t as bad at least right now but it’s quite evident that society in general despises overweight people, especially women, even if they are still attractive and wear nice clothes and are clean and educated. The women’s comments were so snotty and the men’s were just as awful. So I guess all the commenters are super studs with six packs or are beauty queens.
Ha..... Very funny. I have a manly one pack.....

Old 09-08-2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Ha..... Very funny. I have a manly one pack.....

Old 09-09-2018, 12:08 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I hate to tell you this, but many of the women in that group ARE pretty average. It’s regular fashion models who are far off the average. The average American woman wears a size 14 dress, while high fashion models wear size 2 or 4. Maybe a 6. They look good on camera, but if you saw them in person, you’d think they were bony.
...a sobering thought. And you're right, in a group of average American women, most of those models would not stand out as being especially fat.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:26 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Why’s this a left vs. right issue?

I’ve seen the crowds at Trump rallies. Plenty of those women are plus sized.

They all seem to be wearing clothing. Ergo, there’s a market.

Old 09-09-2018, 12:59 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,525,563 times
I'm sorry...there is curvy, like jennifer lopez, or sofia vergara, and there is fat, like these obese models. I don't care if someone is fat, but i disagree with sugarcoating it and calling it curvy. I think they should have all shapes and sizes for fashion shows. But if you are fat, realize that you are not going to fit into one airplane seat, and buy 2. Don't take up half my seat too. That is the only time someone being fat affects me.

Old 09-09-2018, 02:44 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
This isn't a political issue, it's a marketing decision. Fashion shows like this exist because there is demand for them. It may come as a shock to some of the critics, but fat women like clothes, too. Get over it.

Old 09-09-2018, 03:14 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It would be interesting for Loft to host a fashion show for "real" women. That is, a variety of sizes and normal clothes that women actually will be wearing in public that season.

Oprah did a show a couple years in a row hosted by Target. Real women, real clothing trends.

Not the stick figures dressed in God knows what that no one will really wear. Or maybe no one outside of LA or NYC will actually wear.

I'm not sure we need a whole fashion show for heavy women.

I'm not sure where those stats of height/weight are coming from - or else, Austin is full of much thinner people than the rest of the US. Which is possible.
Weight definitely tends to vary by region. I've been living in SoCal for years and truly overweight people seem to be in the minority. When I visit family in the midwest, it's a much different story. The US has a serious weight problem, even many children are overweight these days. I don't believe people should be villified for being overweight. Constant criticism and making people feel bad is not going to help most make healthier choices. I don't think an unhealthy weight should be celebrated either. There has to be acceptance of a middle ground, where people don't have to be "skinny," to feel attractive but should be encouraged and supported in striving for a healthy range.

Genetics do play a role. The idea that everyone is the same and it's simply a matter of calories consumed vs those burned through exercise is false. Two people can have the exact same food and exercise amounts and be vastly different weights. Many overweight people have to work a lot harder than most people to stay at a healthy weight. Our culture could stand to be more sensitive to this fact and encourage people to work within their individual reality. There is a good size range between model thin and overweight to the point of health problems.

Nice, well fitting clothing is appreciated by people of all sizes, everyone has the right to strive to look their best whether they are working to change their weight or not.

Last edited by detshen; 09-09-2018 at 03:27 AM..

Old 09-09-2018, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
This isn't a political issue, it's a marketing decision. Fashion shows like this exist because there is demand for them. It may come as a shock to some of the critics, but fat women like clothes, too. Get over it.
I like this. Excellent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies