Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many votes will Brett Kavanaugh get for confirmation in the Senate?
61 or more 14 6.25%
58-60 7 3.13%
55-57 13 5.80%
50-54 144 64.29%
49 or less 46 20.54%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2018, 06:38 PM

39,076 posts, read 51,246,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
The Congress has rarely expanded the USA supreme court. Expanding the supreme court as you suggested would be political suicide for the Democrats. Only left extremist are advocating such a measure. Such an act would destabilize the USA government. A subsequent Republican government would reduce or further expand the supreme court.

You are not an independent, but a left wing extremist who is advocating a "by any means" policy.

I'm confidant that the vast majority of Americans will not advocate expanding the supreme court simply to annul the conservative advantage on the supreme court. That only happens in countries like Venezuela, dictatorships, or one party countries.

Forgot to mentioned, no corporation regardless of political affiliation will advocate or support such a policy. An unstable government is very bad for business.
Roosevelt proposed it in 1937. It died when the court agreed to stop torpedoing his New Deal programs. I doubt the court is going to repeal Roe and same sex marriage but doing that would be the spark that ignites the call for a less-biased court. By 2024 Dems will very possibly control the government and younger people will be taking power. Look out!

Old 10-05-2018, 06:38 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,644,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
No, they should be overturned.
Why would you ever want to stop a woman from making a choice about her body? Also, you do realize that many LGBT people who are married have kids, and how overturning this will affect them? Do you not care??

Old 10-05-2018, 06:44 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,493,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
OK I'm going to go male sexist.

Damn, have you seen the photos of the Kavanaugh supporters verses the Kavanaugh protesters?

No wonder those women are so damned pizzed off and loud.
It's the only way someone will pay them any attention.
The supporters are articulate, dressed nicely and reserved.
There is no ugly woman, only a lazy one (per Helena Rubenstein, I believe)

That said - two extremes - Stepford wives wanting to please men vs. feminist ideologues who are indifferent to male opinion.

I am neither a Stepford wife nor a feminist - but I do think intelligent thought matters - and appearance. Which is probably where most women are.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 PM

8,447 posts, read 4,755,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Lol. Try to get angry at a job interview. Report back.
If someone ever accuses me of sexual assault during a job interview I'm going to get a lot more than merely angry.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:45 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Roberts, more than ever, is being forced into a moderating position on the Court. Hopefully, he's been pondering long and hard through this spectacle. He is said to be very concerned that the Court not appear partisan.

Kavanaugh will decide lockstep w/Thomas, Alito, Gorsuch.

Sotomayer, Kagan, Ginsberg, Breyer will be on the opposite side.

Roberts in the middle - as he was on the ACA - which, even though I was in favor of ACA, I believed his reasoning to uphold very tortured.

Democrats last hope of any semblance of reasonableness lies with Roberts. Who would have thunk it?
Let's be frank, that won't last very long. Roberts has pondered retirement for a while. Ginsberg is 85, has cancer and regardless if she retires or continues on she is in the homestretch of her life. Breyer is in his 80's, although in good health he may just be tired of the BS. Sotomayer is not a healthy woman. She is only in her early 60's but is obese and has diabetes.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:46 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,200,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Most of the posters on here are older, right wing kooks - that "trumps" gender. The polls show a very different story. My worry, if you can call it that, is that these outraged women will not vote this fall. It seems it is easier for many to put on a "cat" hat and carry a sign than it is to show at the polls or drop a ballot in the mail. But in the longer view, things truly are changing and not in a good way for the GOP if they continue to take positions that offend women, minorities and educated voters. Those numbers grow by the millions over time while the boomers die off. This is the GOPs own assessment and though there is a pause in the process, it does seem inexorable.
I agree with this. A number of women posting on here had a partisan induced need to portray women as untrustworthy liars to the point of posting ridiculous fake stats and defending absolutely every GOP word, no matter how stupid. Anyway, why do you think they won't vote this year? People get lazy. No one really believed an egotistical reality star with little class and a highly questionable degree of intelligence was going to be elected. I understand the reasoning behind it, if it were a decent non politician candidate, I would have voted that way as well, but whatever spell he cast on people doesn't work on me. The people I know who regret their vote for him are all independents and they will be voting against his party. The true Rs are dug in.

The marches started after the election, it seems unlikely they would miss the opportunity to vote against his party. They will probably have parties and such. I don't have any more real faith in Dems than Repubs but at least there would be some balance of power and Dems are forced to care about "the little people" issues in order to keep votes. Hopefully, that will prevent too much damage from being done. Those we are paying a small fortune (salary+all their benefits) to represent us don't do anything but support monied interests, blind partisanship helps enable this.

I live in a blue state but purple county and see a lot of angry women who are defienitly going to vote. Trump's mocking did not help the Rs with women who are not comepletly partisan blind. Don't even tell me he wasn't mocking, just "repeating what she said." WTF do you people think mocking is? Partisan insanity has reached new levels of absurd. It's one thing to fairly question such old allegations and the Dems manipulative timing. It's another to try to constantly portray men as the victims of manipulative, lying women. All this worry for their sons. What about their daughters, otherwise known as those lying ******* looking to take every successful man down, or it would seem by their terror for their sons.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:47 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
A “stand-up federal judge”? This is completely laughable! How do you even know if he has problems with alcohol or has mental health issues?
Are you calling the FBI incompetent?

Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 PM

3,614 posts, read 1,737,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I regularly watch Senate Hearings - I've heard Senator Collins many times.
Sometimes I agree, sometimes I disagree .... BUT .....

I'm always aware that a "conservative" (ie Republican, which I'm not) in one State really has little relationship with a "conservative" in another State ..... AND that all of them are supposed to represent the People who elected them.

I find that many consider Senator Susan Collins a "RINO" .... Leftist love that she sometimes vote with them and praise her. She does what SHE considers best Represent the PEOPLE who elected her.

A Texan doesn't have to agree and neither does a West Coaster .... she is NOT their Senator.

She gave the MOST Impressive Speech I've seen on the US Senate Floor in many decades - maybe the most impressive ever. She certainly deserved her own thread ... she carefully laid out her case and gave her reasons for her Vote "case by case" with ALL of the concerns she had.

It's the very first speech about the Confirmation of a Supreme Court Judge that actually addressed the importance of a Senator's JOB to "Advise & Consent" and the importance of that job. She did her homework, she takes her job seriously.

I'm sure she is aware that the Rabid Leftists will come after her ..... but the Reality is they started attacking her months ago. They didn't scare her off - she just kept doing her Job.
Collin's speech was amazing! She brought up many of the same points that I have been making. She bit the nail right in the head. Schumer should be embarrassed about what he put this country through. All of his speeches were based on speculation, accusations with no proof, lies, and emotions.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,959,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
OK I'm going to go male sexist.

Damn, have you seen the photos of the Kavanaugh supporters verses the Kavanaugh protesters?

No wonder those women are so damned pizzed off and loud.
It's the only way someone will pay them any attention.
The supporters are articulate, dressed nicely and reserved.

Oh, no you DI-int!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-05-2018, 06:52 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,273,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
She's a no....no surprise. I just want to hear how she justifies it in her own mind.
Bet she changes that NO to a YES.

She took another path ..... so be it.
Nobody will forget that

I wonder who is looking out there window and seeing 2022 in their window?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies