Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2018, 02:27 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,359,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
God invented science.
Maybe. Depends on how God is defined.

For the record, I'm not necessarily anti-religion. I'm just pro-rational thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2018, 02:28 PM

16,639 posts, read 8,643,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
When you hear that someone is a Libertarian, do you think anything particular about the person--and anything particularly good or bad? Or are there so few Libertarians out there that you think nothing of it?

For example, what if you child was dating someone and your child told you that the person is a Libertarian? Or you saw that a regular acquaintance who you don't know well has a Libertarian bumper sticker?

Thanks.
You are obviously asking a very generalized question, and one size does not fit all.

In a very general sense, they come across as being a bit socially awkward, quirky, etc.
Sure any end of the political spectrum can have some odd kooks, but libertarians have more than their fare share.

As to the kid dating a self proclaimed libertarian, I'd be concerned with potential drug use/possession when my kid was in their presence for starters.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:34 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,391,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Are private schools any different?
In public schools the indoctrination is a sure thing. In private schools it isn't.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:39 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,445,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
In public schools the indoctrination is a sure thing. In private schools it isn't.
Interesting, I made a thread about this in the education sub-forum. I find most all forms of education problematic.

Out of curiosity, what do libertarians think of a democratic education? Like seen in some private schools and tribal areas, or farming communities like the Zapatistas.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_education

Old 12-29-2018, 02:49 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,359,117 times
Quote:
Interesting, I made a thread about this in the education sub-forum. I find most all forms of education problematic.

Out of curiosity, what do libertarians think of a democratic education? Like seen in some private schools and tribal areas, or farming communities like the Zapatistas.
I've actually heard some libertarians who like the Sudbury school, but I'm not sure how popular total equality between teacher and student would be for most people. It's an interesting experiment.

Unschooling is interesting too. Overall, I'd probably want the students to have strong guidance in what to do, but not the current jail-like school system we think of as normal. I never personally felt that upset about school when I was growing up, but it really is creepy how similar it is to prison.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Maybe. Depends on how God is defined.

For the record, I'm not necessarily anti-religion. I'm just pro-rational thinking.
And when you don't know something it's not mandatory to make up a reason nor is it incumbent upon you to prove a negative at the behest of others.

Furthermore, things exist in nature without pride or prejudice. I'm not good enough to play in the NBA. My disabled sister can't cognitively process information at the level that I can. I will die.

Yeah that all sucks...to most people at least. But it's non-negotiable. No matter how many laws, regulations and initiations of force on others you impose it just is.

That personality test we all took the other day really illustrates these points. Logic, plan and if there is no answer - no need to pull out your gun or make up an answer.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:04 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,909,461 times
The real problem is mans inhumanity to man is in our nature. It is an unsolvable problem.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:

As long as the NAP is upheld I don't care what kind of schooling you do/don't do.

That's why government schools are an abomination.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,586,913 times
Quote:
What is property?

Something you use, something you store, or something you lay claim to?
Something you acquired legally.

“Property is anything that a person or business has legal title over. Property can be either tangible or intangible, and having legal title to it grants the owner certain enforceable rights. Typical examples of a tangible property include real estate, also known as real property, vehicles, furniture, and equipment.”

Old 12-29-2018, 03:33 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,445,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Something you acquired legally.
Ah, so by the law.

Does not apply in Anarchy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies