Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2019, 07:51 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,598,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
It's not just the flag & it's not just in the South.

A SOUTHERN SHAME: A WHITE SOUTHERNER’S TAKE ON RACE, CHARLOTTESVILLE, AND CONFEDERATE MONUMENTS

A Southern Shame: A White Southerner
Quote:
it's not just in the South.
It never was ... more [tripe] for your reading pleasure.

"The American Conflict: A History of The Great Rebellion in the United States of America, 1860 - '64: Its Causes, Incidents, and Results: Intended to Exhibit Especially Its Moral and Political Phases" ... (published 1867) [782 pages fully documented history)

Page 521 (Use of Negroes in Aid of the Rebellion)
"The use of negroes, both free and slave, for belligerent purposes, on the side of the Rebellion, dates from a period anterior to the outbreak of actual hostilities.
Page 522
The drafting of Black, and especially of slaves, by thousands, to work on Rebel fortifications, was, in general, rather ostentatiously paraded throughout the earliest stages of the War. The Confederate Congress was finally constrained to regulate by law the impressment of property for military service; and its general "Act to regulate Impressments" ...
<snip>
The Lynchburg Republican (Va.) had, so early as April, chronicled the volunteered enrollment of 70 of the free negroes of that place, to fight in defense of their State ...
<snip>
The next recorded organization of negroes, especially as Rebel soldiers, was at Mobile, toward Autumn; and, two of three months later, the following telegram was flashed over the length and breadth of the rejoicing Confederacy: "New Orleans, Nov. 23, 1861. "Over 28,000 troops were reviewed today by Gov. Moore, Maj. Gen. Lovell, and Bgig.-Gen. Ruggles. The line was over seven miles long. One regiment comprised 1,400 free colored men."
The (Rebel) Legislature of Virginia was engaged, so early as Feb. 4, 1862, on a bill to enroll all the free negroes in the State, for service in the Rebel forces; which was favored by all who discussed it; when it passed to its engrossment, and probably became a law.
All these, and many kindred movements in the same direction, preceded Mr. Lincoln's first or premonitory Proclamation of Freedom, and long preceded and organization of negro troops to fight for the Union. The credit of having first conquered their prejudices against the employment of Blacks, even as soldiers, if fairly due to the Rebels.
Page 524
For more than two years, negroes had been extensively employed in belligerent operations by the Confederacy. They had been embodied and drilled as Rebel soldiers, and had paraded with White troops at a time when this would not have been tolerated in the armies of the Union."
The Article you cited, could have also been written by a black man, born and raised in the South ... but I know if I quote any of them, and share their statements in relationship with this topic, then I stand accused of bringing a red herring or a gaslight attempt to the debate.

45% of the black population today has neither a positive or negative view of the rebel flag. That should say something ...

Old 04-08-2019, 05:38 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Most Americans could be asking these same questions:

Quote:
Why are so many public parks, city halls, and state houses throughout the South littered with monuments to the Confederacy?

Why are there statues dedicated to men who rebelled against the United States of America, to generals who fought to maintain the right to own other human beings?

Acknowledging it might take more a tad more courage than some can muster.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Most Americans could be asking these same questions:

Acknowledging it might take more a tad more courage than some can muster.
I know that's right ... other questions one might ask, is how could any of this be and how was it we were never told about it? Politics, got to love it ... One might argue stealing thunder from the black man again, but that doesn't fit everyone ...

Black Confederates honored at Mississippi Civil War monument
“The Canton monument is the only one we know of that honors African American Confederates, ” Bolm said.

St. Matthews' Caleb Glover awarded Southern Cross of Honor

45% of the black population today has neither a positive or negative view of the rebel flag. That should say something ...

Old 04-08-2019, 10:11 AM

858 posts, read 424,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I know that's right ... other questions one might ask, is how could any of this be and how was it we were never told about it? Politics, got to love it ... One might argue stealing thunder from the black man again, but that doesn't fit everyone ...

“The Canton monument is the only one we know of that honors African American Confederates, ” Bolm said.

Again, what's your point? Blacks were expressly forbidden from serving as combat troops in the Confederacy until the last couple of weeks of the war. Almost 200,000 Blacks served in the Union Military, what does focusing on the relative handful of Confederates prove exactly?

Old 04-08-2019, 10:21 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times
I'm a Southern native with family that has lived in the region since the 1700's. Yes, I also had ancestors who fought in the Civil War on the Confederate side.

I moved away from the South about 20 years ago but when I did live there my experiences and observations of the people who either flew, displayed, or supported the Confederate flag was that they were almost always from the working poor, had low levels of education, and were in many cases classic racists.

I just find it interesting that there are those whom claim its over their pride of being southern or whatever when there are so many other things, such as music, cuisine, art, culture and so on that are cherished around the world that originated in the South that express "Southern pride" way better than a ugly flag with a racist past.

Old 04-08-2019, 10:53 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post

Still gaslighting?

Old 04-08-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Again, what's your point? Blacks were expressly forbidden from serving as combat troops in the Confederacy until the last couple of weeks of the war. Almost 200,000 Blacks served in the Union Military, what does focusing on the relative handful of Confederates prove exactly?
Pensions for African Americans who Served or Fought for the Confederate States of America
"The American Civil War and slavery are not cut-and-dry issues that can be summarized simply by referring to the demarcation line known as the Mason and Dixon. On both sides of the map there were exceptions to the rule, with thousands of Southerners serving in Federal units while Copperhead sympathizers and even native-born Northerners aided, abetted, or served with Confederate armed forces. Thus, why should millions of free or enslaved African Americans be any different than their white counterparts? They too were individuals who were moved by ideas and emotions of their time." (my emphasis)

Beyond politics are people with every day lives; they deserve being remembered.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:36 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,928,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosep View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Still gaslighting?
Agree it's baffling. Even at its most extreme & untruthful, fr'instance all of the folks fighting for the Confederacy were African American people, the fact remains they were fighting for a country in which a universal right to own slaves was one of the most entrenched laws of the land.

Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 AM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
So much here I can understand, it's honest & straightforward, & has a clear & reality-based rationale. So unlike the neo-Confederate, alt-right, et al ideological double-speak!

Long story short: Confederate denialism & double-speak is used to justify neo-Confederate pride.

You wrote of the tendency to downplay the role of slavery. This is the thing: History matters. History is relevant here.

Immediately following the War, there was disagreement regarding the cause of the War, a disagreement which persists in the present day. This disagreement, both then & now, is the role of slavery.

Each of the Confederate states issued an Article of Secession document declaring their break from the United States of America. Four states went further. Texas, Mississippi, Georgia & South Carolina all issued additional documents, Declarations of Causes in which each state further explains their decision.

History matters. History is relevant here.

Primary Sources:
From Georgia's Declaration of Causes:

From Mississippi's Declaration of the Immediate Causes which Induce and Justify the Secession of the State of Mississippi from the Federal Union:

From South Carolina's Declaration of the Immediate Causes Which Induce and Justify the Secession of South Carolina from the Federal Union:

History matters.

Confederate denialism is used to justify neo-Confederate pride.

The States' rights argument is more double-speak & sophisty.

How could the Confederate States secede to preserve states’ rights if its own constitution mandated legal, federally protected slavery across state borders?

(I'm gonna stop now because I could go on & on & you know all this.)
History does matter, big time. One reason why denial will not get anyone anywhere.

I've posted stuff about the Articles of Secession, and from the Confederate Constitution. I notice many people ignore those documents. Those are original documents. I've even dared someone to prove those documents wrong.

Bringing up the states' rights argument is more or less a way of "cover your backside". There wasn't much remorse for slavery. Proof of that is when Jim Crow became the law of the land. There was anger. Many people were angered that their way of life was gone forever. It was a way of life built on slavery. The lie of the Lost Cause could also be seen as a way to thwart off criticism from non-Southerners. How can one be proud of those who fought for such a disgusting cause? You use denial. And the denial is almost like an "up yours".

Old 04-10-2019, 10:03 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,131 times
We can't even create good history because people want to keep bringing up the past.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies