Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2018, 11:20 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Because Kemp was only partially successful in suppressing the votes in Georgia. But don't worry, they'll have voter suppression down to a pat science by 2020.

With him as Governor, you can bet he will. As for the people honoring stupid statues of men who had no issue killing Americans, tear them all down. Most were put up in the early to mid 1900's in an attempt to prove how racist southerners can be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2018, 11:22 AM

2,362 posts, read 777,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
With him as Governor, you can bet he will. As for the people honoring stupid statues of men who had no issue killing Americans, tear them all down. Most were put up in the early to mid 1900's in an attempt to prove how racist southerners can be.
At the very least he shouldn't be able to supervise an election he's running in. That's a conflict of interest, and putting the fox in charge of the hen house kind of situation.

Put someone neutral in charge. Hard this day and age.

Old 11-22-2018, 11:42 AM

4,559 posts, read 1,436,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
And these Democrats basically throw fuel on the fire that is the alt-right. I want the alt-right to die. But for that to happen, Democrats will need to stop fanning the flames of racial hatred and division.
Ok. Thats nuts.
The more Republicans are exposed for their elite separatist and worker /soldier society aims the better.
Let the fringe , fringe. Keep them in the corner or our eye, contained and squash when they rise up...as in....Trump using the uneducated sociopathic fringe minority to make power moves to line his family pockets.

Make no mistake, if he could, for the same $$$$$$ payoff as Americas piggy bank and $$$$$$ connections....he d run for president of any country.
Trumps are without a country.
You think they care about America? Just as long as they can continue to reap OBSCENE amounts of riches and demonize anyone who exposes them..they 'll stay.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:07 PM

5,301 posts, read 6,181,559 times
Sherman was motivated to burn down the south by the Confederates' burning to the ground of Chambersburg, PA. "He who sows the wind will reap the whirlwind"- Hosea 8:7.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:11 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Odd thing about the Civil War is a million plus died, not knowing more automated ways to pick Cotton, would render the assets of salve holders next to worthless within a quarter century. That would have ended US slavery quickly.
And imagine what our country would be if slavery had died a natural death. I think race relations would have been a whole lot better today.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:25 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Take a drive along route 16 in Georgia and stop in a roadside diner with your New York plates. By the time you leave you will wonder if they spat in your food.
Anyone that acts that way is a moron, regardless of if they're from the north or south.

Good God.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:28 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
That didn't extend to lionizing Confederate historical figures, and let's be straight about why such memorials are erected - to show the newly freed black community "who's boss," many decades after the Civil War. C'mon now.
Not to go off topic but this issue about the statues and memorials has been discussed on CD before. Yes, I am sure there were statues put up to stick a finger up at the Federal government or civil rights for Black Americans. But its got to the point that people are making stuff up.

Case in point, the Robert E Lee Memorial in New Orleans. Someone here on CD quoted a political science professor as saying the people of New Orleans put up the statue to protest a 1896 Supreme Court decision (Plessy versus Ferguson). But a quick 1 minute search showed that the statue went up in the mid 1880s, more then ten years BEFORE the Supreme Court decision.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert...,_Louisiana%29

Most of the statues that went up decades after the Civil War were put up by veterans or their families on both sides as memorials. As the teenagers and twenty somethings of the 1860s got older they wanted something to memorialize their former comrades, usually after a general who died. The last of the Civil War veterans only died in the 1950s. Both sides, did it. there are statues to generals all over the Northern states and they have nothing to do with protesting against Black Americans or the Federal government.

This is what people did back then. And we are still doing it The WW2 Memorial in Washington was created only about 15 years ago when people realized that the last of the WW2 veterans were getting old and were one day going to pass on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...ar_II_Memorial

Old 11-22-2018, 12:29 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,910,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
And imagine what our country would be if slavery had died a natural death. I think race relations would have been a whole lot better today.
"Natural" death...

I think actually recognizing the evil of it was a better way to end it.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:46 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,407,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This site was the meeting place of the KKK for years, they announced their rebirth in the 1920's at Stone Mountain. I understand these generals are a part of history but to portray them as heroes is misguided. Its up to the citizens of Ga to decide but this is a difficult choice, I see only one purpose in these monuments being erected decades after the civil war and its not about history.
* correction it’s up to the Yankee majority of Atlanta to decide.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:50 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Many of you who read my posts know that I've been a liberal for many years. I revere history and believe that the Confederacy had more than its share of great generals. Reverence for great men who believed in their cause should not be the source of controversy. As a native New Yorker, I object to the statue of Sherman on the corner of 59th and fifth in NYC. While it is believed that Sherman brought the Civil War to a quicker end, the total destruction caused by his march to Savannah and back up to Columbia SC as a new low in war. No one is calling for the removal of that statue. To Southerners who make the trip North to see the great New York City, the statue opens new wounds.

Stacey Abrams who ran for the governorship in Georgia last month and lost, called for the removal of Stone Mountain. When even black Georgians opposed this as an erasure of history, I can't imagine how this didn't galvanize white voters against her.

My only surprise is how her margin of loss wasn't larger.

Sherman did save lives, both Northern and Southern.

Not only did he help shorten the war by his "burnings" (and no he did not burn down the entire state of Georgia) but he also favored maneuver versus sending his men into frontal assaults. This saved many lives.

For example, in the Atlanta campaign he faced a good defensive general (Joe Johnston) and rather then launching costly assaults against the Confederates, he kept flanking the smaller Confederate army and forced Johnston to keep retreating from one defensive line to another all the way to Atlanta. This saved lives in both the Union and Confederate armies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies