Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 04:48 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,315 times

Advertisements

I used to see the confederate flag as a symbol of hate, but now... I just don't give a **** anymore. We're Americans, all of us, yankees, southern, whatever. What I find more disturbing is the very people that fought for civil rights turning a blind eye to hate towards fellow Americans, because they just so happen to be white.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:05 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
People are still flying Confederate flags, and there are those who don't like the Confederate flag. Just because people didn't experience those bad things personally, doesn't mean it isn't an issue.

and then i see other that want to start a fight over seeing a flag that not on their property or having anything to do with them, like a bull seeing red, but at the time the flag wasnt causing any harm, maybe they are the ones with the problem.

Old 04-02-2019, 07:11 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Let's make this clear... Nobody here today was born during the time of the Confederate flag... Their entire feelings are learned through indirect feelings and gut reaction to the flag... Other than what they learned historically, they really have no experience... They do not know the people who love the flag nor do they want to try to... One could say the same of the Nazi symbols... The Nazi symbols was appropriated from other cultures and it's a shame that it can't be separated of it's past... The separation of the past and it's symbols shouldn't be that hard... I doubt most people who are upset against the symbols even encounter the symbols in a negative way in their entire life....
As Frederick Douglas succinctly put it, "I shall never forget the difference between those who fought for liberty and those who fought for slavery.”

Why stubbornly insist on forgetting the difference?

Quote:
Whatever else I may forget,” the ex-slave and abolitionist Frederick Douglass said in 1894, “I shall never forget the difference between those who fought for liberty and those who fought for slavery.” Douglass (who is doing an amazing job and is being recognized more and more) deplored an emerging national consensus that the Civil War had been fought over vague philosophical disagreements about federalism and states’ rights, but not over the core issue of slavery. In this retelling, neither side was right or wrong, and both Confederate and Union soldiers were to be celebrated for their battlefield valor. ...
"If just removing statues and icons doesn’t force a change in outlook, venerating and fetishizing them, and refusing to be honest about their meaning, almost ensures that the country won’t fully confront its past.

Why There Are No Nazi Statues in Germany

What the South can learn from postwar Europe.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...germany-215510

Why are some of US still fetishizing the Confederacy?

Why are some of US still refusing to be honest about its meaning?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:33 PM

An employee at the 'shrine' where Jefferson Davis retreated in 1877 to write his memoir, The Rise and Fall of the Confederate Government reports by interview:

Quote:
Sometimes children ask about it, she said. “I want to tell them the honest truth, that slavery was good and bad.” While there were some “hateful slave owners,” she said, “it was good for the people that didn’t know how to take care of themselves, and they needed a job, and you had good slave owners like Jefferson Davis, who took care of his slaves and treated them like family. He loved them.”
What Frederick Douglas said about the Slaver States' 'peculiar institution' in 1850:

Quote:
That myth, a pillar of the Lost Cause, remains a core belief of neo-Confederates, despite undeniable historic proof of slavery’s brutality. In 1850, the great abolitionist Frederick Douglass, who had escaped slavery, said, “To talk of kindness entering into a relation in which one party is robbed of wife, of children, of his hard earnings, of home, of friends, of society, of knowledge, and of all that makes this life desirable is most absurd, wicked, and preposterous.”
Adding much insult to much injury, American tax payers are forced to provide funding for the preposterous mythologies:

The Costs of the Confederacy

In the last decade alone, American taxpayers have spent at least $40 million on Confederate monuments and groups that perpetuate racist ideology

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...hWoyGyZiPkt.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter

Old 04-02-2019, 08:24 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
"If just removing statues and icons doesn’t force a change in outlook, venerating and fetishizing them, and refusing to be honest about their meaning, almost ensures that the country won’t fully confront its past.

What the South can learn from postwar Europe.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...germany-215510

Why are some of US still fetishizing the Confederacy?

Why are some of US still refusing to be honest about its meaning?
Quote:
“George Orwell 1984 – Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered, and the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped, nothing exists except and endless present In which the Party is always right.”

Quote:
The Costs of the Confederacy

In the last decade alone, American taxpayers have spent at least $40 million on Confederate monuments and groups that perpetuate racist ideology

Read more: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/histo...hWoyGyZiPkt.99
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
Quote:
$40 million on Confederate monuments
Thank you. I don't have to look that up. The patterns to government, city, state and federal ... they don't let people do anything, that it doesn't always benefit them in some way, most of which involves, their budgets. They do have to make payroll.

Old 04-02-2019, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
“George Orwell 1984 – Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered, and the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped, nothing exists except and endless present In which the Party is always right.” ...
The Confederate States of America:

war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength

Old 04-02-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
“George Orwell 1984 – Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered, and the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped, nothing exists except and endless present In which the Party is always right.”

Thank you. I don't have to look that up. The patterns to government, city, state and federal ... they don't let people do anything, that it doesn't always benefit them in some way, most of which involves, their budgets. They do have to make payroll.
Quote:
The Confederate States of America:

war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength
The Union didn't change much of that did it ... http://www.city-data.com/forum/54804604-post986.html

Old 04-02-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:
The Union didn't change much of that did it ... http://www.city-data.com/forum/54804604-post986.html
Slaver States:

war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength

Old 04-02-2019, 09:46 PM

7,444 posts, read 7,021,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Several events over the last view years have put the Confederate flag in the national spotlight. It is a controversial symbol and for good reason. I grew up in Georgia and kept hearing the same thing "it represents southern heritage" or "it's about my southern pride". I ask my mother and her response was "I'm southern but it's not my pride". I'll save how I feel about the Confederate flag for later in the thread.

Living in the South, there is one segment of the population that never says that it represents "southern pride" or "southern heritage". That is the Black population. 55 percent of American's Black population lives in the South. Most Blacks regardless of what state they're born in have ancestors from the southern USA (see The Great Migration). By default, the majority of America's Black population are southerners or have southern heritage. However, a majority of Blacks do not claim the Confederate flag as part of their heritage. I can testify to this living in Georgia.

Outside of the "Blacks are brainwashed by the leftists" gaslighting line, I notice very few people can or will answer this question: Why aren't Blacks embracing the Confederate flag as part of their "southern heritage"? This is an important question to ask because. There is a major contrast between how many Whites view the Confederate flag vs how Blacks view the Confederate flag. And there are legitimate reasons for this. However, I'm noticing that said question is not being asked.

By the way, if the only thing anyone has to offer is "Blacks are brainwashed by the left" or some photo of a token Black person brandishing a Confederate flag, this is not the thread for you. I've seen that tactic so many times it's like a broken record. Gaslighting at its finest.
Because history isn't viewed solely from a black viewpoint. Even now.

Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Slaver States:

war is peace
freedom is slavery
ignorance is strength
Transference of ownership, that was the change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies