Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 01:04 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
If he's *breathing* he's lying.
If his fingers are twitching.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 01:29 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
PG&E is tied to one fire, the last I heard. Is it more? And that one had nothing to do with Federal Land.
They seem to have been at least partially culpable in 17 out of 21 fires last year. That was a recently released report, I don’t have the cite handy, but I’m sure google can find it.

Also, while there are frequent exceptions, as a rule, PG&E transmission poles are not found in federal forests.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:04 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
As usual, Trump knows zero about the issue, hasn't done a deep dive into forest management because, of course, that's too much work and would require READING which he hates - and is once, again, blowing HOT AIR.

When will people finally accept every word out of this man's mouth is worthless.
lol
Just like your post does.

Old 11-19-2018, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
In all the western states I know anything about, there are multiple inter-agency agreements between all levels of government (and many private entities involved with firefighting), regarding fire response, including inter-state compacts. The problem is that there are not enough firefighters during the height of the fire season, and the fire season is getting longer every year. These compacts work amazingly well, despite the lack of sufficient resources.

As for the fire intensity - YOU may not believe in climate change, but most wildfire fighters do. And unless we figure out a way to irrigate the forests, fire behavior is going to become more intense. We can do a lot more to ameliorate the effects, but we can't stop it, no matter what we do.

Ponder this map - https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage - and ask yourself how many firefighters it would have taken to control this.
Why is the fire season getting longer?

Old 11-19-2018, 02:35 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post

"I was with the president of Finland, and he said: 'We have a much different [sic]..., we're a forest nation.' And they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don't have any problem,"

Finland: "what the hell??"

They're quite amused. Finnish President has no idea what the hell Trump is talking about. And stable genius Trump left out that Finland is a much colder climate country with a crapload of water, not a major drought. Might make a difference, ya think?

Another example of how our President is an I D I O T. He just dribbles nonsense out of his pie hole about any topic way over his head and thinks he's impressing everyone, happy as a clam with his utter ignorance.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/apos-smar...031217488.html

"A heat wave this summer caused huge forest fires across Europe, including Finland."

"One big difference: Rainfall since May at Jarbo Gap in Butte County, near where the Camp fire started, was at 0.7 inches. The May-November rainfall in Rovaniemi, Lapland’s capital: 15.76 inches."

"Finland and California also differ greatly in their winds, said meteorologist Geoff Fox in Irvine. California’s Santa Ana winds are dry, desiccating vegetation as they whip through canyons and passes. They don’t exist in Finland’s relatively flat country."

Despite what Trump says, Finland fires are totally different from California fires - Los Angeles Times

Once again, Trump has no idea what he's talking about.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:00 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,583,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Trump is right and if you want to read a well written article discussing the subject try this one. More control burns and harvesting of trees need to be done but CA environmentalist fight proper controls.

How Misguided Environmentalism Is To Blame For California's Wildfires
It looks likes the Alt-Right Trumpists have stumbled across another issue they will use to blame and bash liberals. Next thing you know, they will be blaming them as being the true culprits in global warming.

Getting back to the OP's home grounds in Pennsylvania, I just read that they are facing an epidemic of fairly new and very expensive homes, that are decaying rapidly, because of water leaks. This is due to shoddy construction, enabled by poor inspection standards and practices. Many thousands of homeowners are having to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars, to rebuild their houses and some of them can't be saved, no matter how much is spent. Now that is just as much my business, as the West Coast wildfires are to someone who lives there. Do you suppose that the liberals can be blamed for the lax home inspection standards? After all, the court-ordered elimination of republican-skewed gerrymandering caused Pennsylvania to make a hard turn towards blue in the recent election.

Last edited by Steve McDonald; 11-19-2018 at 03:18 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 03:03 AM

19,201 posts, read 16,675,444 times

Old 11-19-2018, 03:06 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Why is the fire season getting longer?
It's getting warmer and drier on average here in the West, for one big part? Last winter was our hottest on record here in Utah. It's cooler this year, but we still haven't had snow yet here in the valleys. It usually starts mid October from what I've seen. Had some rain at least.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latimeria View Post
It's getting warmer and drier on average here in the West, for one big part? Last winter was our hottest on record here in Utah. It's cooler this year, but we still haven't had snow yet here in the valleys. It usually starts mid October from what I've seen. Had some rain at least.
Thanks for the info.
Based on current weather conditions but why is it getting longer each year? Because of the weather getting worse and it's a cumulative effect or government is extending the fire season even though the weather hasn't changed much? Are they extending the season more so because they recognized their inability, for whatever reason, to make it shorter through policy because they don't have the ability to contain fires. If true, why is that?

Specifically, what has changed is what I'm asking, and is it all based on weather?

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 11-19-2018 at 03:39 AM..

Old 11-19-2018, 03:36 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,111,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Thanks for the info.
Based on current weather conditions but why is it getting longer each year? Because of the weather getting worse and it's a cummlative effect or government is extending the fire season even though the weather hasn't changed much? Are they extending the season more so because they recognized of their inability to make it shorter through policy because they don't have the ability to contain fires. If true, why is that?

Specifically, what has changed is what I'm asking, and is it all based on weather?
Cumulative effect is a lot of it.

"In more recent years, the drought that plagued large swaths of California essentially turned the state into a tinder box. Although a state of emergency was largely lifted for the drought in April 2017, rainfall remained well below average last winter and again this autumn, Swain said.

Combine that with how California in July saw its hottest month ever recorded with a string of record-breaking heat waves, Swain said vegetation in the state has been left "tinder, tinder dry."

They also have the Ssnta Ana winds this time of year.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...it-may-n934521
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies