Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 06:48 PM

26,484 posts, read 15,063,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
These people know no bounds.

A little twink like Davidson leading the idiots in the audience in laughing at an ex- Navy Seal who served in Afghanistan and Iraq, and who lost an eye, is rich.

If you're a Republican running for office, nothing is off limits.

https://thehill.com/homenews/media/4...-eye-in-combat

McCain and Dole both got mocked by comedians for injuries received in Vietnam and WWII respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2018, 08:32 PM

21,464 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PassTheChocolate View Post
This is why we can't have nice things.

Pete cracks a joke about Crenshaw's eye patch.

Crenshaw claims he's not offended, then proceeds to make it about all vets, and aims to sucker as many as possible into being offended by a joke that was made solely about him.

It worked, because stupidity knows nothing of race, color, gender, age, religion or military service.

SNL and Davidson cave and apologize for exercising the very constitutional right those vets, including Crenshaw, fought for.

And liberals are cheering all over the internet about this because stupidity also knows nothing of political affiliation. JFC.
He only said it should be off limits to joke about veterans’ injuries. I would say that’s true. They were in the middle of an election, so of course he’s going to jump on the bandwagon of people’s outrage. If the joke happened after the election, I bet Crenshaw would have just ignored it. The joke wasn’t that bad.

What I want to know is why is Pete Davidson dying his hair silver? It is not a good look on him at all. I always thought he was oddly attractive even though he’s not very cute, but not with the silver. It makes his dark circles around his eyes stand out in a bad way.

Old 11-12-2018, 09:18 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,517,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
McCain and Dole both got mocked by comedians for injuries received in Vietnam and WWII respectively.
McCain got mocked by a "politician" for being an POW

SMH

Last edited by Joe the Photog; 11-12-2018 at 09:52 PM..

Old 11-12-2018, 09:53 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,285 times
Crenshaw's surprise visit on SNL was great. I don't watch the video show so I didnt catch some of the jokes.

Driving home from work today and heard Crenshaw on right wing radio. He didn't say anything negative about SNL, only positive. He also said the only offensive thing he said was the "or whatever " part which I agree.

I'm sure the repukes here wanted Crenshaw to dis SNL but he wasn't taking the bait.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:24 AM

3,366 posts, read 1,605,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Crenshaw's surprise visit on SNL was great. I don't watch the video show so I didnt catch some of the jokes.

Driving home from work today and heard Crenshaw on right wing radio. He didn't say anything negative about SNL, only positive. He also said the only offensive thing he said was the "or whatever " part which I agree.

I'm sure the repukes here wanted Crenshaw to dis SNL but he wasn't taking the bait.
You talk about positivity and the say " repukes", does anyone get irony any longer?

Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,297,174 times
Quote:

Crenshaw claims he's not offended, then proceeds to make it about all vets, and aims to sucker as many as possible into being offended by a joke that was made solely about him.

It worked, because stupidity knows nothing of race, color, gender, age, religion or military service.

SNL and Davidson cave and apologize for exercising the very constitutional right those vets, including Crenshaw, fought for.

And liberals are cheering all over the internet about this because stupidity also knows nothing of political affiliation. JFC.

Interesting perspective.

I am one who had mixed feelings on Davidson's original joke and now this apology. So, Davidson is a comic and he makes jokes. That's what he does. I've been watching Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee and the topic of offending the public with comic material has been discussed between Jerry Seinfeld and his guests quite a bit. Seinfeld and many other comics are probably rolling their eyes at this apology. Seinfeld said jokes aren't real life. They're jokes. Just like a fictional murder in a novel is not real life. It's a scene in a book.

His quote:
Quote:
No. Jokes are not real. People assume that when you say something that you believe it. It’s purely comedic invention. You know, I do this whole bit about Pop-Tarts and how much I love them. I don’t love Pop-Tarts. It’s just funny. It’s funny to say it, so I say it.
And I tend to agree with him. Even though I've been offended by a joke (I'm looking at you Chris Rock). Overall, we need to stop holding comics up as some moral bastion. That isn't their job.

Moving on, Dan Crenshaw. He's a veteran who fought in a war. Knowing what I know about military vets, how men and women in the armed services joke around, how making sick jokes is totally normal especially when you're out in the field...I find his offense to this joke odd. It just seems slightly hypocritical to me.

If Davidson felt compelled to apologize to Crenshaw, that's his business. But I think the bit hit a sour note precisely because it was a public apology. Like shaming a comic for daring to make a somewhat offensive joke. What does that say to other performers? I think it's a slippery slope that I don't like.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:02 AM

5,103 posts, read 2,048,928 times
Quote:

I wonder if they might still laugh today of that older SNL skit starring Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9TS1pRmajU

Old 11-13-2018, 07:55 AM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:

well, if the comedian says the following

Q. What’s the difference between ET and an illegal immigrant?
A. ET learned how to speak English and wanted to go home.

Q. How many cops does it take to push a black guy down a flight of stairs?
A. None….He fell.

Should somebody complain? Serious question.

We cannot have good things because some people like to take sides or have double standard. (not saying you do by the way) In my opinion, both men did wonderful job and this is the way it supposed to be.
But then again, if your "RULES" apply to everybody equally, and rules are: nobody should be offended by bad jokes comedians tell no matter how offensive they are, then sure, I certainly agree with you that the military man overreacted, he should just chill and enjoy the bad jokes.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-13-2018 at 08:05 AM..

Old 11-13-2018, 09:24 PM

21,464 posts, read 10,568,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
well, if the comedian says the following

Q. What’s the difference between ET and an illegal immigrant?
A. ET learned how to speak English and wanted to go home.

Q. How many cops does it take to push a black guy down a flight of stairs?
A. None….He fell.

Should somebody complain? Serious question.

We cannot have good things because some people like to take sides or have double standard. (not saying you do by the way) In my opinion, both men did wonderful job and this is the way it supposed to be.
But then again, if your "RULES" apply to everybody equally, and rules are: nobody should be offended by bad jokes comedians tell no matter how offensive they are, then sure, I certainly agree with you that the military man overreacted, he should just chill and enjoy the bad jokes.
Crenshaw was in an election and suddenly started getting all this press. Of course he’s going to milk it. If it had happened after the election, he probably would have laughed to be in a joke on SNL. Let’s be realistic. No one should have been offended by the joke. It was really the “he lost his eye in War...or whatever” that somewhat offensive. But even that is *meh*.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:31 PM

39,219 posts, read 27,589,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Crenshaw was in an election and suddenly started getting all this press. Of course he’s going to milk it. If it had happened after the election, he probably would have laughed to be in a joke on SNL. Let’s be realistic. No one should have been offended by the joke. It was really the “he lost his eye in War...or whatever” that somewhat offensive. But even that is *meh*.
well, in all fairness, Davidson was slammed for making fun of the SEALs while he was only a candidate. The SEALs even said that military service members made fun of each other all the time, but the jokes need to be original and funny. He did not want to demand an apology, and he was not offended, but when ASKED (keywords: when ASKED), he responded with, "I am not demanding an apology, but veterans' wounds should not be used as a punchline for bad jokes." I believe the statement is honest and fair. He's only expressing his own opinion, and that opinion is the joke is not appropriate.

Obviously, this is a win win situation for both men. The apology video on youtube alone generated over 1 million views. I never knew who the comedian was, and now I don't mind watching him every once in a while. He seems lovely. Obviously, this incidence helped his career as well.

Last edited by lilyflower3191981; 11-13-2018 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies