Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 02:15 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Farmers don't provide me crap. My Wheat is about ready to harvest, if the cows don't break down the fence first. I have a nice big garden spring through fall and plenty of hogs and deer. I even have 2 oil wells pumping, if I need to make some diesel.
Do you have a lot of tin foil, too?

Old 01-16-2019, 02:16 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,546,294 times
Quote:
Farmers don't provide me crap. My Wheat is about ready to harvest, if the cows don't break down the fence first. I have a nice big garden spring through fall and plenty of hogs and deer. I even have 2 oil wells pumping, if I need to make some diesel.
Translation: You are unable to respond seriously and intelligently so you have to reply with sarcasm. Not surprised.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:18 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,645,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do you have a lot of tin foil, too?
Tin foil is hard as hell to find these days. I have to wait for aluminum foil to blow down the road.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:20 PM

Quote:
You have the right to forage for food, on your property, or with permission of others, on theirs.
Where did you get that property?

From somebody else. Somebody sold you a piece of land. You paid for it with money you earned by providing yet another person with some good or service.

No matter how hard you try, you are going to be unable to demonstrate to me that anything you can do, short of getting a suntan and breathing air, can be done without at least indirect assistance from somebody else.

13,966 posts, read 5,630,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
So you're saying, we only have a right to food if we grow it ourselves? That's basically a pointless right, because why would we need a right to something we can do ourselves? Do I need a right to scratch my head? After all, I can do it myself. But what would be the point in giving me such a "right?" I would gain nothing, because I can do it myself whether I have some sort of legal "right" to do it or not.

I don't think anybody is saying, just because something is a "right" it should be free. Are gun rights advocates telling us guns should be free? Are health care advocates telling us health care should be free? Even those who do say it should be "free" acknowledge that it would be paid for via taxes, which means it wouldn't *really* be "free."
You do not have a right to anyone else's labor. You simply do not. You certainly have the right to attempt trade with others to supply yourself with that which you cannot or will not produce for yourself, but you have no right to force anyone to labor on your behalf.

You also have no right to force people into a association with you for any purpose. You have the right to attempt to forge voluntary associations, but the person/group you seek to associate with has every right to refuse or accept your offer of association according to their own rational self-interests.

As far as food producers go, they profit individually only when they can trade their produced goods with others for the things they need. A farmer, for example, excels at producing some number of food crops, but are they also skilled carpenters, plumbers, doctors, engineers, programmers, artists, writers, etc? Most of the time, no. So they have to trade with others for the stuff they need.

Everyone benefits from trade. But nobody has the right to exert force upon anyone else to force them to trade or to force the terms of trade. Farmers are not here to make sure you get fed. They are here to profit from a specific form of labor they have the materials and skills to make profitable. You have no right to their labor, nor they any duty to labor for you. They supply, you demand, and price is where those two things meet.

Quote:
Translation: You are unable to respond seriously and intelligently so you have to reply with sarcasm. Not surprised.
What part was sarcastic? I like to be self sufficient. You not so much. Better hurry, they are not making land anymore.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Where did you get that property?

From somebody else. Somebody sold you a piece of land. You paid for it with money you earned by providing yet another person with some good or service.

No matter how hard you try, you are going to be unable to demonstrate to me that anything you can do, short of getting a suntan and breathing air, can be done without at least indirect assistance from somebody else.

Actually I married into some and bought some with oil money. I provided you resources for a price.... yes. My price sheet has and Instant ass hole fee, too.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
You do not have a right to anyone else's labor. You simply do not. You certainly have the right to attempt trade with others to supply yourself with that which you cannot or will not produce for yourself, but you have no right to force anyone to labor on your behalf.

You also have no right to force people into a association with you for any purpose. You have the right to attempt to forge voluntary associations, but the person/group you seek to associate with has every right to refuse or accept your offer of association according to their own rational self-interests.

As far as food producers go, they profit individually only when they can trade their produced goods with others for the things they need. A farmer, for example, excels at producing some number of food crops, but are they also skilled carpenters, plumbers, doctors, engineers, programmers, artists, writers, etc? Most of the time, no. So they have to trade with others for the stuff they need.

Everyone benefits from trade. But nobody has the right to exert force upon anyone else to force them to trade or to force the terms of trade. Farmers are not here to make sure you get fed. They are here to profit from a specific form of labor they have the materials and skills to make profitable. You have no right to their labor, nor they any duty to labor for you. They supply, you demand, and price is where those two things meet.
You're still assuming a "right" is something that should be "free." I'm not sure where that is coming from.

If we do not have the right to anybody else's labor, then we do not have a right to own a gun, because owning a gun requires somebody else's labor to produce a gun.

If we *do* have some kind of right to a gun regardless of the labor issue, then we can just as easily make a right for ourselves for a right to health care.

- Gun rights: Gun costs money, needs somebody else to produce it, purchase it ("trade it") with money.
- Health care rights: Health care costs money, needs somebody else to produce it, purchase it ("trade it") with money.

No difference.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:34 PM

Quote:

- Gun rights: Gun costs money, needs somebody else to produce it, purchase it ("trade it") with money.
- Health care rights: Health care costs money, needs somebody else to produce it, purchase it ("trade it") with money.

No difference.
Maybe you. I don't rely on someone else making my firearms. I make may own. Rifles, shotguns and pistols.
You have never had to stitch yourself up, put a band-aid on it, or make a HOT toddy? You cannot make your own petro-carbo salve? I guess you do need someone else to care for you.

Old 01-16-2019, 02:35 PM

89,045 posts, read 44,853,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
There are strict restrictions to qualify, many poor people do not, depending on the state. ACA rules gave some relief but Trump is dismantling. Many poor are now back to being uninsured and forced to go to ER again for any medical problem and not getting preventive care.
I find that very hard to believe when 48% of all births/year in the US are paid for by Medicaid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies