Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2018, 07:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,663,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
I didn't agree either, but I read a Facebook post wherein a woman said she believed a woman had a duty to avoid excessive alcohol use and carry a gun to protect herself from rapists. And she has a grown daughter herself! Smh. Men should have enough self control to be able to resist violent impulses. I have a brilliant idea. Let's invent a robot sex doll brothel!
She has every right to defend herself with deadly force if needed.
Now the ability to defend herself, falls upon her. No one else.

When seconds count, someone that cares, may be minutes away.
My daughter has carried her .38 concealed, since she was 16

You people can raise victims. I sure didn't.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:30 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Do you tell your son to use the buddy system to keep each other from raping women? Obviously men are NOT taught these things.
No. I taught my son to respect women. If you respect them you don't tend to rape them. Believe it or not most men are not rapists and find the notion of rape about as inviting as sitting on a pointy fence post for pleasure.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:35 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,887,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Kavanaugh might have already been shot to death with this plan.
Based upon what?

Old 10-05-2018, 07:38 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,640,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
There seems to be a lot of controversy around this issue. Although there is little debate that women are not responsible for sexual assaults, do they have a duty to protect themselves? If so, how? Avoiding being alone? Not drinking to excess, avoiding skimpy clothing, what? Many individuals of both genders have expressed this opinion. And if she doesn't protect herself in whatever way is deemed necessary or fitting, is the perpetrator less at fault if an assault happens?

No, the perp is at TOTAL fault regardless. As a guy who was raised to be a gentleman by a Father who strongly believed that a real man should be one I have a serious problem with sexual assault. Guys who either force a woman or take advantage of a chemically induced state of vulnerability are disgusting hyenas who both need and deserve killing.

Hmmm. Does a woman have a duty to protect herself. Well, she shouldn't have to worry about it if this were a perfect world and ALL men were true gentlemen. But...its not a perfect world. And not all women , especially young women in the college party scene, do not take this into consideration. Is it a "duty" that they should? Mmmm perhaps to one way of thinking and it certainly is a good idea. But I still won't hold it against a woman if she is assaulted or taken advantage of. That is all on the offending male.Where he should be protecting by the standards of being a man he instead turns predator.

Real men have a duty to protect women who need protecting. Women should do all they can o protect themselves , yes. But men have a duty if women are vulnerable to see they remain safe. To many males have a slight negligence in their upbringing.

Old 10-05-2018, 07:45 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
The reality is that many many young people (all age people, actually) drink too much. That's not going to change anytime soon. What we should be doing, IMHO, instead of lecturing women about their drinking habits, is to teach kids to look out for each other. We should teach them that if they see a passed out girl on a couch at a party, or a guys egging on a drunk dude to do something stupid, that the best course of action as a decent human being is to get the inebriated home and safe. Call an Uber, a taxi, drive them. If you see a situation get out of hand, do something about it. If there's a designated driver, have them watch out for those incapacitated. There's often enough non-nefarious people about to prevent bad situations. It's when they don't speak up that things progress and take a nasty turn.

I wouldn't tell my college aged daughter it was okay to get smashed, I don't know why that would be necessary, firstly, and I don't know that my college aged daughter would ask me for permission if she's of age. But I would let her know that it's always okay to call for help or to get home. And I'd be a blazing hypocrite if I gave her any grief for doing it. And super naive to think she won't at some stage in her life. It happens to people even if they didn't intend it.

Regardless, you missed my point - which is that people are sexually assaulted far more frequently NOT indulging in "risky" behavior than when they do. You want women to be accountable. But for what exactly? Living life?

Assault by strangers is pretty rare. And they can be assaulted in the parking lot at the local Walmart going for milk in their fuzzy slippers.

Assault by known and trusted members of their community is not rare at all, and far more likely.
Excellent post.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:00 AM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
Thank you NVPlumber for emulating your fathers stance on behavior in the social world.

I'm the single parent of two fine young men. THey were raised with positive guidelines. ANd yes I even let them know that its okay to defend themselves from any gender. First restrain, then maintain.

Yes...adults have an innate ability to defend to survive.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:00 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Im not going to read every post.
Why do people lock their doors?
Why do people not leave the keys in their car?
Why do people not go to certain parts of big cities after dark?
Why do we avoid certain countries?

In a perfect world rape would never happen. Murder would never happen. Robbery would never happen.

Yes women should be proactive.. Be careful who you meet at nigh and who you invite to your house. Be very aware of your surroundings.

Men. Be very careful of the women you party with and how you conduct yourself. As we have seen with Kavanaugh, it isn't about proof, evidence or witnesses. It is about agenda.

Not only "be careful who you invite to your house", but be careful whose house you enter! Not only that, but keep firmly fixed in your mind WHY you were invited to go home with that person. Do you really think you were invited home to drink apple cider and play chess, Yahtzee or canasta?
"Come into my parlor, said the spider to the fly."
Don't be the fly!

The bottom line is; common sense and self defense is, first and foremost, the responsibility of the individual

Old 10-05-2018, 08:21 AM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
If I'm walking around a ghetto wearing a gold watch and flashing my cash, and I get robbed. Wouldn't people say that I was asking for it?

That doesn't mean the robber isn't wrong for robbing me, but it does mean that I was behaving foolishly.

It would be nice to live in a world where I could wear my gold chains and gold watch anywhere I want and never be fearful of being robbed. And it would be nice if women could dress in skimpy outfits and drink as much alcohol as they want without being sexually-assaulted.

For that matter, it would be nice if people didn't get killed by drunk-drivers, tired drivers, drivers on their cell phones, drivers playing with the radio, or countless others(who kill tens of thousands of people a year). And we could go on and on and on and on about how the world isn't perfect, and how we wish it was. But that won't make it so.
For women, everywhere is the ghetto. There are certainly different interpretations of what may constitute a gold chain. What is a "skimpy" outfit? Why is it ok to wear shorts but not a short dress? Can women ever wear a tank top? Where and when?

WHO makes these rules...And you can bet even if and when women follow every rule, they will come up with something else she did wrong. Attractive women can wear a sack and get chased around. I had one boss blame my hairstyle for distracting the men, because that is all he could come up with. (Hijab?!) So I know they will go to great and irrational lengths to blame women for male misbehavior.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:34 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,382,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
This discussion reminds of a discussion Milton Friedman had about the Ford Pinto(and how it would blow up when rear-ended).

"You know that your chances of being killed in a pinto are greater than your chances of being killed in a Mack truck. Everyone could, at a cost, reduce his risk of dying. You don't have to walk across the street."

@3:55

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jltnBOrCB7I

A woman has a duty to protect herself from sexual assault in the same way she has a duty to protect herself, and her children, in every way that is reasonable.

If I'm walking around a ghetto wearing a gold watch and flashing my cash, and I get robbed. Wouldn't people say that I was asking for it?

That doesn't mean the robber isn't wrong for robbing me, but it does mean that I was behaving foolishly.

It would be nice to live in a world where I could wear my gold chains and gold watch anywhere I want and never be fearful of being robbed. And it would be nice if women could dress in skimpy outfits and drink as much alcohol as they want without being sexually-assaulted.

For that matter, it would be nice if people didn't get killed by drunk-drivers, tired drivers, drivers on their cell phones, drivers playing with the radio, or countless others(who kill tens of thousands of people a year). And we could go on and on and on and on about how the world isn't perfect, and how we wish it was. But that won't make it so.
You're a bit off with Uncle Milton and the Pinto example.

Walking across the street is an exercise in free will. Buying a car is an exercise in free well that involves a consensual agreement with another party. If I want to buy a car that explodes 99% of the time for $1 as opposed to a car that never blows up for a penny more that's my right. I have free will. And as long as that info is divulged to me (otherwise that would be fraud...a violation of the NAP) it is perfectly logical and moral.

When you are the victim of any kind of violence your natural rights have been violated though.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:36 AM

36,544 posts, read 30,891,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
She has every right to defend herself with deadly force if needed.
Now the ability to defend herself, falls upon her. No one else.

When seconds count, someone that cares, may be minutes away.
My daughter has carried her .38 concealed, since she was 16

You people can raise victims. I sure didn't.
Whats the penalty if she was caught with a concealed firearm at age 16?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies