Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, are you ok with same-sex marriage?
Yes 66 54.10%
No 29 23.77%
I don’t care 30 24.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 08:53 AM

5,069 posts, read 2,281,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
That's not how it works.
Had to spread rep. I was going to say exactly the same.

To the poster who claimed that the Dems are the ones who fought for rights while Repubs stood by, you're as wrong as the guy who thinks you choose to be gay. I can give you names of any number of R's who stood on street corners and solicited donations to the ACLU, specifically in support of same sex marriage. I can tell you who marched with our friends in parades, and who lobbied their legislators. Get out of here with that partisan nonsense.

I've posted before that my Democrat husband was quite against the issue, and is slowly coming around. This has as more to do with religious views and personal views as it does political alignment. Yes, there's some combination, since a lot of evangelicals are going to also be Republicans, but it's not that simple, nor that directly aligned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL
Couldn’t care less.

The government should not be in the business of marriage. Adults should have the freedom to marry whomever and however they want.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:00 AM

3,339 posts, read 2,142,463 times
I've just always taken the following view: Since marriage (a contract) confers a plethora of legal rights upon the parties involved in the United States, it has never seemed reasonable to me for the government to prevent two consenting adults of sound mind from being legally wed. That being said, I don't believe church officials ought to be compelled by force to ratify any marriage for the same equal protection reasons I don't believe the government should prevent a marriage between two consenting adults from occurring.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:07 AM

482 posts, read 242,617 times
I've always felt that marriage should hold no legal ground. If one wants to be legally bound to another human being it should be done with a legal contract..

With that said, I don't care if that legal contract is between a guy and his toaster.
It's none of my business.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL

no i am not ok with gay marriage, but since it is the law of the land now i just dont care about the issue anymore.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:29 AM
exm

3,723 posts, read 1,783,344 times
As a conservative, I'm okay with gay marriage or any other of these social issues. What I do have a problem with is all the social changes being forces on us, and if you disagree you're immediately labeled a <name your word here>. Another problem I have a MAJOR problem with is the appeasement to the transsexual community. They are such a small part of the population, and now my kids in school have to deal with 'binary' bathrooms, mixed locker rooms, etc? THAT is a problem for me. Gay marriage is absolutely not.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:34 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Yes, and I don't care. I voted for it when it came up in Washington because who you marry makes no difference to me. I don't agree with forcing churches or clergy to perform marriages if they don't want to do it or host it, I don't agree with forcing a baker to bake a cake for you.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:37 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,373,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
No one is forcibly subjected to gay pride parades, and today's pride parades have come along way in the past several years. Corporations, Veterans, Law Enforcement, Politicians and Pro Sports are all represented in big city pride parades.
Except for the people who live, work, commute or shop along the routes where the parades are held. It's not like you hold the parades in the middle of the Mojave where no one will see it, you have to do it in the center of town where it will be sure to disrupt as many people as possible.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:41 AM

10,480 posts, read 4,048,994 times
Quote:
I didn't vote for Trump from a conservative point of view, but more or less, a libertarian point of view. Long story short, I am tired paying high taxes and insurance rates because a group of democrats promise free stuff to losers for votes. It used to be that the democrats fought for equal rights, against discrimination, and for the hard working man and woman, but they have since then forgotten their base, and instead are against the hard working man and woman in favor of the freeloaders. And it has to stop because this mentality cannot go on. The rich have the resources and loopholes to move their operations and money away from the clutches of the government, but the Middle Class do not have that luxury, and it is why they are now shrinking.

I don't care one way or another about someone's sexuality, but interesting to note, I do have a problem with our government being involved with marriage period. I am also curious if in the future, you have two best friends who have become roomates over a period of time might be slapped with a common law marriage by the government, and then that will put them in a different tax bracket.

Old 01-20-2019, 09:59 AM

10,077 posts, read 14,458,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the one issue I'm moderate on. In my personal life I'm against gay marriage and would not allow my children to become gay. Homosexuality goes against my religion. Just like how Christianity is the only religion allowed in my home, but I won't discriminate against or mistreat others who are non Christian or gay.
Not to derail the point of this thread/topic but to echo a few others on this forum, that is not how it works.

You don't choose one day out of the blue to "become gay." Just like a person does not choose one day out of the blue to "become straight."

A person is born with whatever specific attractions they are born with.

So, unfortunately stating that you are "not allowing your children to become gay" is a misinformed and uneducated statement to make.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies