Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 06:56 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,657,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post

And here's another one: Is the cost of armed guard(s) not worth the safety of the people being guarded? When it is so clearly demonstrated to work, while so-called "gun control" measures don't?
Democrats tried to pass a law to stop suspected terrorists from buying guns, but republicans stopped the law from passing.
Senate votes down proposal to bar gun sales to terrorism suspects - Los Angeles Times

What evidence do you have that stopping suspected terrorists from buying guns would not stop some mass murders?

Democrats tried to pass laws to stop certain mentally ill people from buying guns, but republicans stopped the law from passing.
House GOP Blocks Measure to Keep Guns from Mentally Ill

What evidence do you have that stopping certain mentally ill people from buying guns would not stop some mass murders?

And democrats have tried to ban assault weapons and high capacity magazines. What evidence do you have that banning assault weapons and high capacity magazines would not lower the number of people killed in mass murders?

You claimed liberal gun control measures don't work in reducing mass murders. But can you explain how the above (3) liberal gun control measures would not work in reducing the number of people killed in mass murders.

Last edited by chad3; 10-28-2018 at 07:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 07:18 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,502,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad3 View Post
Donald Trump has had a republican congress for 2 years. What laws have Trump and the republican congress tried to pass to stop mass murders?

Or have Trump and the republican congress done absolutely nothing to stop mass murders?
I've told you before. None. I stated why.
3 factions exist.
Rinos.
Neo cons.
Conservative.
Republicans aren't Lockstep. See John McCain torpedoing the repeal of ACA.-Rino.

In house purse swinging.

Quote:
Its also republicans that speak of the government stopping mass murders.
Not me. Government in general does a great job at raising costs and running ineptly.
I advocate for national reciprocity for concealed carry.
I advocate for national stand your ground.
I advocate for us, we the people, democrat republican, man woman black white brown Jew Christian Hindu etc to take matters in our hands as individuals not collective, to ensure our safety and well being. That is our responsibility.
I don't know about you, I don't care much for .gov arbitrarily telling/mandating/regulating anything in vain of my safety and well being. I don't need ABS Traction control stability control 30mpg nor 87 air bags. I dictate what I need to be safe. Not .gov hence why I've programed that nanny state crap out of my vehicles.

Quote:
In the past Trump and his supporters have politically said mental illness is the reason for mass murders.
Yes. And the very liberal democrats absolutely would not want what we would impose to handle it. They have asked what will the NRA do about it, answer They're the National rifle association not the national mental health association.

Quote:
And today Trump and his supporters are politically saying we need armed guards in high risk locations. Republicans also use government positions and political platforms to talk about mass murders and how to stop them.
Whoever said the guards would be .gov employees? Or funded with tax dollars?
You're missing the point-individually you have the right and bear the responsibility for your safety and well being. What law, current or in your mind will prevent or stop it? Without affecting you or me?
Murder is illegal.
Armed offenses be it robbery rape home invasion car jacking kidnapping is illegal.

Quote:
I'm a democrat
Not a liberal one. You're good in my book. You seem like a JFK blue dog Dem somewhat.
Quote:
and personally I would like armed teachers in all of our schools, and I would like all businesses to have armed workers (all schools and businesses having a gun safe with firearms to use in mass murder events, along with certain teachers/workers trained in gun usage and safety.)
Then here's what you do. Write Schumer write Feinstein write Biden and everyone who signed the gun free school act that's still law, and tell them their ineptitude good feel law has not worked and that it is time to face the fact that not having an armed deterrence and school faculty's right to keep and bear arms is a contributing factor to the lethality of school shootings. 0 line of defense. 0 deterrence present. Plenty of incentive for the heinous to continue seeking these schools and other gun free zones out.

Quote:
The problem I see is why the left and right can't come together to limit the number of mass shootings in America, while protecting the rights for all mentally stable Americans to own a gun.
Because the provisions and "compromises" your congress critters and senators want aren't compromises quid pro quo. They're incremental subversion and erosion and down right turning the right into a privilege.

Quote:
Here and now most
Yeah, occupy democrat, and democratic underground say that's a lie.
Maybe a handful. Certainly Not most. That's like me saying most Republicans support illegal immigration or support abortion, legal marijuana or gay marraige. Some, maybe even a handful in the scheme of things, certainly not most.

Quote:
democrats believe in all Americans right to own a gun, but republicans are not using today's liberal's positive attitude of the Second Amendment to fix America's gun culture (instead we are having a political fight while more and more Americans are developing a political attitude like Europeans where all guns are banned.)
Because the focus your camp has is on the firearm. Not the individual. The overwhelming majority here and in real world USA outside of this forum conflate and falsely equate gun owner with mass murdering scumbag in wait. That's their irrelevant emotional rhetoric.

Quote:
And personally I see republicans causing America to turn into a anti-gun country like Europe. The first rule of responsible gun ownership is gun safety, like keeping guns away from children, keeping guns in a location hard for criminals to get to, and not selling/trading guns to mentally ill people. But republicans oppose regulations to stop children from being killed by guns, and republicans even oppose regulations to stop terrorists from buying guns.
Senate votes down proposal to bar gun sales to terrorism suspects - Los Angeles Times
Because democrats want a registry and that trademarked universal background check. Resounding no. They want to play fast and loose with common sense, and make subjective preresequites for owning a firearm, turning the right into a privilege.
Like FOID cards. Chief law enforcement approval for concealed carry and storage. (See MA and NY for examples of the idiocy to own a firearm and the sneaky Hughes amendment)
Far as children are concerned, very rarely are children picking up/finding and injuring or killing themselves or another with one. CDC data shows this. A swimming pool, pond, lake, river, even a car is more of a threat to a child's safety than a firearm is. To go by that very low number to say it's an epidemic or plague or threat to society. I'm not saying for one second-we need hordes of kids offing each other and themselves with firearms in irresponsible households. Not for one second. I'm stating that truth, has been embellished. Again. Trade mark stance-Muh Childrunz!
They're not dying in massive numbers, nor are firearms even in the top 20 killer of children in this nation. It's been inflated to seem that way. Download the PDF from the CDC to verify this. You'll find a significant flaw in the reporting though with the age groupings. Less than 1 year old. 1-4, 5-14, 15-24.
When it should be 5-17 18-24.

Had to go find it and re-upload it.

Food for thought. Since age 13 I have had access without adult supervision while handling and shooting firearms. Shotguns and rifles. Since Age 13 I have never been injured unless you consider garand thumb an injury. Just leave a note where I'd be or call when I had a cell phone. So long as home work was done first.
My rifles and shotguns and my father's rifles and shotguns were in a glass and wood cabinet. Not a safe. His pistols though, were in the safe.
I grew up shooting firearms since I was 4/5 years old. I'm still alive and posting obviously. I am not the only example of a "child" in possession and handling and firing firearms. I'm not some anecdotal 1 in 100 million case. I'm a millennial too.
In many areas in this nation, you will see what you call "gun culture" is the way of life for many. Guns weren't seen as toys. Guns weren't seen as the way to handle a bully or solve a problem. Cities and suburbs I can't explain the difference from rural areas. Other than parents creating the allure/forbidden fruit approach. Us rural kids didn't have shoot outs, and AR15s? We're out in fields or out in forests with 12 gauges, 30-06s, 308s, 8mm mausers, 303 enfields truly powerful rifles... hell I was buying back in the day from Cheaper Than Dirt AK kits when they were Cheaper, Than, Dirt, and making the receivers in metal shop and completing them at home in my father's shop. I had the not so "assault rifle" that shoots the same cartridge as the AR15-mini14. I didn't get my first ARs until I was 18 years old.

Quote:
Today in America only about 30% of Americans personally own a gun, and gun ownership rates have been falling for decades.
If you believe only 30 percent own guns I have a bridge to sell you cheap in Brooklyn. That's only 30% willing to admit they own firearms.

Quote:
In the future how will the 70%+ of Americans who don't own guns feel about highly irresponsible republican gun owners? (That 70%+ is going to want to take their guns.)
That isn't republicans fault entirely. That's the pundits reporting using inflammatory buzzwords like Assault weapon/rifle. Strange more die in car accidents than by firearm accidents and firearm homicides combined... yet... no inflammatory reporting on assault vehicles with high capacity fuel tanks...

Quote:
But do gun owners who follow no safety rules to stop children from being killed by guns, who sell guns to the mentally ill, and who allow terrorists to buy guns, do these gun owners even deserve to own guns in the first place?
You'd find very few irresponsible individuals that own firearms. They're banned from ranges and arrested for negligent discharges and negligent acts.
You can't really get away with an act of negligence in today's day and age unless you live way out in the sticks/mountains with no neighbors.

Allowing terrorists to buy firearms? Like the pulse scumbag? He was reported to the FBI. They didn't do anything to revoke his right to purchase. My local gun store is who reported him. That's a bureacracy issue. Again, more laws more regulations would have done what?
1. It is illegal for anyone employee to owner, to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol in Florida
2. It is illegal to murder.
3. He was reported to the FBI weeks in advance.
That's a bureacracy issue.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
You have forgotten about Pulse already? Armed cop who in fact engaged the shooter to be driven to cover by the firepower of an AR15 type weapon...

So you want not just an armed guard but a standby SWAT level guard? For a weekly church service?

How about having the Feds supply them...Only a 100 billion or so and we save a few lives. After all it is the Fed Constitution that allows these shooters to be armed with semi auto weapons capable of overcoming a single well trained guard.
I'll take.
Allow national concealed carry reciprocity and stand your ground for 200 Alex.

Why must it always be .gov to save the day and be the end all be all?
I'm my own armed guard. You can be yours too, and it's not against the law. Unless of course you live in CA NY MA CT etc etc where you absolutely have a duty to retreat from a credible threat against your well being...

Old 10-28-2018, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Shoot the guard first, and then the others. Banks have armed guards, and yet get robbed all the time.
Makes for a compelling argument for concealed carry.

Scumbag shoots the guard, they lost their element of surprise.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:45 PM

628 posts, read 663,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
  1. What does alleged Jewish control of the media have to do with the massacre?
  2. Does alleged Jewish control of the media provide a sound reason for the massacre?
  3. What did the massacre victims and first responders have to do with the media?
  4. Why did the massacre victims and first responders deserve to die?
You infered an awfully lot from my two sentences. I stayed a motive for the killer that is all. I provided zero argument as to whether these specific people were at fault.

Now, you will see more of this. Again, just another cold fact. The internet allows a free flow of information far removed from the bias of the msm and the censorship of boards like this. Statistics on Jewish control in various sectors of our politics and culture is inevitably going to fuel more attacks like this. Do you think one day a bunch of nazis randomly decided they hated Jews? No, they saw patterns develop over the course of many years. When these patterns reached there breaking point Germans snapped.

Again it’s not my place to pick sides here. I’m just pointing out what anyone with two eyes who is being intellectually honest can see. Patterns are developing in ways they did before.

Last edited by montydean; 10-28-2018 at 07:46 PM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 10-28-2018, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
Good guys w/guns versus Bad guys w/guns has run it's course.. WHY should anyone be required to carry a GUN?????? shopping/ going to church/going to school or travelling on a bus/train/airplane creating in restaurant etc etc????
It's not required. Encouraged, yes. Mandatory? No, It's voluntary.
Why? Seconds matter help is minutes away.
Warren V D.C. Police do not have a duty to protect.

Quote:
NTA!! WAKE UP.. THAT cr@p isn't selling and there's no longer that many decades message of Government coming for you GUNS viable!! It's a mothballed idiom that bee spread for half+Century!! Only"Gun Hugger's"buy into that in past few decades!!
Oh really? Cuomo declared me a felon. Hence part of why I no longer live in NY.
MA CA CT have some draconian laws too.
Florida rinos passed laws to make Obama blush. 18-20 year olds banned to purchase. Might as well go down the list and ban their other civil liberties like voting right to an attorney be subject to cruel an unusual punishment until age 21, because that's when you're a person now in Florida.

Quote:
Sorry. NRA promoting gun take aways is'nt any longer working.. Historical carnage and mass killing fields prove it// and it's repeated constantly!
Hyperbole is hyperbole. NRA fudds are promoting gun legislation.

Quote:
NRA deep pockets (lately funded by Russian's ) to GOP lawmakers has been exposed~~ the bought and paid for Lawmakers for what they do! Prior to Russia..American deep pockets fed NRA~~ It'sNow an"Internal Effort"!!
American pockets still do.

Quote:
No free American should be required toCarry any weapons!! Ever..
I counter no free American should be barred from owning a newly manufactured machine guns, but NJ democrat bill Hughes disagreed.
I also would argue no free American should be forced to accept .govs health insurance company enrichening scheme ACA either, nor be fined/taxed for opting out either. But Romney and Obama disagreed.

Quote:
Every American should feel safe in their home/Church/School/ environment.. No one should feel a threat to walk in their street!!
Some acknowledge they don't have a choice whether they're to become a victim or not. Some acknowledge they have a Constitutionally protected right to keep and bear arms. And do. For they know when seconds matter, no fault of the police officers, for they're on patrols, contending with traffic congestion etc, when seconds matter help is minutes away.
Some would rather defend themselves rather than rely on an adult in the room approach of waiting hoping and praying the good guys in uniforms with badges and guns show up to stop the bad guy.

Quote:
It has reached highest BAR for "Unacceptability" and IF voter's don't vote for representative to pullback such unacceptable leadership//It'son them despite the concerted efforts to curtail"Voter's Rights"!!
I'll disagree and play Devils advocate.
What's unacceptable is the notion that gun control is the only way to address the problem. Being ignorant to Incentive Motive and Intent are. As well as enabling outliers.
Such example would be Promise Program initiated by School Superintendent Runcie and Sheriff Isreal. That was a liberal good feels initiative to end the so called "school to prison pipeline" which protected violent offenders and the deranged.

“We’re not going to continue to arrest our kids,” he added. “Once you have an arrest record, it becomes difficult to get scholarships, get a job, or go into the military."

Know what else is difficult to get with an arrest record?
Firearms
But no. Protect the high school aged miscreants from catching a Baker Act or domestic violence or felony charges that would have barred them from purchasing firearms. 33 times in the year before that scumbag shot that school up, police had interacted with him, once for throwing his mother into a wall. That's a domestic violence charge. He easily could have been Baker acted too.

That's an enabling outlier.

Remove incentive. Allow people their right to keep and bear arms, do not condemn lawful self defense, defense of one's community, family/loved ones.
Motive will cease once it starts making headlines "Attempted shooter"/"would be shooter shot dead while trying to..."
Intent will go when the incentive and Motive are addressed, it won't be tolerated by we the people any more that homicidal scumbags get to instill fear and chaos with senseless heinous acts.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:56 PM

57,322 posts, read 26,245,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
I'll take.
Allow national concealed carry reciprocity and stand your ground for 200 Alex.

Why must it always be .gov to save the day and be the end all be all?
I'm my own armed guard. You can be yours too, and it's not against the law. Unless of course you live in CA NY MA CT etc etc where you absolutely have a duty to retreat from a credible threat against your well being...
We don’t need some self appointed Rambo saving the day, I will stick with LE.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:56 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
My Baptist church here in South Carolina hired an armed guard -- an off duty deputy, actually -- shortly after Sandy Springs. He's there on Sunday morning for all three services. It's a big church with multiple points of entry even for the worship center. The guard walks the entire church. Upstairs, downstairs. He's near the worship center but I don't believe he goes in. If a bad guy came with the fire power on the whack job in Pittsburg, even if he didn't know about the armed guard, he could get in and do a lot of damage before the guard can even get to where he is.

I'm not saying don't hire security if your church (no matter the denomination) thinks it's wise. But don't just sit back and think the guard is always going to be able to stop a bad guy. My guess is that a guard probably won't stop many bad guys from killing in the first place.

Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I'm not saying don't hire security if your church (no matter the denomination) thinks it's wise. But don't just sit back and think the guard is always going to be able to stop a bad guy. My guess is that a guard probably won't stop many bad guys from killing in the first place.
Especially if you only hire one, for an area that obviously needs more.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:04 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,533,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Especially if you only hire one, for an area that obviously needs more.
So how many do you think a church should hire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies