Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, are you ok with same-sex marriage?
Yes 66 54.10%
No 29 23.77%
I don’t care 30 24.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 10:07 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,069,811 times

Advertisements

what is the difference between yes and I don't care?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 10:38 AM

18,462 posts, read 7,094,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Not to derail the point of this thread/topic but to echo a few others on this forum, that is not how it works.

You don't choose one day out of the blue to "become gay." Just like a person does not choose one day out of the blue to "become straight."

A person is born with whatever specific attractions they are born with.

So, unfortunately stating that you are "not allowing your children to become gay" is a misinformed and uneducated statement to make.

Actually, I think it can happen both ways.

Why?

Because I've known people in my life who were obviously born gay and people who chose to eschew heterosexuality for same sex relationships.

Now, you can probably hypothesize that those who "become gay" were really bisexual all along but never chose to act on it previously.

And you might be right to a certain extent.....

But if the people I've known personally were closet bisexuals, they did an incredibly fantastic job of hiding it.

I think that today's increasing acceptance of alternative lifestyles has made some people more open to "experimenting" than they used to be.

Almost like the way that the "white guilt" phenomenon has actually produced white people pretending to be another race......

It's become socially trendy to be gay

Old 01-20-2019, 11:30 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Just the idea that a lot of the gay community wants or needs a parade to show their pride is what confuses and bothers a lot of folks. The idea of taking great pride and celebrating someone’s sexual orientation is confusing at best, if it’s not a choice then what is there to be proud of?
I would imagine pride parades started out as a protest or a demonstration back when as a group the LGBT community were marginalized. I believe today it is more of a big block party, or a day for the community and its supporters to have fun.

As an ally from the sports community, I have marched in several parades over the past few years. NYC, DC and even Calgary. I found it to be a blast, and look forward to future parades to do it all over again. Yea you see some things that are a little over the top but all in all its a bunch of participants and spectators having fun.

Not much different then a St Patrick's Day Parade, or other ethnic parades as well.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:33 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,301,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Except for the people who live, work, commute or shop along the routes where the parades are held. It's not like you hold the parades in the middle of the Mojave where no one will see it, you have to do it in the center of town where it will be sure to disrupt as many people as possible.
True, but that happens during any kind of parade.

Old 01-20-2019, 11:36 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,565,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haakon View Post
Except for the people who live, work, commute or shop along the routes where the parades are held. It's not like you hold the parades in the middle of the Mojave where no one will see it, you have to do it in the center of town where it will be sure to disrupt as many people as possible.
And? That happens for literally every single parade or run that happens in a city. Try driving thru downtown in my city on a given Saturday afternoon. It's a nightmare trying to get from one end to the other, and that's on a day where there is no event going on. A parade or run? Forget it, might as well stay home.

Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 PM

720 posts, read 501,079 times
I believe in civil unions for gay couples but not marriage. I know that sounds like I'm advocating for less rights for gays, but there's a reason for it. The only reason we have any legal benefits tied to marriage is because of heterosexual relationships and the possibility of children. I know that it's possible for gay couples to obtain kids through various means, but a relationship between two men or two women will never manifest a child.

Beyond that, a lot of people don't realize that legal marital benefits are more for the sake of women than men. Historically, women were not able to work and earn to the same extent as men (not only because of oppression, but because women have babies). The government created a lot of programs to assist women and children who could not fend for themselves in the event their husbands up and left, died, got sent off to war and didn't make it back, got sick or injured and could no longer work, etc. That's why the government tied certain benefits to marital status -- to assist women and children.

That's why I say I believe in civil unions. Regardless how people feel about homosexuality, gay couples exist. They live together, work, pay taxes, in many cases they're raising kids, etc. So they should have a legal status conferred on their relationships that takes the guesswork out of many common law issues that arise in people's lives (i.e. next of kin, spousal privilege, etc). But just calling it marriage acts as though there's no rational purpose for why virtually every civilization has defined marriage as a man and woman except bigotry and hatred. I don't think that's correct at all.

JMHO.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:01 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
Irrelevant thread.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,643,000 times
I am fine with Gay Marriage.

Was Quite Disappointed when Obama & Hillary said they were against it.

Old 01-20-2019, 01:06 PM

17,590 posts, read 13,367,588 times
I've been to two SSMs, no issues here

Old 01-20-2019, 01:11 PM

12,265 posts, read 6,475,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
I voted for the don"t care choice, even though I realize that if the whole population of the earth subscribed to the practice the human race would go extinct. But what ever floats you boat is ok.
Extinction? That`s really not such a bad idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies