Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2018, 10:47 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,538,660 times

Advertisements

Most American men are fat and are married to fat women so.....

Old 09-08-2018, 10:51 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom Jenkins View Post
it is not normal and healthy. the media shouldnt be normalizing it. its disgusting and if you're 50 lbs overweight you aren't pretty
It's not the media.

Corporate America is marketing to it. Let the market decide.

Larger women need clothes.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:55 AM

24,509 posts, read 24,204,357 times
When I married my late husband, I weighed 132 lbs. 5'6". The wedding card he bought for me had a bride and groom locked in a kiss with her thoughts saying "No more dieting!" Then for our first Valentine's Day he bought me a 5lb box of chocolates!!! I still didn't get the hint. I was just so upset that he bought me that. So I went down to 123 lbs. He finally had to tell outright that I was too skinny. 150 seemed to be perfect for me.

The posts in here make me sick. Kudos to whoever said most of them were married or dating "them". Aholes.

Old 09-08-2018, 10:57 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,384,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Take a drive through Conservative America and you'll see that the vast majority of women are as big or bigger than she is. Hell, even in Liberal America she's about average.

How can people get outraged that they have a model that actually represents the average American woman? It's like people are in denial about the obesity epidemic here.
That doesn’t mean we have to legitimize it.

Old 09-08-2018, 11:04 AM

29,551 posts, read 9,729,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Take a drive through Conservative America and you'll see that the vast majority of women are as big or bigger than she is. Hell, even in Liberal America she's about average.

How can people get outraged that they have a model that actually represents the average American woman? It's like people are in denial about the obesity epidemic here.
Conservative America? Hell, just travel to other countries where people don't indulge the way Americans do, and suddenly you realize you're not seeing obese people everywhere like you do in America, nothing like you do in America!

This doesn't mean that large people/women or men should be shamed or not treated with respect, just because now they have a real problem being overweight, most in America who can honestly say they didn't see it coming, thanks largely to parents who either didn't know better or didn't care, probably overweight themselves, as we see all the time. Obese parents sitting at food courts in malls, stuffing themselves with junk food and teaching their kids to "enjoy" the same, apparently without a second thought.

Better than shaming these people, I think, perhaps to keep pushing at health education in school, to give even youngsters a fighting chance to know better, and of course there is no good reason to sell crap to kids in school. None. Feeding kids unhealthy foods or drinks at school is just dumb, while trying to teach how to have better health, avoid disease? Hardly gets dumber than that, yet..., there are people who are even dumber than that!

Old 09-08-2018, 01:09 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,097,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
That doesn’t mean we have to legitimize it.
No, but we have to clothe it.

Old 09-08-2018, 01:29 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
So, LOFT launched a Plus size line and had a Plus size model. How’s this bad?

Old 09-08-2018, 01:32 PM

37,221 posts, read 19,219,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
How nice, celebrate obesity as something to accept and treat as if it's something 'normal' and 'healthy.'

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/curv...211521184.html
If you don't have enough ante to get in the game, don't play. Simple.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,228,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
She isn't obese. She's a typically-sized American woman.
I think the typically sized American woman is obese. At least according to medical height/weight charts.

That said, those shown on the runway here certainly are in that category. There will always be certain body shapes that can't be changed by weight loss into the "ideal", it just doesn't work that way. I'm fine with getting more towards a more common "ideal" than we've had. It would be almost a throwback to what used to be considered ideal, ie: a woman who clearly wasn't starving. I'm not celebrating fat though and nobody else should either. I know I need to loose weight to live a healthier and more comfortable life because I've been up and down on the scale and have experience with the better parts. We shouldn't accept anything less as a goal even if we are individually willing to put up with the problems of excess weight.

Old 09-08-2018, 08:20 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
Good for them.

The average is now size 14? It seems just a decade or two ago that the average was somewhere between 8 - 12.
Well, turns out I'm out of date too - average size is now 16-18.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/chrissymahl...wV#.gbMdq828qb

I'd say that most of the women in that show run around 16-18, with some obvious 22s and 24s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies