Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 06:37 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
There are no rules but women certainly can be proactive to minimize their chances of becoming a victim.
Men can be proactive to minimize their chances of being a rapist.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:39 AM

301 posts, read 189,470 times
No.

People have a duty to not hurt, assault, or rape others.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:39 AM

21,109 posts, read 13,576,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
That is what I taught my daughters. Going to a frat party might seem like fun and most are. Just know the Frat throwing the party and always use the buddy system.

I taught my son the same thing.

Don't make yourself the target. Don't be the weak one because you are alone. Use some common sense. You wouldn't accept candy from a complete stranger, why would you accept a drink?

It's a tough world we live in. Dreaming of a Utopian society doesn't and won't change the fact that there are predators among us.
Do you tell your son to use the buddy system to keep each other from raping women? Obviously men are NOT taught these things.

Old 10-05-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you tell your son to use the buddy system to keep each other from raping women? Obviously men are NOT taught these things.
For real.

Can you imagine? Boys and men going out in groups, going to the bathroom with a buddy, watching each other to make sure none of them slip a tab into someone's drink, checking in every 30 minutes if separated to make sure nobody is hurting anyone, making sure not to leave wherever you are until all buddies can be accounted for and an inventory of actions is taken?

Old 10-05-2018, 06:48 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
This discussion reminds of a discussion Milton Friedman had about the Ford Pinto(and how it would blow up when rear-ended).

"You know that your chances of being killed in a pinto are greater than your chances of being killed in a Mack truck. Everyone could, at a cost, reduce his risk of dying. You don't have to walk across the street."

@3:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltnBOrCB7I

A woman has a duty to protect herself from sexual assault in the same way she has a duty to protect herself, and her children, in every way that is reasonable.

If I'm walking around a ghetto wearing a gold watch and flashing my cash, and I get robbed. Wouldn't people say that I was asking for it?

That doesn't mean the robber isn't wrong for robbing me, but it does mean that I was behaving foolishly.

It would be nice to live in a world where I could wear my gold chains and gold watch anywhere I want and never be fearful of being robbed. And it would be nice if women could dress in skimpy outfits and drink as much alcohol as they want without being sexually-assaulted.

For that matter, it would be nice if people didn't get killed by drunk-drivers, tired drivers, drivers on their cell phones, drivers playing with the radio, or countless others(who kill tens of thousands of people a year). And we could go on and on and on and on about how the world isn't perfect, and how we wish it was. But that won't make it so.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 10-05-2018 at 07:08 AM..

Old 10-05-2018, 06:49 AM

19,845 posts, read 12,113,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunalvr View Post
No.

People have a duty to not hurt, assault, or rape others.
Sure, and they shouldn’t steal or murder yet it happens all the time. Intelligent people take measures to minimize the chances of them becoming victims.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:00 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
According to some, women shouldn't even wear clubwear...to a club.

What about swimwear to the beach? Interesting that a bikini is ok but a short dress is suspect, and giving off "signals".

I am glad when I was growing up mini skirts were considered cute, not rape-wear.
Surprising strippers, dancers, cocktail waitresses, cheerleaders and hooters employees aren't raped on a daily basis. Seems men can handle their urges seeing scantly dressed and naked women in these situations.
And of course men in other cultures where clothing isnt necessarily worn dont seem to be tempted by the nudity.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Sure, and they shouldn’t steal or murder yet it happens all the time. Intelligent people take measures to minimize the chances of them becoming victims.
Correct. Smart people behave smartly. That wasn't the question, though. Is it my duty to not get raped? No. It's my duty not to rape someone.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Kavanaugh might have already been shot to death with this plan.
You definitely would have been.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:25 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
She should have a concealed weapon and be trained to use it. Most creeps will keep johnny in the the trousers when looking down the muzzle of a handgun.

And if this assault happens during the course of a relationship, the woman really should be a better judge of character and do her due diligence before the fact. Trust no one. Some women I have known run a background check before they will even strike up anything past the casual acquaintance stage. In this day and age, that's pretty smart.
I have not gotten my carry permit even though I own a handgun, have taken classes and can shoot because for one if I carried it every where I went I'd misplace the darn thing or it would get stolen or I'd drop it just like my keys and wallet. And for women with small children its not wise to carry a gun in your purse. Not to mention women's clothing, especially evening wear, isn't exactly designed for a concealed weapon.

As for relationships your opinion/advise is pretty sad. Realistically people aren't very good judges of character in part because people are deceptive. Heck I dated for years and was married 5 to my ex before his true colors were reveled. But if I have to live in a world where I trust no one and must run a background check on every new acquaintance then I don't want to live there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies