Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, are you ok with same-sex marriage?
Yes 66 54.10%
No 29 23.77%
I don’t care 30 24.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2019, 08:05 AM

7,713 posts, read 4,750,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL
When the equality movement began and the goal was equal rights under the law with 'Civil Unions', I was an advocate & felt passionately about it. Absolutely not fair that gay couples weren't getting the same tax breaks, the ability to see a loved one in the hospital, etc.

Once that was mostly achieved and the movement decided they wanted the word 'Marriage', rather than 'Civil Union', you lost me. Just as I'm not gay, but believe in defending the rights of gay, I'm also not religious, but believe in defending the rights of the religious. When they explained that the word 'Marriage' is a sacred biblical rite to them, like 'Baptism', I thought "The reasonable thing to do would be to compromise & let them have their word.".

What the activist gay leaders want now is not equal rights under the law, but equal rights under the Bible. They're trying to force people to accept their unions are completely equal. In many cases they went from being the victims, to the bullies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 11:28 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I'm a Trump voter who doesn't have a strong opinion on gay marriage. However the decline of hetrosexual marriage makes me very sad. The fact that over half of children are born out of wedlock is terrible. If I could change just one thing I would cut all welfare and food stamps to unwed mothers. This is the one and only way hetrosexual marriage will make a comeback.
And let the kids starve if the man refused to marry?

Old 01-21-2019, 11:31 AM

2,662 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
When the equality movement began and the goal was equal rights under the law with 'Civil Unions', I was an advocate & felt passionately about it. Absolutely not fair that gay couples weren't getting the same tax breaks, the ability to see a loved one in the hospital, etc.

Once that was mostly achieved and the movement decided they wanted the word 'Marriage', rather than 'Civil Union', you lost me. Just as I'm not gay, but believe in defending the rights of gay, I'm also not religious, but believe in defending the rights of the religious. When they explained that the word 'Marriage' is a sacred biblical rite to them, like 'Baptism', I thought "The reasonable thing to do would be to compromise & let them have their word.".

What the activist gay leaders want now is not equal rights under the law, but equal rights under the Bible. They're trying to force people to accept their unions are completely equal. In many cases they went from being the victims, to the bullies.
Nobody is advocating a law forcing churches to sanction gay marriage. Forcing the government to do so impinges on noones religious liberty.

Old 01-21-2019, 11:41 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:

Because they ARE equal. Do you view a heterosexual married couple who got married at city hall as not equal?

Old 01-21-2019, 01:15 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:

When were "civil unions" mostly achieved that would of given same sex couples the same rights and benefits as married couples?

Old 01-21-2019, 01:18 PM

7,235 posts, read 7,041,600 times
Quote:

I recently went to the wedding of a same sex couple. In a church. Their religion supports same sex marriage. They are legally married.

The majority of weddings I've attended have not been in a church because the couples were not religious. They are still married, despite not being Baptist, or Jewish, or Catholic, or Muslim, or any other religion.

Old 01-21-2019, 01:20 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
OP — are you surprised by the vast majority of Trump supporters who are fine or don’t care regarding gay marriage?

If you are surprised then I hope you can see how the liberal MSM, Hollywood, academia, and Silicon Valley, have indoctrinated you with fake news. Sure there are some conservatives against gay marriage which Dems and their media showcase with glee, but it’s nothing like the Dems want you to believe. Remember these same Dems have also tried to indoctrinate you as perceiving Trump supporters as deplorable, irredeemable, bible-and-gun clutching, toothless ignorants and Russian sycophants whom they can smell in Walmart.....

The divide on same sex marriage was more generational then ideological. At this point in time according latest surveys about two out of every three Americans support it, and that support will continue to grow.

Old 01-21-2019, 02:02 PM

463 posts, read 189,478 times
No, partially because God says 'same-sex marriage- isn't even a real thing, partially because it's active, unrepentant sin

Old 01-21-2019, 02:21 PM

36,539 posts, read 30,879,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCHouseHunter View Post
No, partially because God says 'same-sex marriage- isn't even a real thing, partially because it's active, unrepentant sin
Where did God say that?

Old 01-21-2019, 02:28 PM

37,982 posts, read 22,163,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL

I'm a Constitutional conservative, and always believe that freedom is key. If states want to support gay marriage, that was always their business. My state of WI, was well on it's way of codifying gay marriage in our state's constitution, which was fine with me. However, the federal courts forced it on us all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies