Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2018, 11:41 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,373,552 times

Advertisements

The left is turning America into the laziest stupidest country on the planet. Coddle the delicate snowflakes so they don't get scared and shed liberal tears.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2018, 11:57 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
please try.
Ideally, education is an all-encompassing proposition in which the child learns through fair (hopefully) evaluation techniques (otherwise known as grades). Successes indicate mastery while failures simply mean, for whatever reason, the student didn't master the material...however you live to learn another day at this point.

The failures are a key component in education because they are just kids and not operating on hearts, changing brake pads, filling cavities, or installing furnaces...yet.

Recognizing failure is step 1 in how you reduce future failure. Continuous failures indicate a real problem when it comes to functionality in the future.

I want my heart surgeon, mechanic, dentist and HVAC man/woman to be long removed from the "living to learn another day" part of educational development. Mainly because I need my ticker, my car not to go through a house, my teeth to eat, and my furnace to keep me warm.

Cuz at that point...it's kind of a big deal if they ain't batting at a high percentage...most notably because I'll be severely injured or killed as a result.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:18 PM

13,973 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by what'd i miss View Post
please try.
Upon further reflection, anyone willing to type what you did will never be someone that I could possibly reason with, so why try?

Your post embodies the "self-esteem is more important than knowledge" paradigm that typifies the New Age of education since the 90s, and I am an old fashioned champion of objective grades as reflection of mastery and the larger meritocracy where both success and failure are easily quantified. You and I may as well be from two different planets.

So no, I won't try. I'd be more successful trying to teach trigonometry to my cats.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:37 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,496,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Upon further reflection, anyone willing to type what you did will never be someone that I could possibly reason with, so why try?

Your post embodies the "self-esteem is more important than knowledge" paradigm that typifies the New Age of education since the 90s, and I am an old fashioned champion of objective grades as reflection of mastery and the larger meritocracy where both success and failure are easily quantified. You and I may as well be from two different planets.

So no, I won't try. I'd be more successful trying to teach trigonometry to my cats.
Educational methods have been going down the tubes since the introduction of "New Math" in 1964. Cursive handwriting and penmanship has become a relic of the past. How do people sign checks ...with "block printing"? Spelling and grammar have suffered badly, as well! How many times have you seen posts on CD with scant knowledge of the proper usage of there, their and they're ...your, you're and the infamous "to vs. too! It's too much!

But, my cat did graduate from the prestigious Mar-A-Lago School of Business and still can't balance my checkbook!

Old 09-26-2018, 12:41 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
This policy is unfair to the students who bust their behinds and do the work. Why should someone get a grade if they haven't done the work? SMFH
It sends a terrible message, doesn't it? 'These students are only going to get half of the highest grade you can get, because they did....nothing.'

Old 09-26-2018, 12:46 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
Educational methods have been going down the tubes since the introduction of "New Math" in 1964. Cursive handwriting and penmanship has become a relic of the past. How do people sign checks ...with "block printing"? Spelling and grammar have suffered badly, as well! How many times have you seen posts on CD with scant knowledge of the proper usage of there, their and they're ...your, you're and the infamous "to vs. too! It's too much!

But, my cat did graduate from the prestigious Mar-A-Lago School of Business and still can't balance my checkbook!
Younger people don't even use checks, but you make a good point. There are other important documents requiring a signature.

I predict that future documents will be signed using a fingerprint and the government will then have an excuse to maintain everyone's fingerprints in one giant database that can be used against us at any time.

Old 09-26-2018, 12:46 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,756,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
In the video she holds up a sheet of paper with the instruction that there will be no zero's and the lowest grade given will be 50%.
These kids are in for a huge surprise when they go out and get jobs. You don't do your work, you are not entitled to 50% of your pay, you are fired.

The people who create these policies are either extremely evil because they know this, or are the dumbest tools on the earth for believing this was a good idea to "protect" the child from....humiliation? Low self esteem? What's their excuse? Instead of thinking it through to the long term. Better to be humiliated by a poor grade when you're still young and it's easier to change that around than wait until you've graduated and then have the real world smash you in the face.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post

That's 2 times in 2 days that I've been entertained by your posts. How have I missed how hilarious you are?

Old 09-26-2018, 12:48 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye77 View Post
They should have put her on "double secret probation"
Dean Wormer is no longer around to do it.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:01 PM

23,568 posts, read 17,245,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Good for the teacher, but it was written policy on the handbook.

https://www.nbc4i.com/news/u-s-world...-in/1473439237
So much for the law guaranteeing every kid an education.

It may be mandatory but doesn't need to be effective.

Do not disturb! Teacher unions at work.

Old 09-26-2018, 01:09 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,765,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
It sends a terrible message, doesn't it? 'These students are only going to get half of the highest grade you can get, because they did....nothing.'
An F is still an F, whether it’s based on a score of 50% or 0%. I doubt that any kid who cares about her/his grade is seriously upset by this. I sure never cared about the details of someone else’s failing grade. The other kids - well, they won’t care either, will they?

There could well be major problems at this school, but I doubt this policy is a very significant factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies