Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump supporters, are you ok with same-sex marriage?
Yes 66 54.10%
No 29 23.77%
I don’t care 30 24.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 04:36 AM

11,772 posts, read 5,785,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
Gotta give all the credit here to the liberals that actually fought for gay marriage. Nice to see conservatives jumping on the bandwagon now, but I find it ironic that they were so opposed 10-15 years ago.
Again - people make so many assumptions - I am not a conservative and I can bet that most of the people who voted for Trump aren't either. I've had gay friends since I was a child - I'm still a Democrat despite what lunatics they've become and I voted for Trump and will do so again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2019, 04:36 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,297,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigby06 View Post
I am Ok with a civil union, I think a formal marriage ceremony is between a man and woman.

But I also don't think that anyone should have less rights because of who they choose to love.

I don't think that marriage is something that should be decided at the Federal level, it should be at the State level.

So having said that I guess I would have to be OK with same-sex marriage.

The problem with that is there are both state and federal benefits that come along with marriage. So under your scenario, you could potentially have a gay couple living in a State were their marriage is not recognized by that State, while at the same time is recognized by the Feds. Cause for some confusion, which was happening between the time DOMA was struck down, and later marriage made legal in all 50 states.

Old 01-18-2019, 05:06 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Because of the reason government was and is involved in marriage in the first place.
???

And that would be...........???

Oh and a note to the OP.....

You don't need an "I don't care" option in the poll..

If you don't care, then by definition, you're ok with it.

Old 01-19-2019, 12:59 PM

1,225 posts, read 632,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the one issue I'm moderate on. In my personal life I'm against gay marriage and would not allow my children to become gay. Homosexuality goes against my religion. Just like how Christianity is the only religion allowed in my home, but I won't discriminate against or mistreat others who are non Christian or gay.

HOWEVER from a governmental standpoint I'm okay with it because a government marriage license is separate from a religiously valid marriage. I only care that the rights of Christians be protected. As long as Christians' religious rights are protected I"m okay with the government recognizing gay marriage I think that's a good compromise.
What would be the consequences if your children were gay?

Old 01-19-2019, 01:09 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,495,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL
Whatever makes you happy.
Not sure why you'd want to be married and miserable like everyone else though LOL

Old 01-19-2019, 01:19 PM

39,865 posts, read 26,492,827 times
Quote:
I’m gay as most of you know and I was curious about how Trump supporters felt about two women, or two men being married? We’re mostly the same as you straight folks, we do the same boring routine...shopping in the suburbs, going to boring chain restaurants, etc...LOL
I really don't care-live your life and let others live theirs. Most people, gay or straight, live their lives without openly...flaunting (for lack of a better term) their sexuality. I'd imagine that 98% of gay or straight people are this way.

Where many (including myself) have an issue are the freek-show "Gay Pride" parades. Guys prancing around with their wangs and butts out on a public street are not appropriate for either gays or straight fetishers. Do whatever you like in your own home, the rest of us don't want to see it-again, doesn't matter if you're gay or straight.

I don't see it as much different than carrying a gun. If you don't like guns-I'm not going to try to force you to carry one. Just don't try to stop me from doing so.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,255,661 times
Quote:
I voted for the don"t care choice, even though I realize that if the whole population of the earth subscribed to the practice the human race would go extinct. But what ever floats you boat is ok.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:46 PM

37,182 posts, read 19,183,039 times
I didn't vote for Trump or participate in the poll. I have been an outspoken supporter of Gay Rights in all forms since the Stonewall Riots in 1969. I had three close friends in high school who were gay. I still keep in touch with them.

Discrimination is never pretty, especially when it is due to race, gender, nationality, or sexual orientation.

Old 01-19-2019, 05:50 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
This is the one issue I'm moderate on. In my personal life I'm against gay marriage and would not allow my children to become gay. Homosexuality goes against my religion. Just like how Christianity is the only religion allowed in my home, but I won't discriminate against or mistreat others who are non Christian or gay.

HOWEVER from a governmental standpoint I'm okay with it because a government marriage license is separate from a religiously valid marriage. I only care that the rights of Christians be protected. As long as Christians' religious rights are protected I"m okay with the government recognizing gay marriage I think that's a good compromise.
LOL. You do realize that's not how it works, right?

Old 01-19-2019, 06:01 PM

2,359 posts, read 1,034,319 times
Quote:

1. Didn't know that, myself...but thanks for the information. Even though I didn't ask for it.

2. Don't care too much about gay marriage one way or the other, myself. I must add, however, that nobody has ever offered a satisfactory explanation regarding any anthropological basis same-sex marriage may have.

I guess that's because there has never been one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies