Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 09:47 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've posted this before, but the low-income and therefore on means-tested public assistance programs and/or ACA subsidies are overwhelmingly Democrats, regardless of in which state they live.

Percent of Public Assistance Program Recipients Who Identify as:

Democrat:

Public Housing: 81%
Medicaid: 74%
Food Stamps: 67%
Welfare or public assistance: 63%

Republican:

Public Housing: 12%
Medicaid: 16%
Food Stamps: 20%
Welfare or public assistance: 22%

Data source: Syracuse University's Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs

Are Welfare Recipients Mostly Republican? Or Democrat?

A study should be conducted to find out why Democrats are so much less capable than Republicans of supporting themselves.
I think more relevance comes from sites that publish "verifiable" information than some site that cannot begin to determine accurately the voting or party affiliation of those receiving benefits ...seeing as how it's probably illegal to even ask that question of a recipient.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...es/1694273002/

Old 01-14-2019, 09:53 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So according to you (your definition), if you don't have a gun, you don't have rights.....
It is going to take a gun to take my rights.
What protects your right to say NO? An idle, threat you may crap your pants, is going to enforce your word, NO?

I gotta see this.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:56 AM

If I put a gun to your head and demand you provide my right, it must mean you are not armed too.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:57 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,170,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What is your problem with individuals cooperating voluntarily? Forced collectivization is not civilized.
All civilizations include some degree of compulsory obligations that all citizens must follow, enforced by penalties. You must, for example: register for Selective Service; pay taxes; serve on jury duty. If you have a child then providing education, either public, private or homeschool is mandatory. Society can't function without rules and standards of behavior. Basic adult maturity 101.

Personally, I think some of the people who resist all government or social rules never grew up. It stems back to their childhoods: "Johnny, clean up your room!" "No Mom and you can't make me!" It's a permanent resentment of being told what to do.

Individualism is the ultimate expression of selfishness. They don't care about the common good. If society crumbles around them, they don't care, it's all about them.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:59 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
So according to you (your definition), if you don't have a gun, you don't have rights.....

Uh huh...

Thought you maybe had an interesting thread but see now that thought was an allusion.
I get what BentBow is saying, but I wouldn’t describe rights that way. Rights are universal and apply to every human to ever exist. They’re not guarantees of anything...they simply describe things that all humans have the right to do (or maybe more accurately, what others would be wrong to stop you from doing).

Legal rights are a little different, where the government decides what rights you have or don’t have, which is very dangerous since they can exclude certain people, or decide to suspend everyone’s rights, or just decide you have none. They’re basically playing God.

The whole concept of natural rights emerged frim people saying “Hey, we all have equal value as humans simply by existing, not up to the ruler to decide that.”

Old 01-14-2019, 10:02 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
I think more relevance comes from sites that publish "verifiable" information than some site that cannot begin to determine accurately the voting or party affiliation of those receiving benefits ...seeing as how it's probably illegal to even ask that question of a recipient.
The source of the data is Syracuse University, a reputable source. You just don't like what the data tells us all about how very much less capable Democrats, or even Independents, are to support themselves than are Republicans.

To focus in on just one data point, Food Stamps, Pew Research's data closely matches Syracuse University's data.

How Many Americans Have Ever Received Food Stamps?

Republicans: 10%
Democrats: 22%
Independents: 17%

The Politics and Demographics of Food Stamps

That's a pretty stark difference.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
If I put a gun to your head and demand you provide my right, it must mean you are not armed too.
What is it with you and your freak'n guns? Every post of yours suggests anyone without a gun is less free or somehow subservient to others.

Then you go on to suggest that voted upon and agreed to methods of taxation are nothing more than hold-ups at the point of a gun.

Dear god, all that fear based paranoia and nowhere to project it but some public forum must frustrate the living daylights out of the "chicken little" types.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post

A study should be conducted to find out why Democrats are so much less capable than Republicans of supporting themselves.
The major factor is, they eliminated Insane Asylums and now those people walk the streets freely with access to all their rights and have a vote that counts. The nutz are running the asylum, now.
In the Asylum they had:
Free housing
Free healthcare
Free food & water
Free education
Free full sexualization, forced and consensual at all ages
and only the police have guns.

They love that.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:08 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
All civilizations include some degree of compulsory obligations that all citizens must follow, enforced by penalties. You must, for example: register for Selective Service; pay taxes; serve on jury duty. If you have a child then providing education, either public, private or homeschool is mandatory. Society can't function without rules and standards of behavior. Basic adult maturity 101.

Personally, I think some of the people who resist all government or social rules never grew up. It stems back to their childhoods: "Johnny, clean up your room!" "No Mom and you can't make me!" It's a permanent resentment of being told what to do.

Individualism is the ultimate expression of selfishness. They don't care about the common good. If society crumbles around them, they don't care, it's all about them.
Those who don't contribute to society's expenses exhibit the ultimate expression of selfishness. Even Europeans of ALL income levels pay a 20% to 25% VAT tax. Frankly, I think we should tax like European countries do: regressively. More info:

How Other Developed Countries Tax and Spend

Pay close attention to what that scatter plot chart is telling us. There IS a distinct pattern.

Old 01-14-2019, 10:12 AM

5,302 posts, read 2,357,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
What is it with you and your freak'n guns? Every post of yours suggests anyone without a gun is less free or somehow subservient to others.

Then you go on to suggest that voted upon and agreed to methods of taxation are nothing more than hold-ups at the point of a gun.

Dear god, all that fear based paranoia and nowhere to project it but some public forum must frustrate the living daylights out of the "chicken little" types.
Well...if the country was 80% men and it was voted upon and agreed to that women didn’t have the right to refuse sex, it would still be rape, and it would be enforced by law enforcers with guns if the women resisted.

Just pointing out that the majority voting and agreeing to something doesn’t necessarily make it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies