Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2018, 02:06 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,381,268 times

Advertisements

The last place I want to see armed guards is at the door of my church, and, realistically, my congregation doesn't have money lying around to pay for it anyway, as I suspect is the case for most churches. We are there to worship God and to serve others, and that's where we choose to put our time, talent, and treasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 02:07 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,304,236 times
Ifs and buts, that's all they know. After the fact, "if they had this or that."

Last I checked people hated the idea of big brother or having guards and surveillance all over due to privacy. Now suddenly "armed guards at every church".

Old 10-28-2018, 02:10 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The last place I want to see armed guards is at the door of my church
Would you rather see an armed, demented murderer walking in freely, who wants to kill you and yours because of your religion?

That's the choice the people in the Pittsburgh synagogue faced. If they were in your shoes now (and still alive), do you think they might disagree with you at this point?

As I asked in the OP, does anybody have a better idea? One that works as well as this one (armed guards) did in Los Angeles in 1999?

Old 10-28-2018, 02:17 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
The last place I want to see armed guards is at the door of my church, and, realistically, my congregation doesn't have money lying around to pay for it anyway, as I suspect is the case for most churches. We are there to worship God and to serve others, and that's where we choose to put our time, talent, and treasure.
I'm my own armed guard.

Contrary to myth, you can do both

Old 10-28-2018, 02:27 PM

18,502 posts, read 9,172,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Would you rather see an armed, demented murderer walking in freely, who wants to kill you and yours because of your religion?

That's the choice the people in the Pittsburgh synagogue faced. If they were in your shoes now (and still alive), do you think they might disagree with you at this point?

As I asked in the OP, does anybody have a better idea? One that works as well as this one (armed guards) did in Los Angeles in 1999?
America is becoming more like Latin America, with private security forces being the only protection from random armed thugs.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:34 PM

45,237 posts, read 26,470,793 times
Private security is best.
Govt Cops are there to arrest, fine, kidnap, beat, shoot,etc. anyone who might break the governments rules. This should not be confused with protection or safety

Old 10-28-2018, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Private security is best.
Govt Cops are there to arrest, fine, kidnap, beat, shoot,etc. anyone who might break the governments rules. This should not be confused with protection or safety
Warren v D.C.
Police do not have a duty to protect.
Hence why the Broward Coward isn't behind bars for dereliction of duty.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
America is becoming more like Latin America, with private security forces being the only protection from random armed thugs.
Be your own. It's not against the law. There's no shame in it either.

Old 10-28-2018, 02:48 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,657,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
President Trump remarked recently that when another Jew-hating slimeball killed 11 in a synagogue in Pittsburgh, there would likely have been fewer (or no) casualties if the synagogue had had armed guards.

Recent history from 1999 bears out what he said, despite screeches from the usual leftists. A demented man drove to one Jewish institution after another, looking for Jews to murder. At the first three, he found the places had armed guards, so he didn't stop, but drove away without harming anyone. Then he finally came to one that did not have armed guards. He stopped, got out, walked in, and shot five people.

How many of those people in Pittsburgh would be alive today if there had been guards?

Yes, it's sad that we seem to need armed guards in some places to safeguard our families, friends etc.

Does anybody have a better idea? One that works as well as this one did in Los Angeles in 1999?
We should have armed teachers in schools and armed workers in businesses, more armed guards in vulnerable locations, better mental health screenings, better mental health programs, and gun laws that stop dangerous people from purchasing guns.

But Donald Trump has done nothing to place armed teachers and workers in vulnerable locations.

Trump's budget cuts 36% of school safety programs that provide mental health services and extra security in schools.
https://whyy.org/articles/pa-educato...security-cuts/

Trumps budget "slashes spending for the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration by $665 million. Additionally, the National Institute of Mental Health would see a 30 percent reduction in funding — a half a billion dollar decrease — in 2019."
https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...ld-cut-program

And Trump abolished laws and made it easier for people with mental illnesses to buy guns.
Donald Trump Revoked Obama-Era Gun Checks For Mentally Ill Law | Fortune

You speak of leftists not doing anything about deadly shootings, but what have republicans done to stop it?

Trump and republicans have had control of Washington for 2 years, and yet nothing was done to arm teachers and workers, and nothing was done to place armed guards in high risk places. Republicans also cut school safety programs, cut mental health services, and made it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns.

But while Trump and republicans have done nothing to stop deadly shootings, they passed lots of corporate tax cuts and corporate deregulation. And the republicans plan for deadly shootings is simple, do nothing about deadly shootings while passing corporate tax cuts and corporate deregulation (and then blame the left each time a shooting happens.)

Note: Donald Trump has already transferred the funding for the above school safety programs and mental health services to the richest 1% of Americans via the Trump tax cuts.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/janetno...nalysis-finds/
Trump and GOP Tax Cut Could Cost Your Kids $2.2 Trillion | Time

Old 10-28-2018, 02:58 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The example was from 1999.

The cab ride was after the shooting, when he fled.

The point of the OP is that the shooter rejected targets where he would face armed opposition.
I don't see any other source to confirm that he rejected the other sites because of armed guards other than Wikipedia.

I don't see any support for armed guards at churches or synagogues or any place of worship and this story even if true doesn't make the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies