Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2018, 08:10 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
My Baptist church here in South Carolina hired an armed guard -- an off duty deputy, actually -- shortly after Sandy Springs.
Was it the Holey Spirit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2018, 08:11 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,620,616 times
Quote:
So how many do you think a church should hire?
How would I know? You're the one who announced that one guard couldn't stop bad guys at your church. Did they consult their local police, who would have some expertise on such matters? What did the police say? How many should they have?

Old 10-28-2018, 08:12 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,826,985 times
Dumb people think that getting new laws imposed which further restrict everyone else's freedom (and "saving" them from the responsibility that comes with freedom) will somehow make them safer.

It won't.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:14 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
It depends on the size of the church. If it's a big one (at least 1000 members), then maybe at least 2 or 3.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:18 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,769,355 times
Well, it's both a lot of loonies and a lot of loose guns on the streets.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:23 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
This is insane. We need security everywhere. Schools, movie theatres, churches, grocery stores, malls etc. It's time for action to stop these domestic terrorists.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:55 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,832,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
This is insane. We need security everywhere. Schools, movie theatres, churches, grocery stores, malls etc. It's time for action to stop these domestic terrorists.
Oh, wow, yes, of course, we need to stop these things.

By all means, please provide us how to do so.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:56 PM

37,119 posts, read 41,299,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I see where he visited one location where he claimed the security was too tight, he also visited the Simon Wiesenthal Center but no details. The OP stated that he visited 3 locations that had armed guards then decided on the one he attacked because it did not have an armed guard, that is not indicated in any of those articles.

Its ridiculous to think that armed guards in every place of worship is a solution.
Apparently the information about visiting other places came from Furrow.

It seems that the level of security in some places discouraged Furrow from attacking them. Make of it what you will.

Old 10-28-2018, 08:58 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I posted this as new topic (related to one of Pittsburgh threads, Jew-hater goes to 3 Jewish centers, finds armed guards, he leaves. Finally finds 1 without guards, shoots 5 people) to focus discussion on what I see as real causes of Pittsburgh, Parkland, Sandy Hook, Charleston and most similar mass slayings.

We are treated to lectures about gun control and about racism. I just returned from a stomach-turning "vigil" at a local synagogue, replete with speeches of clergy and elected officials. The biggest applause lines were when gun control was mentioned. People were urged to vote "in a way that encouraged" gun control. And also discussed was the need to "turn down the rhetoric" from "the President on down."

Personal responsibility of rational people was ignored.. Genesis 4:9 provides the Biblical link: "G-d said to Cain, "Where is your brother Abel?" And he said "I do not know. Am I my brother's keeper?" Group settings such as high schools and colleges are a unique setting to put that Biblical injunction to work. Typically, students know each other over a period of time, often stretching from near-infancy but usually at least a few years. While we don't yet know who Bowers knew, either currently or in his past, someone must have known of his explosive potential.
I found his social media the moment his name was released.

I tried to grab as much as I can. Most of what I did grab I can't put up here due to its graphic nature it would need to be heavily redacted.
I want to make these points clear as day.
1. He wasn't solely anti semitic. He was Furious with Trump's meeting with Kanye West and other black people. He was an all around bigot. He hated everyone that wasn't white.
2. I found his voter information on PA department of state website, he is registered not affiliated. He's not a republican.
3. He was a never Trumper. He despised Trump he would make this forums liberals seem relatively sane in their rantings and ravings, not just policy wise character assassination wise, Trump's family, and Trump supporters.

Why wasn't he picked up beforehand? Well. I highly doubt this scumbag was a sociable being. Probably a basement dwelling loner with 0 friends.
So I'm sure he's had only social media as his only source of interaction with humans.

That said, once found guilty hang him out behind the courthouse for all to see. No 3 hots and a cot and daytime tv on the tax payers dime. Does that mean we should start looking to regulating social media? Require background checks? Reporting what seems suspicious?

I don't know.
I believe these types of individuals need to definitely be identified long before they commit an attrocity. Would be quite difficult to prove ones intent via key board exchange. How do you differentiate between a loner scumbag and someone being edgy/crude? That's a legitimate question. How do you prove intent and Motive just by typed words? This guy though would have been easy with his calls for violence and his ranting and raving.

Gun control. It's not the guns that need controlling. The moment guns get up and load themselves and do the shooting is the day you have my support in gun control.
.gov funded and supplied armed guards? No.

We need to stop living in fear and reaching out for .gov to be the end all be all. Two reasons.
1. This is what these heinous scumbags crave and desire, the infamy. Knowing they struck fear into you.
2. Ask for more government, get more government you won't like the results.
There was a thread here in the POC a while ago where schools in South Florida were asking for parents to disclose their children's mental health information.
Many people parents at that vehemently opposed it. Well. You wanted more government to solve a problem and that's how they're solving it, by asking for you to disclose any pertinent information to help identify a potential threat.

Believing that only congress and laws will prevent stop or deter is naive.
We used to be Land of the Free, Home of the Brave.
We need to return to that. We should be the ones that put an end to it.
Contrary to the court of public opinions popular conflation, myth, and hyperbole, gun owners do not endorse nor condone these incidents. We want to stop it. We have far different approaches though. We think, if more people were to take matters into their own hands instead of being reliant on police or government, and exercised their right to keep and bear arms as much as they exercise their right to protest and free speech, the ultimate 0 tolerance policy being, defending yourself, your family/loved ones, your communities.

Nobody has a say on whether they will be a victim or not, only aggressors do. That's a simple fact. Has anyone here ever woke up and said today is the day I get mugged, raped, murdered, involved in a car accident? No of course not.

I have multiple ideas on how to prevent deter and stop it, and it doesn't involve legislating and regulating a right into a privilege.
Focus on
Incentive
Motive
Intent
And if applicable Enabling Outliers.

It's been proven, how many times, gun free zones do not work.
Allow people to get their concealed carry permits and encourage self defense. There is nothing wrong with defending yourself, your family/loved ones, property, and community. Nothing at all wrong with that.
This will remove the incentive that a gun free zone provides.
Motive. The media doesn't realize this. When they publish the tactics and weapons used, followed by a 3d animation of the route the attacker took etc, it serves as a study guide if you will for others to compare and contrast to see how they can improve where others failed to be more lethal. In a sick competition if you will.
The media needs to start referring to these scumbags as just that. Scumbags. No notoriety no infamy.
Also, with the population stating 0 tolerance for senseless acts of violence, reinforced up to and including lethal force, it will demoralize and remove the motive and intent.
Intent. You won't find many willing to cause harm, death, and chaos upon society when they're being reported as "Attempted shooter"/"Would be shooter confronted and shot dead."
The moment that happens I promise, it will be the heinous, deranged, murderous scumbags that will be calling for gun control. It will be them not having trust in fellow Americans.

Schools, Houses of Worship, places of employment, public gatherings etc. No more gun free zone. Allow people their right and allow self defense and the defense of others.
What stops someone like me from thwarting a school shooter? The fact it's federal law that you can not be within 1,000 feet of a school with a firearm. I'd gladly stand at an entrance to a school and take the day off to do it and know at least 200 others that would, never mind the people they know that would be on board with it as well.
Unless we had a badge and uniform.

Current law prevents that.

I carry every day. I never leave home unarmed, not out of fear, I acknowledge the world isn't rainbows unicorns and puppy dogs. I don't have a crystal ball to see the future. It's like my highschool days, I carried condoms in my car/truck and pocket. Best to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Wasn't worth the risk of getting an std or breeding a mouth I couldn't feed as a teenager.

Well. Same applies here.
I don't leave the house anticipating a gun fight, I don't have a blood lust or desire to do harm amongst anyone. But I'll be damned if I find myself in a situation where I'm defenseless. I can't throw a punch at 1,000 ft per second from feet to yards away to stop an aggressor. I don't let fear consume me. I accept the risks and plan accordingly. There is no such thing as a bad neighborhood to me. No "off limits" "bad side of town" that doesn't mean I go looking for trouble either, not at all. I don't have it in me to provoke something with someone to escalate it to the point where it will be life and death. However I absolutely refuse to be a victim or reliant upon an adult in the room to come to my rescue. Seconds matter help, no fault of their own, is minutes away.

I'm not going to change my habits or lifestyle to appease a criminal. Example. Some say I'm nuts for having a flashy lifted truck for a work truck. I'm not sacrificing my comfort to prevent a tool from being stolen. Doesn't work that way. Do you tell others with the busy body mentality if they own a Mercedes a Cadillac or BMW to avoid town/city/area because they would be car jacked and they should drive a roached out rust bucket just to be safe? Of course not.
Why are we having to appease criminals and letting fear consume us again? It does make the point to remove incentive by not driving an appealing vehile to someone who'd be willing to risk stealing it with force.
Same goes for someone who wears jewelry or a pair of sneakers or boots.
Why are we allowing the dregs of society to control us via our emotions?

My solutions aren't seen as "main stream" and before anyone says this isn't the 50s and 60s any more grandpa, I'm a Millennial.
The condemnation of self defense started heavily for me and my generation mid way through highschool with the 0 tolerance policy being enacted.
Not my problem you other millennials or boomer former teachers bought that crap hook line and sinker. Peer mediation and good feels policies only enabled bullies and made you the victim, in as much if not more trouble for defending yourself. That's wrong. That needs to end. It isn't rainbows unicorns and puppy dogs. It isn't shoot outs at the O.K. Corral either. Nor am I calling for that. What I am calling for is everyone to grow a spine and don't be afraid to fight back or defend yourself.

Remember. It was a bipartisan effort to no longer keep the insane confined from society. That seed was sown and we are reaping it today unfortunately.

Also contrary to the collectivist court of popular opinion, the 2nd Amendment does not apply to only middle aged straight white guys. Get acquainted with it. You might find that you like it. Hell I've taken many people shooting. My sister when she was a nurse in a hospital brought women she worked with to come out to the range.
Most were of the attitude that guns are icky, guns are bad. Some grew up in households with firearms or had brothers/fathers/husbands/sons that own them.
Their ages ranged 19-38. All that were 21+ acquired their concealed carry permits afterwards.
I've met and shot with pulse nightclub survivors. And they were in possession of AR15s themselves.
It isn't just a middle aged straight white man's amendment.
I'm just reinforcing everyone exercise their right to keep and bear arms and defend themselves their families loved ones and communities, and stop demonizing and villanizing lawful self defense. Put as much faith in yourselves as you do police officers. And unlike a police officer per Warren V DC you can have a duty to protect.

Old 10-28-2018, 09:01 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
My Baptist church here in South Carolina hired an armed guard -- an off duty deputy, actually -- shortly after Sandy Springs. He's there on Sunday morning for all three services. It's a big church with multiple points of entry even for the worship center. The guard walks the entire church. Upstairs, downstairs. He's near the worship center but I don't believe he goes in. If a bad guy came with the fire power on the whack job in Pittsburg, even if he didn't know about the armed guard, he could get in and do a lot of damage before the guard can even get to where he is.

I'm not saying don't hire security if your church (no matter the denomination) thinks it's wise. But don't just sit back and think the guard is always going to be able to stop a bad guy. My guess is that a guard probably won't stop many bad guys from killing in the first place.
If I were the guard I'd just keep a short barreled and suppressed AR or AR pistol under a sport jacket. They conceal nicely under a sport coat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies