Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 AM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Well...if the country was 80% men and it was voted upon and agreed to that women didn’t have the right to refuse sex, it would still be rape, and it would be enforced by law enforcers with guns if the women resisted.

Just pointing out that the majority voting and agreeing to something doesn’t necessarily make it right.
Spread your legs for the common good!

Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The source of the data is Syracuse University, a reputable source. You just don't like what the data tells us all about how very much less capable Democrats, or even Independents, are to support themselves than are Republicans.

To focus in on just one data point, Food Stamps, Pew Research's data closely matches Syracuse University's data.

How Many Americans Have Ever Received Food Stamps?

Republicans: 10%
Democrats: 22%
Independents: 17%

The Politics and Demographics of Food Stamps

That's a pretty stark difference.
It's not that I don't like what you SUGGEST the data is telling YOU. It's that I don't ascribe to data being used to selectively target a particular demographic to suit an obvious prejudicial agenda.

The one site goes into a "sever identification" page before moving on a page called "Tino" ...not trusting that for one second and I don't shive a git if it's Syracuse U page or not. Like Universities aren't subject to funding bias dictates? Gimme a break!

Do they anywhere within either of the "polls" explain how they went about identifying party affiliation?

Does the data make any attempt to parse out those living with supportive family members? does the data identify single students versus unemployed? There are any number of variables that could serve to skew such a surface and simple survey.

How many food stamp recipients are members of the military? They all bad managers?

C'mon man; suggesting democrats or republicans are inferior or superior due to simplistic stuff like this is, or should be beneath anyone purporting to be "informed".

Old 01-14-2019, 10:41 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Well...if the country was 80% men and it was voted upon and agreed to that women didn’t have the right to refuse sex, it would still be rape, and it would be enforced by law enforcers with guns if the women resisted.

Just pointing out that the majority voting and agreeing to something doesn’t necessarily make it right.
And it still doesn't equate to it happening at the point of a gun either. "it would be enforced by law enforcers with guns if the women resisted." - Over emotive fear expressed yet again.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Those who don't contribute to society's expenses exhibit the ultimate expression of selfishness. Even Europeans of ALL income levels pay a 20% to 25% VAT tax. Frankly, I think we should tax like European countries do: regressively. More info:

How Other Developed Countries Tax and Spend

Pay close attention to what that scatter plot chart is telling us. There IS a distinct pattern.
I'm not European.
I am the soil, the water and the sky. I am the living man.

Apparently, you are unaware of the republican form of government, instituted by the Declaration of Independence, wherein the American people are "sovereigns without subjects," and the president is merely the highest ranking public SERVANT, one step down in status from the lowest American sovereign.

But it is to be expected, since most Americans are victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry, and are loathe to read their own laws and history.

REPUBLICAN FORM
GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people ... directly...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695

". . . at the Revolution, the sovereignty devolved on the people, and they are truly the sovereigns of the country, but they are sovereigns without subjects, and have none to govern but themselves. . ."
- - - Justice John Jay, Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 U.S. 2 Dall. 419 419 (1793)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremec...CR_0002_0419_Z
"What I do say is that no man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent. I say this is the leading principle, the sheet-anchor of American republicanism. Our Declaration of Independence says: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."
- - - Abraham Lincoln, Speech at Peoria, Illinois (1854)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Abraham_lincoln

As Lincoln reminds us, under the republican form, promised by the USCON, described by the Declaration of Independence, NO MAN (nor American government) is good enough to govern you without your consent. Without your consent, all that government is authorized to do is secure endowed (sacred) rights (prosecute trespass; adjudicate disputes; defend against enemies, foreign or domestic).
" Personal liberty, or the Right to enjoyment of life and liberty, is one of the fundamental or natural Rights, which has been protected by its inclusion as a guarantee in the various constitutions, which is not derived from, or dependent on, the U.S. Constitution, which may not be submitted to a vote and may not depend on the outcome of an election. It is one of the most sacred and valuable Rights, as sacred as the Right to private property...and is regarded as inalienable."
- - - 16 Corpus Juris Secundum, Constitutional Law, Sect.202, p.987.
In this excerpt we see that sacred rights encompass natural rights, personal liberty, and the right to private property (i.e., absolutely owned by an individual).
NATURAL RIGHTS - ... are the rights of life, liberty, privacy, and good reputation.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Ed., p. 1324
Short review of the foundation of American law - - -" We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."
--- Declaration of Independence, 1776

Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
It's not that I don't like what you SUGGEST the data is telling YOU. It's that I don't ascribe to data being used to selectively target a particular demographic to suit an obvious prejudicial agenda.
That's just you putting your spin on it. The data tells us the truth: Democrats are FAR less capable of supporting themselves than are Republicans. We should find out WHY that is.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:47 AM

6,844 posts, read 2,848,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
I might need surgery on my hand due to a dog bite I got last week, I have a $7500 deductible. (It was $1800 before the "Affordable" Care Act)

Care to show how compassionate you are and donate to paying my deductible?

Did you bite the dog back? That really freaks them out since it's not typical human behavior, and more often than not they won't do it again.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:49 AM

19,649 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
You saw the stats. There are very few of them compared to Democrats. Again, a study should be conducted to find out why Democrats are so much less capable than Republicans of supporting themselves.
I don't believe those stats are accurate, and also they did not include use of ACA subsidies. With the squeeze on the working class, particularly in rural areas, there is more going on here than the stereotypical welfare class popping out kids in the projects.

Are you denying the rural populations in Trump country are still having problems? There is still drugs and unemployment and low wages.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:55 AM

89,059 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm not European.
I am the soil, the water and the sky. I am the living man.

Apparently, you are unaware of the republican form of government, instituted by the Declaration of Independence, wherein the American people are "sovereigns without subjects," and the president is merely the highest ranking public SERVANT, one step down in status from the lowest American sovereign.

But it is to be expected, since most Americans are victims of the world's greatest propaganda ministry, and are loathe to read their own laws and history.

REPUBLICAN FORM
GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people ... directly...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695

". . . at the Revolution, the sovereignty devolved on the people, and they are truly the sovereigns of the country, but they are sovereigns without subjects, and have none to govern but themselves. . ."
- - - Justice John Jay, Chisholm v. Georgia, 2 U.S. 2 Dall. 419 419 (1793)
https://www.law.cornell.edu/supremec...CR_0002_0419_Z
"What I do say is that no man is good enough to govern another man without that other's consent. I say this is the leading principle, the sheet-anchor of American republicanism. Our Declaration of Independence says: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain inalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed."
- - - Abraham Lincoln, Speech at Peoria, Illinois (1854)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Abraham_lincoln

As Lincoln reminds us, under the republican form, promised by the USCON, described by the Declaration of Independence, NO MAN (nor American government) is good enough to govern you without your consent. Without your consent, all that government is authorized to do is secure endowed (sacred) rights (prosecute trespass; adjudicate disputes; defend against enemies, foreign or domestic).
" Personal liberty, or the Right to enjoyment of life and liberty, is one of the fundamental or natural Rights, which has been protected by its inclusion as a guarantee in the various constitutions, which is not derived from, or dependent on, the U.S. Constitution, which may not be submitted to a vote and may not depend on the outcome of an election. It is one of the most sacred and valuable Rights, as sacred as the Right to private property...and is regarded as inalienable."
- - - 16 Corpus Juris Secundum, Constitutional Law, Sect.202, p.987.
In this excerpt we see that sacred rights encompass natural rights, personal liberty, and the right to private property (i.e., absolutely owned by an individual).
NATURAL RIGHTS - ... are the rights of life, liberty, privacy, and good reputation.
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Ed., p. 1324
Short review of the foundation of American law - - -" We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. --That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."
--- Declaration of Independence, 1776
I understand your perspective, and even agree with it. I'm only presenting what actually works the best if we are to be taxed to provide social welfare benefits: European-style regressive taxation.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:56 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
^^^^^ Translation: Bent Bow has me backed into a corner argument wise and I don't like it .
Wrong, his scenario is nonsense

Old 01-14-2019, 10:58 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,042,475 times
I vote for more untreated communicable diseases!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies