Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 12:15 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Winterfall, you're the only "anarchist" I know who votes.

He’s a big government anarchist.

People only give up private property rights at gunpoint.

Last edited by whogo; 01-22-2019 at 12:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 07:38 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Winterfall, you're the only "anarchist" I know who votes.

I haven’t voted yet.

In fact I didn’t vote in the previous election or the midterms.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:02 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Wasn’t it a bunch of Pastors in Birmingham that didn’t want King to come there and lead a march? Isn’t that what led to King writing “Letter from a Birmingham Jail?”

Pastors, and one rabbi...all white. Southern Protestant pastors were liberal in the south back then?

LMAO...I know exactly who hated Dr King.

This...

On the OP it is always funny to me how people try to re-write history.

Both liberals and conservatives didn't like King. Most of those who didn't like him were white - it was a racial thing, not a political thing. The white conservatives and liberals were "sick" of King and his/black people's demands and felt that he should be satisfied with what they wanted to "give." It is exactly what he wrote about in the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail." That paternalistic attitude that some whites had about black people (and still have to this day).

Many black people didn't like King either, but mostly because they didn't want their kids getting arrested or having any trouble at work based upon activism themselves (which did occur). They were willing to keep suffering.

But what desertdetroiter alluded to above is the truth - it was whites that hated King, not "liberals." It is laughable to me that this was posted. I'll note the same thing occurs today. Most of us black people aren't dumb enough to know that both conservatives and liberals often get "sick" of hearing about racial injustice, which is why it is always hilarious around here for me personally to see all these posts about black people doing what "liberals" want us to do. We've never done what liberals wanted us to do lol.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:06 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,359,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
I haven’t voted yet.

In fact I didn’t vote in the previous election or the midterms.
Then you have nothing to squawk about if you don't participate.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:08 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcQbzZMW2Vo

Old 01-22-2019, 10:24 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Liberals hated MLK
We ALL know who hated MLK.

The same ones who hate him today.

They've just altered their costumes a little.

Old 01-22-2019, 10:36 AM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
I see a lot of these post that point to democrat opposition in the early 60's to civil rights legislation. I always wonder who the heck is the audience for these post? I know it's not black folks and I'm sure the goal is not to increase Republican votes for civil rights legislation. Seems like a lot of wasted effort just to make one's self feel better about their personal stance on civil rights legislation, sort of a "I'm not the only one who still thinks backwards" kind of thing.

If someone knows of a reason for these post other than self-loathing or justification then please explain. I have never seen a black vote change by saying "Vote for me, I may be racist now but I was with you 40 years ago".

Old 01-22-2019, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
I see a lot of these post that point to democrat opposition in the early 60's to civil rights legislation. I always wonder who the heck is the audience for these post? I know it's not black folks and I'm sure the goal is not to increase Republican votes for civil rights legislation. Seems like a lot of wasted effort just to make one's self feel better about their personal stance on civil rights legislation, sort of a "I'm not the only one who still thinks backwards" kind of thing.

If someone knows of a reason for these post other than self-loathing or justification then please explain. I have never seen a black vote change by saying "Vote for me, I may be racist now but I was with you 40 years ago".
Republicans are awful.

I’m just sharing facts that after the I had a dream speech, King’s popularity plummeted amongst northern liberals. That is why his later legacy is not remembered.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
This...

On the OP it is always funny to me how people try to re-write history.

Both liberals and conservatives didn't like King. Most of those who didn't like him were white - it was a racial thing, not a political thing. The white conservatives and liberals were "sick" of King and his/black people's demands and felt that he should be satisfied with what they wanted to "give." It is exactly what he wrote about in the "Letter from a Birmingham Jail." That paternalistic attitude that some whites had about black people (and still have to this day).

Many black people didn't like King either, but mostly because they didn't want their kids getting arrested or having any trouble at work based upon activism themselves (which did occur). They were willing to keep suffering.

But what desertdetroiter alluded to above is the truth - it was whites that hated King, not "liberals." It is laughable to me that this was posted. I'll note the same thing occurs today. Most of us black people aren't dumb enough to know that both conservatives and liberals often get "sick" of hearing about racial injustice, which is why it is always hilarious around here for me personally to see all these posts about black people doing what "liberals" want us to do. We've never done what liberals wanted us to do lol.
Northern liberals liked him according to polls during the I had a Dream speech.

Afterwards when he was planning poor people’s marches and denouncing US imperialism, he lost that support. Those are the facts.

Old 01-22-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Then you have nothing to squawk about if you don't participate.
I’ll vote for Bernie if he runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies