Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2019, 08:57 AM

19,652 posts, read 12,239,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'm not a Trump supporter, and my income is too high to get a subsidy, but why do you believe the bolded claim? Because some pundit told you to think that? If you look at the NYT exit poll for the 2016 election, Trump won all of the income groups above 50k per year, and Hillary won both groups below 50k.
Trump supporters, especially in those poorer red states, do not get Medicaid or ACA subsidies?

Old 01-14-2019, 08:59 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Human rights, include everything you can do, without my help. Everything.
You don't need me to speak, protection, warmth, travel, locomotion, forage for food &water, or to take a crap, for you.

Ignorant people confuse the language "promote" to be defined as "provide", when talking governments.

As noted "rights" are up to interpretation. Children, just born actually do need "protection" and they do need "warmth" and they cannot provide these things for themselves as newborns. Hardly none of those things can be provided naturally when we are just born. We cannot speak upon birth.

So in many ways your question is simplistic in nature. You should have defined what you consider a "right" from the get go. Because all of us have to be "provided" something by others and these actually do include: clean air, water, food, warmth, education, etc.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:08 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,654,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
As noted "rights" are up to interpretation.
No they are not. They are defined by the barrel of a gun, and if you have the power to say and defend, "Don't Tread On Me"
Without power, you have no right to say NO.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:13 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
No they are not. They are defined by the barrel of a gun, and if you have the power to say and defend, "Don't Tread On Me"
Without power, you have no right to say NO.

So according to you (your definition), if you don't have a gun, you don't have rights.....

Uh huh...

Thought you maybe had an interesting thread but see now that thought was an allusion.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigermomma View Post
I am a U.S. Navy veteran of 8+ years and I fully support my VA system as they have only been
good to me and I show my gratitude by volunteering anytime I go by pushing other veterans
around in their wheelchairs. I learned that by hanging out by the wheelchair clinic that there
are a lot of veterans who do not have electric mobility and they never turn down the help.

I raised a son on my own after his father and I parted on favorable terms. I raised my son in a
rural area far away from the Southern California I left his father in. I stood by all of his teachers
from preschool onward and befriended them whenever I could. I myself got quite the education
and learned what public school teachers face. My son loved school and thrived. However, one
day a very frustrated middle school substitute called me to complain about my son and others
in class not cooperating. I told her that she was in charge of her class and therefore she had
my permission to deal with my son as she felt she should as a teacher. She was shocked and
laughed and thanked me for my consideration, told me that I was the only parent who ever said
so. My son was taking junior college classes in addition to his high school courses. My son
loved most of his teachers, but one of the Jr. college teachers really annoyed him. I explained
to my son that teachers deserve the same respect as any boss and try teaching a class before
complaining. Guess what? My son ended up receiving a coveted full ride scholarship that funds
itself from the graduates honor system of giving back when they are employed. My son was
chosen to represent his college, UT Austin at a European summit. My son was also chosen
by a respected female professor to be her class liaison and assistant. My son graduated with
honors and now works for a non profit teaching senior citizens how to use technology, cell
phones and tablets. He is self supporting and all of 23 yrs. old. I always had my doors open
to his friends growing up. My refrigerator and my couch too. You would not believe how
many two parent household families were more than happy to pawn their kids off on me for
lengths of days at a time, and my son would never be welcome to do so there but that was
not my point.

I am the person my disabled neighbors call for help with all sorts of tasks. I have not had a
boss since 2008, I have been self employed and self supporting all these years later and I
love it. I am a homeowner and I am just plain grateful.

You are the living, tangible embodiment of what the rest of the world would interpret to be the "American Dream". Nothing handed to you but; also nothing denied by way of tools you could use, such as education.

Along the way, you were not above lending a hand to others while striving steadfastly towards your own goals.

You worked for it all and feel nothing but gratitude for the opportunities offered to effect an outcome of your choice.

Congratulations to you from a foreign septuagenarian who believes you actually still represent the majority of your compatriots. Well done.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:25 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Trump supporters, especially in those poorer red states, do not get Medicaid or ACA subsidies?
I've posted this before, but the low-income and therefore on means-tested public assistance programs and/or ACA subsidies are overwhelmingly Democrats, regardless of in which state they live.

Percent of Public Assistance Program Recipients Who Identify as:

Democrat:

Public Housing: 81%
Medicaid: 74%
Food Stamps: 67%
Welfare or public assistance: 63%

Republican:

Public Housing: 12%
Medicaid: 16%
Food Stamps: 20%
Welfare or public assistance: 22%

Data source: Syracuse University's Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs

Are Welfare Recipients Mostly Republican? Or Democrat?

A study should be conducted to find out why Democrats are so much less capable than Republicans of supporting themselves.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:25 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,623,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Do you volunteer or financially support local clinics for the poor? Give them every penny you can, even at the expense of your own family? If not, you're a hypocrite.

Another bleeding heart heard from. You, too, are free to write as many checks as you can to support your beliefs. Stop expecting me to support *your* idea of good causes.
Quote:
I am a U.S. Navy veteran of 8+ years and I fully support my VA system as they have only been
good to me and I show my gratitude by volunteering anytime I go by pushing other veterans
around in their wheelchairs. I learned that by hanging out by the wheelchair clinic that there
are a lot of veterans who do not have electric mobility and they never turn down the help.

I raised a son on my own after his father and I parted on favorable terms. I raised my son in a
rural area far away from the Southern California I left his father in. I stood by all of his teachers
from preschool onward and befriended them whenever I could. I myself got quite the education
and learned what public school teachers face. My son loved school and thrived. However, one
day a very frustrated middle school substitute called me to complain about my son and others
in class not cooperating. I told her that she was in charge of her class and therefore she had
my permission to deal with my son as she felt she should as a teacher. She was shocked and
laughed and thanked me for my consideration, told me that I was the only parent who ever said
so. My son was taking junior college classes in addition to his high school courses. My son
loved most of his teachers, but one of the Jr. college teachers really annoyed him. I explained
to my son that teachers deserve the same respect as any boss and try teaching a class before
complaining. Guess what? My son ended up receiving a coveted full ride scholarship that funds
itself from the graduates honor system of giving back when they are employed. My son was
chosen to represent his college, UT Austin at a European summit. My son was also chosen
by a respected female professor to be her class liaison and assistant. My son graduated with
honors and now works for a non profit teaching senior citizens how to use technology, cell
phones and tablets. He is self supporting and all of 23 yrs. old. I always had my doors open
to his friends growing up. My refrigerator and my couch too. You would not believe how
many two parent household families were more than happy to pawn their kids off on me for
lengths of days at a time, and my son would never be welcome to do so there but that was
not my point.

I am the person my disabled neighbors call for help with all sorts of tasks. I have not had a
boss since 2008, I have been self employed and self supporting all these years later and I

Edit: My son was invited by one of his clients to join him in a meeting organized by a group
that seeks to forge understanding and positive exchange of ideas between Republicans and
Democrats, no arguing allowed. The client told my son that they needed him on the panel
because he seemed to have a good understanding of both sides. My son was honored to be
invited and he spent 8 hours of his Saturday doing so. My son's father is a Republican and
I am Independent but often vote Democrat.
Great job tigermomma for taking the high road and not resorting to insults like the post you responded to. More people like you are needed in our world.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:32 AM

5,662 posts, read 5,091,130 times
Quote:

not my point.

Edit: My son was invited by one of his clients to join him in a meeting organized by a group
that seeks to forge understanding and positive exchange of ideas between Republicans and
Democrats, no arguing allowed. The client told my son that they needed him on the panel
because he seemed to have a good understanding of both sides. My son was honored to be
invited and he spent 8 hours of his Saturday doing so. My son's father is a Republican and
I am Independent but often vote Democrat.
OK, so they'll drink a toast to you as they put a statue of you up in the local park. It still doesn't mean you get to spend my tax dollars on your good intentions such as health insurance for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
Great job tigermomma for taking the high road and not resorting to insults like the post you responded to. More people like you are needed in our world.
So you see "bleeding heart" as an insult? I stated it as a fact. How many checks have *you* written? Or is it better to use my tax dollars in a futile effort to forestall the inevitable?

Old 01-14-2019, 09:41 AM

19,652 posts, read 12,239,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I've posted this before, but the low-income and therefore on means-tested public assistance programs and/or ACA subsidies are overwhelmingly Democrats, regardless of in which state they live.

Percent of Public Assistance Program Recipients Who Identify as:

Democrat:

Public Housing: 81%
Medicaid: 74%
Food Stamps: 67%
Welfare or public assistance: 63%

Republican:

Public Housing: 12%
Medicaid: 16%
Food Stamps: 20%
Welfare or public assistance: 22%

Data source: Syracuse University's Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs

Are Welfare Recipients Mostly Republican? Or Democrat?

A study should be conducted to find out why Democrats are so much less capable than Republicans of supporting themselves.
Never said they were mostly republicans. But of those who are, who are working class and poor, they tend to depend on ACA subsidies or government to access health insurance. They were promised a better health plan by Trump. He has offered nothing.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:44 AM

89,061 posts, read 44,866,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Never said they were mostly republicans. But of those who are, who are working class and poor, they tend to depend on ACA subsidies or government to access health insurance. They were promised a better health plan by Trump. He has offered nothing.
You saw the stats. There are very few of them compared to Democrats. Again, a study should be conducted to find out why Democrats are so much less capable than Republicans of supporting themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies