Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2019, 10:40 AM

13,943 posts, read 5,615,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Living in a civilized society must be very tough for you, then. Do you get out much?
I get out plenty. Doesn't mean I have to accept or agree with the concept of being forced to labor for the benefit of others.

And I see the word "civilized" as the marketing slogan behind tyranny all the time. It makes me wonder - is that the measure of civility, how much the people are forced to labor on behalf of some oligarchy's notions of well ordered?

Old 01-15-2019, 10:43 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again. Give it by the 2030s at the latest and I will be proven right. We will have a single payer system. Even conservatives are getting on board with it.

The private system just costs too much money at the point of use, even with insurance.

And I work, and earn decent money. But still not enough to pay for say cancer treatment.....

By what right do you proclaim I MUST pay for your healthcare or should I refuse I shall be locked in a cage or killed? Am I YOUR slave? Are you willing to come to my door, gun in hand, to demand I pay since you must believe I am your slave?

By what right do you proclaim the authority to demand what I have earned in order to pay for something you could earn and pay for yourself? By what right do you demand to STEAL from me that which I have earned?

By what right???

Old 01-15-2019, 10:53 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Unless you agree that slavery is legal and proper, there can be no such thing as the positive right (defined as a right to some portion of somebody else's labor/skills).

Period.

In greater detail - if I claim that I have a "right" to that which another individual or group thereof provides, then I make a claim that I have a "right" to some portion of their labor SOLELY for my benefit, whenever I want. The word we have for people who have a portion of their labor owned by others by right is "slave."

You cannot describe the concept of "positive rights" any other way.
100% correct.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM

3,617 posts, read 1,820,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Again. Give it by the 2030s at the latest and I will be proven right. We will have a single payer system. Even conservatives are getting on board with it.

The private system just costs too much money at the point of use, even with insurance.

And I work, and earn decent money. But still not enough to pay for say cancer treatment.....

Frankly, I give a damn if you will not earn enough to pay for insurance or even cancer treatment because I am NOT your slave nor am I your keeper. You aren't my wife and you aren't my child, so by what RIGHT do you demand to steal from me in order to pay for that which you could earn on your own?

Did GOD give you the right to STEAL from me? Does proclaiming a right to a home entitle you to STEAL from the labors of others in order to pay for that home as long as you get the scumbags in government to agree and pass some law?

Does passing a law permitting you to STEAL from others just because you don't think it's FAIR that others have more than you make that act of THEFT moral?

By what right???

Old 01-15-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
You appear to not understand who the slave is in regard to healthcare. The slave would be everyone who is forced to pay, by threat of imprisonment or death if they do not pay, for the healthcare of any person other other than themselves or their family.
Yep, exactly. And I'm sick to death of those who gleefully advocate for slavery.

Old 01-15-2019, 10:57 AM

Quote:
The concept that I would be a slave to you if I were compelled, by law, to help pay for your medical care is NOT a difficult concept to comprehend. I owe you nothing. The mere fact that you were born does NOT entitle you to demand that I or anyone else help pay for your healthcare.
Spot on! How is that so hard for some to comprehend?

Old 01-15-2019, 11:04 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times
Quote:
By what right do you proclaim I MUST pay for your healthcare or should I refuse I shall be locked in a cage or killed? Am I YOUR slave? Are you willing to come to my door, gun in hand, to demand I pay since you must believe I am your slave?

By what right do you proclaim the authority to demand what I have earned in order to pay for something you could earn and pay for yourself? By what right do you demand to STEAL from me that which I have earned?

By what right???
What the hell are you talking about? Is this that stupid "taxes are theft" argument again?

Old 01-15-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Frankly, I give a damn if you will not earn enough to pay for insurance or even cancer treatment because I am NOT your slave nor am I your keeper. You aren't my wife and you aren't my child, so by what RIGHT do you demand to steal from me in order to pay for that which you could earn on your own?

Did GOD give you the right to STEAL from me? Does proclaiming a right to a home entitle you to STEAL from the labors of others in order to pay for that home as long as you get the scumbags in government to agree and pass some law?

Does passing a law permitting you to STEAL from others just because you don't think it's FAIR that others have more than you make that act of THEFT moral?

By what right???
You're talking absurdities^

Old 01-15-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep, exactly. And I'm sick to death of those who gleefully advocate for slavery.
Well, the majority (over half the population, including some conservatives) now want single payer; so I guess you better prepare your move to Africa.....

Old 01-15-2019, 11:13 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Back to the OP's question...

Rights are conferred by the government here in the USA but it is the people who decide what a right is by a democratic process. So, if a majority decide that healthcare is a right, then it becomes such a thing. If they decide it is not a right, then that is also the law of the land. I have my opinions on what should be a right, but I am fine with letting the democratic process we have to decide if it should be the law of the land. Isn't that how it should be?

I don't believe in "natural rights" or god-given rights. It is too easy to make those up and there is no authority around, despite what some people claim, that can answer questions about those "rights". I believe all rights come from the people, through a democratic process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies