Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2019, 07:19 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The left tends to defend the idea that people shouldn't be discriminated against purely for belonging to a minority. You can certainly argue and where necessary use applicable law against specific persons in that minority, as some rabid mullahs found out to their loss. Heck, Denmark has historically taken all sort of incoming for allowing neo-Nazis free speech including access to the radio waves, and that's certainly a minority that wants to dismantle the majority culture.

Everybody gets to have their say, then a vote. As Voltaire probably didn't say, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." If Western enlightenment ideals can't handle a 1% minority disagreeing with them, then we may as well close shop and go home. Perhaps I have more trust in those ideals being sound.
What I'm saying is neither should Mullahs nor neo-Nazis be entering the country from outside and setting up residence to be there to have a say to begin with. If there's going to be immigration, and there doesn't have to be, it should be from places that are the most similar and friendly to the receiving country. It should not be from the most diverse places from that country. That's backwards and can only dismantle the receiving culture.

And much of Europe and even America is stifling speech and cultural expression to protect, shield and placate immigrants and diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2019, 07:27 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,106,175 times
This seems like a dumb thread to me. There have always been pick-pockets in Europe, and elsewhere. Any traveler should know this and take measures. But there are not bands of Muslim thugs wandering around, trying to rob or worse any unsuspecting tourists. When you travel anywhere, you take reasonable precautions. In fact, if I were traveling to any big city in the US, I would take the same precautions. (I just got back from a trip to France and Spain.)

Old 11-11-2019, 09:40 PM

8,155 posts, read 3,684,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Happened to my dad in Barcelona. The thief got his entire wallet, with ID and everything.

Be warned: The scumbags station themselves inside the subway car, right by the door, snatch the tourist's wallet just as the door starts to close, and jump out. And they're brazen. The guy reached into my dad's FRONT POCKET, and when my dad reacted within a second, the guy was outside, on the platform. He was looking at my dad, laughing, as the train pulled away.

Pick-pocketing has been going on at the major tourist attractions forever. You want to walk Las Ramblas , you carry your backpack in the front. As simple as that. And obviously be vigilant in public transport.

P.S. had a great time in Spain this summer. Walking late at night, with kids, totally and completely safe. Just too short.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:48 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,116,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Grasshopper View Post
This seems like a dumb thread to me. There have always been pick-pockets in Europe, and elsewhere. Any traveler should know this and take measures. But there are not bands of Muslim thugs wandering around, trying to rob or worse any unsuspecting tourists. When you travel anywhere, you take reasonable precautions. In fact, if I were traveling to any big city in the US, I would take the same precautions. (I just got back from a trip to France and Spain.)
Yeah, my husband lived in Spain for a couple of years about 20 years ago. Had his class ring stolen in a mugging. It's not new.

We went to Italy this year. Had no problems.

Old 11-11-2019, 09:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,668,310 times
The "don't go to Europe, my dad had his wallet stolen" comments are what they are. I live in Florida and we dont leave anything valuable outside and always make sure all doors are locked, and guns handy just in case.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:20 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,343,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The "don't go to Europe, my dad had his wallet stolen" comments are what they are. I live in Florida and we dont leave anything valuable outside and always make sure all doors are locked, and guns handy just in case.
Yeah, so by those RWNJ standards, folks better not go to Florida then, or Texas, or Virginia, or South Dakota, or Illinois, or...

I guess folks should just stay at home and board up their windows and bar their doors.

Ken

PS I actually KNOW a RWNJ who says right out that every time she gets home the very first thing she does is go room by room through her house with her gun drawn.

I sure hope to God no one ever tries to throw her a surprise party.

As I've said many times, Conservatives are simply cowards - afraid of EVERYTHING and EVERYONE.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:50 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
What I'm saying is neither should Mullahs nor neo-Nazis be entering the country from outside and setting up residence to be there to have a say to begin with. If there's going to be immigration, and there doesn't have to be, it should be from places that are the most similar and friendly to the receiving country. It should not be from the most diverse places from that country. That's backwards and can only dismantle the receiving culture.

And much of Europe and even America is stifling speech and cultural expression to protect, shield and placate immigrants and diversity.
Given your disdain for cultures and people other than those who look and talk like you, it's probably best that you don't leave home, except perhaps to attend a cross-burning or Identity Evorpa meeting.

Old 11-11-2019, 10:57 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,883,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Given your disdain for cultures and people other than those who look and talk like you, it's probably best that you don't leave home. Just stay in your own little provincial, nativist bubble.
I see you never let up with the ad hominin. Actually I don't particularly have any dislike or anything against any cultures and their people, but I dislike that they are all coming to live and work here. Whether I go about in America, or to France or England one should see the people of that culture like it always was until not too many years ago, and not masses of foreigners who now live there altering it.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:25 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,364,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
I see you never let up with the ad hominin. Actually I don't particularly have any dislike or anything against any cultures and their people, but I dislike that they are all coming to live and work here. Whether I go about in America, or to France or England one should see the people of that culture like it always was until not too many years ago, and not masses of foreigners who now live there altering it.
Oh yeah. And I'm supposed to be impressed when you say something like "You're fine with me, but not when more than a few of your type are in my neighborhood?" Come off it, you're not fooling anyone. I call it like it is --- and sorry, you don't get a pass on this.

Culture doesn't stay static, it's a living thing that evolves. Your comment about culture is like saying cave dwelling is a more authentic form of housing.

Last edited by silverkris; 11-11-2019 at 11:57 PM..

Old 11-12-2019, 03:16 AM

9,049 posts, read 3,527,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
My son spent the entire summer traveling Germany and guess what?!

No crisis, no problems.
Things change pretty quickly don't they.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies