Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you happy with Trump’s deal to reopen the Federal government for 3 weeks?
I’m happy with the deal 41 36.61%
It’s ok 50 44.64%
I’m unhappy with this deal 21 18.75%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 12:10 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,304,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
It's all relative when it comes to the ludicrous comments above.

Had Obama conceded and postponed the SOTU requested by the Speak of the House then he would be praised for his willingness to do the right thing. They would adore him for making such a wise decision, etc., etc., etc.

However, since it was President Trump who agreed to postpone the SOTU he is now viewed as a loser who has been defeated and what a laughable joke he is. Not one word about how great it is that he is wanting to work for the betterment of our country by his willingness to work with both sides of the aisle.

When the agreement is reached regarding the wall and the government is back up and running all of the praise will be given to the left - - - no matter how much either side concedes.

There is nothing wrong with being loyal to one's party and expressing viewpoints as long as it's done maturely and with intelligent forethought, it should never consist of childish comments and name calling to the point of bullying. Political bullying is declaring that anyone with views opposite from yours is to be targeted, harassed and removed from public eye. Freedom of speech (to many on the left) is only allowed if you're against President Trump and want to join their campaign.

Beyond pathetic.
You are conveniently ignoring the fact that he pulled his "I AM DOING A SOTU FROM THE HOUSE" stunt minutes before Pelosi postponed it.

It's very unlikely Obama would have done anything like what Trump did.

Also, calling people pathetic is a form of bullying.

Last edited by JPD; 01-24-2019 at 12:22 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2019, 12:12 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Why doesn’t Trump give the address in the Senate chamber?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:13 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,920,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Why doesn’t Trump give the address in the Senate chamber?
Too small?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:18 PM

3,923 posts, read 3,648,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Sorry, this is still on Trump.

His counteroffer was nothing but nonsense.
Please, I would love to hear why you think his counteroffer was nonsense. I mean, I know Schumer and Pelosi say it's a non-starter, but that's based on nothing more than their absolute unwillingness to negotiate at all if there's any funding at all for the border wall. The fact that they won't negotiate at all is nonsense. It's not a negotiation if you refuse to consider conceding some things you don't want to get those you do. Trump has shown a willingness to do this, while Democrats have not. Democrats do not want compromise, they want the president to submit. That is nonsense.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:18 PM

27,660 posts, read 16,151,349 times
Lol. Trump just handed her another hot potato. Lmao, whatcha gonna do nanc

Old 01-24-2019, 12:26 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,234,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
A wall will deter a portion of the minority of illegals who are not visa overstayers who cross the border at places not already barricades or ports of entry. So, a fraction of a minority percentage. And it will take over a decade to build. Other measures will do a better job for cheaper and can be implemented faster without taking land from US citizens. That is what I, and apparently the Democrats, are advocating for.

I'm not for a wall for the sake of having a wall. I'm for a wall for the deterrent effect of people coming to the border and making it across the border. I could support that advanced technology solution if it meant more than turning the entire border into a de facto admissions processing center. As I said before, repeatedly ignored by Dems, it does little good to catch more if it just means releasing more. We have to increase detention space to hold illegal entrants until they can be deported, we have to increase judges so processing cases doesn't take years, and we need to revise our laws to keep unqualified asylum requests from flooding the system.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:28 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,568,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What are you talking about? Pelosi schooled Trump on how the House works and Trump backed down like the child he is.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:30 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,084,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltine View Post
What hot potato would that be? The one where Pelosi said, "No, Lil' Donnie, you will not be giving a speech in Congress until the government is reopened," which Lil' Donnie was forced, against his will, to accept? That hot potato?

Old 01-24-2019, 12:39 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,342,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
Too small?
I guess so. Nobody has any other explanation.

I never have understood the protocol surrounding the SOTU. The Constitution just says that the President should report to Congress every year. Nothing about a speech. Nothing about its location.Unless I’m mistaken, Woodrow Wilson was the first to deliver the report in person.

I admit that it is fun to see half the Congress applaud their guy, and the other half sit on their hands and scowl. Kind of like the Academy Awards, except that the performers are less attractive. The performances do seem to have grown hackneyed, though...

Old 01-24-2019, 12:40 PM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
You know he didn't win the majority, right?

What counts? If what you really believe to be the true votes (popular) then as little as 10 states could elect a president....think about it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies