Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should POTUS declare a state of emergency for the border wall?
Yes 96 34.78%
No 180 65.22%
Voters: 276. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Do these funds provided the amounts needed? The granddaddy of all money pots - general purpose Pentagon funds cannot by law be used for military construction. All military construction projects first must be approved by Congress. There are a couple of exceptions, one of which provides about $50 million dollars. A drop in the bucket. The other stipulates the emergency must be in support of the military forces.

How that needle gets threaded is anybody's guess. But if Trump puts the US military on the border - to defend not the border but the legality of his wall construction - he still needs to come up with a basis for the "emergency." Sure there are border enforcement issues but an emergency is hard to defend using publicly available data. Terrorism? Public health?

Trump has been referring this week to the "humanitarian" crisis at the border. But that appears to be more a result of his own policies and would not be addressed by a wall.
It only says-
A president must issue a written and signed declaration that specifies the specific emergency powers he plans to rely on and invoke.

“Unlike other executive orders, one that declares a national emergency unlocks the powers contained in more than 100 other laws,” Goitein told The Washington Post.

Of the vast statutory powers Trump would avail himself of, Goitein said two could arguably allow him to build the border wall with Defense Department funding.

These federal statutes make available some funds set aside for military construction projects or repurpose money originally dedicated to civil projects supporting the military and national defense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6bfb5751a217

The only emergency is Individual 1's treasonous presidency.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 12:30 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
The threat here is we are teetertotting on a slippery slope, to no longer being a democracy and subcoming our priciples under a tyrant like Cuba. If you want to strong arm your way on how to rule the govt - not just making policy changes, we have bigger issues than illegals crossing the border. I watch his moves and always think Germany - he wants to give citizenship to the H1B high skilled workers - yet cut off the spouses benefits - I think we should train our kids for these high paying jobs - but so many things all relate to that same plan. The wall, stopping people at the airport, profiling the Latinos, wanting to cut off Puerto Rico. If he gets his way - America will never be the same. I have a feeling, American Values will be lost. God help us all.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:34 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
So we had further clarification from my Congressman Garrett Graves and looks like Louisiana's flood control funds including the Comite Diversion Canal and the Lake Pontchartrain levees are NOT on the chopping block and won't be affected, and that they WILL be targeting funds from California and Puerto Rico like I thought would be the smart thing to do. Someone like Trump understands how important his base is and we here in Louisiana are a strong part of his base. (except for the black people here but numerically they have no power).

Taking funds from California and Puerto Rico will put pressure on Pelosi and on Ocasia Cortez as their people will be directly impacted. Yes I know Cortez represents New York City but she is a Puerto Rican and cares much about her people. (the fact that she can't just have one first name and one last name the American way vs the Latin American convention of two last names shows something about her and her connection to Puerto Rico)
Wow. I make a major effort not to react emotionally to folks' posts but do you realize what you're saying here? Heaven forbid your flood control funds are disrupted but it's just dandy for "their people" to be directly impacted.

Me, I was opposed to Trump's wall border because he might not be able to get a boondoggle funded. And that - being Trump - he would then raid the accessible Homeland Security funds used to protect the border from terrorism in the ports. You know, from things that may go boom, impacting millions. True, many of us living close to East Coast ports clogged with container ships may not have voted for Trump but this is relevant how?

Trump needs to go to Congress and make his case to get his funds. This should NOT come down to pitting disasters that potentially impact one group of Americans against another set. EVER.

Period.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:39 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,082,774 times
Quote:
So we had further clarification from my Congressman Garrett Graves and looks like Louisiana's flood control funds including the Comite Diversion Canal and the Lake Pontchartrain levees are NOT on the chopping block and won't be affected, and that they WILL be targeting funds from California and Puerto Rico like I thought would be the smart thing to do. Someone like Trump understands how important his base is and we here in Louisiana are a strong part of his base. (except for the black people here but numerically they have no power).

Taking funds from California and Puerto Rico will put pressure on Pelosi and on Ocasia Cortez as their people will be directly impacted. Yes I know Cortez represents New York City but she is a Puerto Rican and cares much about her people. (the fact that she can't just have one first name and one last name the American way vs the Latin American convention of two last names shows something about her and her connection to Puerto Rico)
Wow, so you are openly advocating the president punish Americans who are victims of natural disasters in states that didn't vote for him by removing aid to ease their suffering just so he can get his way? And that he makes sure that Americans in the states that did vote for him suffer no such consequences of his temper tantrum? And you think this is a good way for a President of the United States of America to behave?

Do you understand why we call you guys deplorables? Your post provides a great example of how you continually live down to that descriptor.

Unreal.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:43 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KayAnn246 View Post
It only says-
A president must issue a written and signed declaration that specifies the specific emergency powers he plans to rely on and invoke.

“Unlike other executive orders, one that declares a national emergency unlocks the powers contained in more than 100 other laws,” Goitein told The Washington Post.

Of the vast statutory powers Trump would avail himself of, Goitein said two could arguably allow him to build the border wall with Defense Department funding.

These federal statutes make available some funds set aside for military construction projects or repurpose money originally dedicated to civil projects supporting the military and national defense.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.6bfb5751a217

The only emergency is Individual 1's treasonous presidency.
Thanks - is this ("arguably allow") saying that given the billions needed Trump would in any practical sense have to head for Defense Department funding, which could get complicated?

But in the meantime, he's willing to threaten Homeland fire fighting efforts in California etc. - for whatever funds will never be "enough" money. That's nothing but pure extortion - this time directed against Americans facing dire emergencies that threaten their lives not just their paychecks.

Unbelievable.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:45 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,274,620 times
Quote:

If you think only Puerto Ricans and Californians would care that the president of the US is declaring war on territories and states that either don't hold masses of his worshippers, or did not vote for him, you are living in the mother of all bubbles.

I hope he does it.

Trump declaring war on, and effectively killing Americans (people would die due to Trump and directly due to Trump), will be a tough sell for anyone to be elected, nevermind one who is always under investigation. He'll be fighting wrongful death suits by then.

And then Donny will go bye-bye.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:46 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
Quote:
Wow. I make a major effort not to react emotionally to folks' posts but do you realize what you're saying here? Heaven forbid your flood control funds are disrupted but it's just dandy for "their people" to be directly impacted.

Me, I was opposed to Trump's wall border because he might not be able to get a boondoggle funded. And that - being Trump - he would then raid the accessible Homeland Security funds used to protect the border from terrorism in the ports. You know, from things that may go boom, impacting millions. True, many of us living close to East Coast ports clogged with container ships may not have voted for Trump but this is relevant how?

Trump needs to go to Congress and make his case to get his funds. This should NOT come down to pitting disasters that potentially impact one group of Americans against another set. EVER.

Period.
This threat will force Pelosi and Ocasia Cortez to capitulate and vote to reopen the government and fund the border wall. This $5 billion is less than 0.01% of the total federal budget yet they oppose it simply for political correctness reasons. They think having a border wall is "racist". They have no other logical arguments against it given its such a small percentage of the federal budget and we give MUCH more in foreign aid including to Mexico and Central America, and to Planned Parenthood and other abortion centers yearly.

Or maybe Trump should threaten to divert Planned Parenthood funds for the wall now THAT would really get the Democrats panicking.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:49 PM

8,411 posts, read 7,428,259 times
Quote:

Period.
That's what his whole presidency has been based on. From his rallies after presidency to his response to the US citizens of PR.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:52 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
You realize that illegal immigrants are also killing countless Americans every day, and the drugs that come from the border and the crime that fuels also kills people every day. So if it comes to a state of emergency yes the funds SHOULD come from Pelosi's district and similar ones since they're the ones who refuse to secure the border.

And its the Democrats and the deep state who started targeting Trump's base specifically like how they taught China in the trade war to specifically increase tariffs on agricultural and industrial products made mostly in Republican states like Wisconsin dairy, Louisiana soybeans etc etc teh left and the deep state support our unfair status quo with China for example. I think the deep state and the globalists in the government have open communications with Communist China and the Party. Obama cared only for his base when he pushed Obamacare and engaged in his pro BLM anti police rhetoric and pushed DACA.

Old 01-12-2019, 12:55 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,217,771 times
Quote:
Or maybe Trump should threaten to divert Planned Parenthood funds for the wall now THAT would really get the Democrats panicking.
Actually, that would get attorneys plenty of work to do. Reallocating funds in this manner is outside the purview of any president. Trump cannot just move resources around unilaterally without inviting litigation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies