Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:51 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specific Point View Post
I attended an event where the superintendent of schools spoke to the community. He was talking about the differences between various ethnic groups in academic test results. He told the audience that he firmly believed that in 20 years that there would be no difference in academic performance and test scores between Black, White, Asian and Hispanic students. Then someone asked if there would any difference in test scores between rich and poor students. He doubled down and said that in twenty years that gap would be eliminated too.

Everyone clapped and looked so proud of themselves for being in a society where this could happen.

Do YOU think there will be a time in your life where all races and income levels will be equal in academic performance?
Hahaha!!! So completely wrong.

It's a cultural issue here. If a student is from a culture where the parents don't care about academic performance and instead care more about what Kim Kardashian is wearing or the newest Beyonce song, then that student will always test lower. Or if the parents and all their friends are speaking ebonics, they just aren't going to easily have the extensive vocabulary that a student who comes from a family that speaks excellent business English has.

Part of the reason I always tested well in school is because my parents had us watching PBS tv shows and BBC productions. And we listened to and played classical music. We were avid readers of quality books like Charlotte's Web and The Hobbit. No casual youth oriented literature.

Otherwise, not every person needs to be an intellectual or science major. Some people have better mechanical skills or people skills. And as students they would test lower, but as an adult they could or would be more successful with a career in the skilled trades or the hospitality industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2018, 10:53 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,233,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Yes. Test questions will be simplified such that everyone will be able to answer them, even mentally challenged so as to close gap on differences.
IOW let the dumbing sown begin.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:17 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I went to a school with a lot of asian students in southern California.

a lot of high-achieving Asian students are first generation immigrants. Their parents came to the US as war refugees, speak no english, and working in low paying jobs in nail salons, factory, and restaurant business. Do you think they have a lot of money to burn for extra tutoring?

Those asian parents don't have money for tutors, but they have a belt or stick to beat their kids if their kids don't get A+ in school. LoL
My comment is based on a quote I saw about a year ago.

Something along the lines of:

"The kids that get into Harvard without compromise are East Asian or white kids whose parents pay a lot for tutors"

Old 11-27-2018, 11:17 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,403,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
No, for the simple reason that the socioeconomic gap between races will not close in 20 years. There are proportionately more poor blacks and Hispanics than whites or people of Asian ancestry, and poor people generally don't have the same educational assistance -- particularly in the home (again, usually) but often in their formal schooling, also.

Until THAT gap is closed (which might not be in the foreseeable future, if at all), there WILL be differences in how racial groups as a whole perform on tests, unless the tests are completely "dumbed down", as other posters have suggested they might be.
There is a possible blurred line between making testing questions more understandable for those on the lower end of Amer. socio-economic scale and making the testing questions become SJW-tailored. Honestly, I don't know where that distinction lies.

Old 11-27-2018, 11:37 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,177,123 times
Quote:
But it came from a highly respected Superintendent of Schools and no one laughed at him when he said it.
So?

Wishful thinking is irrelevant.

As long as people exist, there will always be gaps.

Socio-economics has nothing to do with it, because intelligence is overwhelmingly genetic.

There are kids who grew up in corrugated tin shacks with no electricity or running water, and the government spent $120 per student on education, yet they became volcanologists.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
My comment is based on a quote I saw about a year ago.

Something along the lines of:

"The kids that get into Harvard without compromise are East Asian or white kids whose parents pay a lot for tutors"
Those East Asian kids are probably 3rd or 4th generation Chinese or Japanese Americans whose English is their first language and grew up in affluent neighborhoods.

The majority of SE Asian (Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam) came to US after 1975. Their parents probably work low-paying jobs like in restaurants, nail salons, or factories. These kids suffer the most from Harvard's open discrimination on Asian students

Old 11-27-2018, 01:09 PM

39,230 posts, read 27,623,465 times
I think for the most part, Asian cultural values are not simply about a harsh and uncompromising parenting style, they are about inculcating children to be aware of the need for a good education. Asians don’t worry too much about their kids’ complaints today, for they play the long game.

My conclusion is that I personally know absolutely nothing about black community. So I don't think I can really comment on it. This said, my future brother-in-law is a black guy who came from a family that values education. He did well and he is a very successful individual.

My own grandmother on the other hand met my grandfather when she studied in Harvard University. She dropped out and never graduated from that school. lol She obviously valued "romance" more than education. She became a bitter and unhappy woman who always blamed other people for her own failure.

She is Japanese-American, and my brother-in-law is a Black man. Race has nothing to do with it. It is about one's attitude towards education. I remember once she complained about "black people always blame others", I said, "Well, you certainly always complained about grandpa, and maybe it is time to look at yourself in the mirror and realize you only have yourself to blame. Plus, aren't you a minority yourself? lol Why looking down on other folks? " lol

Old 11-27-2018, 01:20 PM

16,560 posts, read 10,643,864 times
Quote:
I attended an event where the superintendent of schools spoke to the community. He was talking about the differences between various ethnic groups in academic test results. He told the audience that he firmly believed that in 20 years that there would be no difference in academic performance and test scores between Black, White, Asian and Hispanic students. Then someone asked if there would any difference in test scores between rich and poor students. He doubled down and said that in twenty years that gap would be eliminated too.

Everyone clapped and looked so proud of themselves for being in a society where this could happen.

Do YOU think there will be a time in your life where all races and income levels will be equal in academic performance?

Did anyone ask the Superintendent why he thought that these gaps would be eliminated? Or what specific strategies his school district intended to utilize to eliminate them? If someone in a position of authority in the educational system is going to make a sweeping prediction like that, he should be prepared to back it up with some concrete evidence or specific strategies. And the members of the community should hold him to it.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:23 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
School officials are long on promises and short on delivering in many places.

Sounds like nothing but a cheap political promise that they'll be retired before it ever comes to pass.

Old 11-27-2018, 01:26 PM

14,232 posts, read 4,599,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think for the most part, Asian cultural values are not simply about a harsh and uncompromising parenting style, they are about inculcating children to be aware of the need for a good education. Asians don’t worry too much about their kids’ complaints today, for they play the long game.

My conclusion is that I personally know absolutely nothing about black community. So I don't think I can really comment on it. This said, my future brother-in-law is a black guy who came from a family that values education. He did well and he is a very successful individual.

My own grandmother on the other hand met my grandfather when she studied in Harvard University. She dropped out and never graduated from that school. lol She obviously valued "romance" more than education. She became a bitter and unhappy woman who always blamed other people for her own failure.

She is Japanese-American, and my brother-in-law is a Black man. Race has nothing to do with it. It is about one's attitude towards education. I remember once she complained about "black people always blame others", I said, "Well, you certainly always complained about grandpa, and maybe it is time to look at yourself in the mirror and realize you only have yourself to blame. Plus, aren't you a minority yourself? lol Why looking down on other folks? " lol
Harvard disagrees with your statement.

Apparently they believe all Asians are rich, smart, and have enough money to send their kids to private schools with private tutors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies