Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2018, 07:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,719,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Its that time of year when package delivery is at a high, many times the delivery guy just leaves the package at the front door with no security,this season i've had 2 Xmas packages stolen grrrr. Although Amazon is pretty good at resening merchandise its getting too late for those packets to arrive before Christmas.
What gets me is... They drop and run. No doorbell no knocking.
I live on a dead end street with a cul-de-sac at the end. There is no out so it is not a thru street. If you drive down our street you better know someone or have business or all the neighbors see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2018, 07:49 AM

25,858 posts, read 16,569,925 times
I saw a post on my local “Next Door” app (great app btw) about how you could take your empty amazon boxes and box up all your unwanted junk and just leave it on your porch LOL.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:52 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
People in my Zip Code use the Nextdoor Neighbor app for informal communications. There has been a rash of reports of MIA deliveries from UPS. What is being found is there is a break in communication between UPS and their shipping customers. Specifically, UPS is delivering to USPS and the shippers are reporting the package as “ delivered” to consumers.

USPS delivers within 2 working days. Obviously, UPS ( private sector) is being overwhelmed in my neck of the woods and is handing off to USPS ( public) to finish the job. This is not a rural area.

I have ARLO cameras positioned to film all activity at doors, patio, and driveway. I think they might serve as a visible deterrent to a would be criminal or that’s what I tell myself. Reality is the likelihood LE is going to track down a random human in a hoodie who stole a package based on film is probably somewhere between slim and none.

As a side note, new high rise residential buildings, in densely populated urban areas, dedicate space for receiving and holding package deliveries for their residents. Residents recieve a text alerting them the building is holding a package for them. After X days, they impose a daily storage fee if the resident does not pick up.

Old 12-17-2018, 07:53 AM

19,859 posts, read 12,147,585 times
There have been numerous arrests of UPS seasonal delivery persons stealing packages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYPmLRJqb04

Old 12-17-2018, 07:57 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,453,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I live on a dead end street with a cul-de-sac at the end. There is no out so it is not a thru street. If you drive down our street you better know someone or have business or all the neighbors see it.
I prefer this over the noise and riling up the dogs.
The blink tells me with a gentle buzz on the phone that someone is at the door.
With several drop-offs a day this time of year, I appreciate the drop and go.

What I don't appreciate is the USPS people lying about attempting to deliver something when all theh do is just drive by and stick a note in the mailbox to go to the post office.
I have literally watched them do this from my front door.
Multiple times.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:01 AM

17,737 posts, read 6,983,323 times
The package stealing is so bad in my area here in Baltimore that anyone who still has a package delivered to their doorstep really is not too bright.

You can have packages delivered to other places, like businesses, and pick them up there. That's what almost everyone does here. Yet we still have multiple incidents of package theft, so I do place some of the blame with the victims. Should you be able to have a package delivered to your house without it getting stolen? Yes. Does that mean you should be surprised when it happens? No.

It's much like the border wall. If you don't take precautions, people will break the law and victimize you. Make it as difficult for them as possible.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:05 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,602,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Would you vote for a Democrat DA candidate or a Republican DA candidate? We all know the answer to that. So don't whine when you are victimized by petty crime - the people you vote for don't care about prosecuting petty crime.
The OP lives in Canada.

Old 12-17-2018, 08:10 AM

12,407 posts, read 8,194,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The entire business is about time per delivery. You see an extra second or two. The carrier/driver or whatever the particular company calls him multiples those extra seconds along with the physical wear and tear of additional steps by hundreds. Along with the increasing danger of dogs and thieves as you move closer to a house door and away from the street.

And with the newer cameras and intercoms you don't want to lose more time as the homeowner tries to give you special instructions if you didn't drop and run to the next delivery point

Old 12-17-2018, 08:15 AM

12,407 posts, read 8,194,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
If you live in Suffolk County Massachusetts (Boston area) -- it's perfectly OK to steal packages or anything else according to the new District Attorney who takes office on Jan 2.

Theft is fine, shoplifting is fine, walking restaurant tickets is fine ... as long as it's less than $250.
She won't prosecute.
It is nearly the same in California only the felony threshold is set even higher. Beyond the aggravation of being processed and working at a swap meet to get money for the stolen loot porch piracy is near the perfect low risk crime

Old 12-17-2018, 11:17 AM

41,998 posts, read 75,328,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
I get notification from amazon when my amazon package arrives.
Me, too, but if the package is delivered on the morning and I don't get home until early evening, my package is sitting on my porch for a few hours..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies