Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2018, 08:54 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I have no issue with eliminating birthright citizenship.

It does not matter what the original intention was. 150 years of recognizing birthright citizenship has been the practice in the US.
That is exactly right. it has been the practice in the U.S.

However,

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

the line "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" originally referred to people with full, political allegiance to the U.S. — green card holders and citizens.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:55 AM

5,129 posts, read 2,598,801 times
Good.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
It may not be. In fact, if it goes to the Supreme Court, they might just as easily find that an executive order is not even necessary. People have argued that by saying "All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside.", the constitution only grants citizenship to people born here that are “subject to the jurisdiction thereof”.

Illegal aliens dont fall under that category, or at least, the conservative Supreme Court may find that they dont fall under this category.

All we can do is hope.

Until 2 years ago, I worked in a hospital with a lot of birth tourism. I know of several OB/GYNs that advertise in foreign countries. Particularly the countries that they, themselves, are from. It’s amazing how many middle easterners and Asians come here to have an American baby and then fly back to their home countries to raise them. So we have All kinds of American citizens raised by non Americans in countries other than America. The only thing that surprises me, is that we have let this go on for so long.
Illegal aliens do fall under that category. We know this because we prosecute them for crimes and send them to jail. That means they are subject to our jurisdiction.

Person with diplomatic immunity are not subject to our jurisdiction. Illegal aliens are.

I believe that it will require a Constitutional amendment to change this. And executive order won't cut it.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:56 AM

182 posts, read 331,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

the line "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" originally referred to people with full, political allegiance to the U.S. — green card holders and citizens.
Where did you pull that from? Green cards did not exist in the 19th century.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:57 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, Thanks to the illegal immigrants coming here, this country is still number one. I guess I need to personally thank the illegals for global economic and cultural dominance. No thank you, I paid my taxes. I thank my grandparents and my parents ONLY, thank you very much.
You really believe that there weren't tons of "illegals" coming into the US in the first 150 years? K.
Even most "illegals" pay taxes. You don't get a cookie for that. Especially when the Douche in Chief does everything he can to avoid paying any. Your grandparents must be proud that you support a grifter because you're too much of a bigot to recognize blatant moral hypocrisy.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:58 AM

9,254 posts, read 3,589,174 times
Quote:
Actually,

"All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

Except you're just making up the second part of your claim. "Jurisdiction" has never meant "full political allegiance to the US" and I challenge you to find a single credible source to support that claim. And there was no such thing as a "green card" when the 14th Amendment was drafted.

"Jurisdiction" means "subject to the laws." Heck, the word itself derives from the Latin juris dictio, meaning "what the law says". It has nothing to do with political allegiance. Literally nothing.

Old 10-30-2018, 08:59 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
Where did you pull that from? Green cards did not exist in the 19th century.

well, then "subject to the jurisdiction thereof" originally referred to people with FULL, political allegiance to the U.S.

Illegals do not belong to that category.

2,362 posts, read 778,612 times
Trump knows this is unconstitutional, he's just getting his base riled up before midterms.

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
He's only doing it to boost turnout for next week's elections.

I actually support ending birthright citizenship, but I know that it cannot be done by EO since it is a part of the 14th amendment. The constitution would have to be amended to remove it, same as was done for prohibition back in the day.

But he knows his base isn't that bright so he's giving them something to rally their complaints behind about how he will be bullied/spoken ill of by the evil media in order to make himself a victim to the not too bright people.

Those of us bright enough and who actually do want to see the constitution amended on this issue, aren't that stupid.

He'll create an EO and there will be a lawsuit to stop it immediately. Would be better if he asked his GOP controlled Congress to create legislation to amend the constitution on this issue.
Trump said “ they say I can do it just with an EO”.

Trump does not say who is “ they” beyond he ran it by his counsel. Cohen?

I have no doubt this will land in the lap of the SCOTUS.

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Wonder if it will include the wealthy Russians giving birth at his properties?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/russia...to-us-citizens
The Daily Beast?

https://www.conservapedia.com/The_Daily_Beast

They are flocking to the USA especially Miami to condos and rentals, not necessarily all Trump properties.

The hate is alive and thriving in America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies