Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 09:10 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times

Advertisements

What is really suspicious about this, not long ago after more states voted to legalize, the DEA, took out a full page ad, basically reiterating that it is STILL a schedule 1 drug and they would NOT be changing anytime soon.

I couldnt believe how bold this corrupt agency was...first, they are nothing more than an agency, they are not lawmakers themselves (the ad implied it is them, the DEA, who can change this)...

And more importantly, this is NOT their decision to make, govt is supposed to represent the interest of the people, since more and more people are beginning to see what a failure the drug war has been, public sentiment is changing...how dare a govt agency attempt to do what they think is best?!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2019, 09:14 AM

52,267 posts, read 52,686,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
What is really suspicious about this, not long ago after more states voted to legalize, the DEA, took out a full page ad, basically reiterating that it is STILL a schedule 1 drug and they would NOT be changing anytime soon.

I couldnt believe how bold this corrupt agency was...first, they are nothing more than an agency, they are not lawmakers themselves (the ad implied it is them, the DEA, who can change this)...

And more importantly, this is NOT their decision to make, govt is supposed to represent the interest of the people, since more and more people are beginning to see what a failure the drug war has been, public sentiment is changing...how dare a govt agency attempt to do what they think is best?!!
I think it's cute you think that the government actually represents the interest of the public. LOL, J/K.

We just passed something here in CA last year making recreational weed legal. I keep hearing about all of the revenue Colorado is supposedly ranking in on taxes for the stuff. We'll see if that happens here or not.

Probably wouldn't matter, the politicians here could never get enough tax money to pay for all of the crap they want for all of the illegals and other social welfare programs.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 AM

5,110 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem here? I don't trust her. What you did before you decided to run for office is important. She can argue I was just doing my job.

As Luke said calling it your job don't make it right, Boss.
+1, I agree. I wonder what kind of food she taked at her lunch to post the following tweet.
https://twitter.com/KamalaHarris/sta...38170956693504

Old 02-11-2019, 09:23 AM

7,982 posts, read 4,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
I’m 100% behind this always have been but even if it’s legal on a federal level, do the states have a right to keep it illegal?

I'm not sure. Interesting question.

I am not allowed to do it unless it's legal on a federal level. Even if it's legal in my state (which is not Calif), I can't do it.

Those are the fed rules!

Old 02-11-2019, 09:27 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,412,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
So what?

Trump favors leaving marijuana legalization to the states. That's different from Harris' position.
The president is only in a position to help change federal law. Therefore the position is really not that different. As president either Trump or Harris would be able to sign a bill eliminating the current federal law making it illegal, they would not have power over how states treat it.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:31 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Good, but its not going to happen for another 20-30 years unfortunately. The Republican Party will never allow it.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:34 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,784,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
The president is only in a position to help change federal law. Therefore the position is really not that different. As president either Trump or Harris would be able to sign a bill eliminating the current federal law making it illegal, they would not have power over how states treat it.
From the article.
Quote:
In May, Harris signed on as a cosponsor of a Booker-led bill to remove marijuana from the Controlled Substances Act and withhold federal funding from states with discriminatory cannabis enforcement.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,166,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The problem here? I don't trust her. What you did before you decided to run for office is important.

Apparently not. It was obvious Trump was a no good con man (Trump University, shady real estate deals funded by the Russian neo-mafia) and his supporters voted for him anyway. Before the election Trump's background had more red flags than a Soviet military parade.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:38 AM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
From the article.
I technically agree with the proposal in principle, but now is not the time for that kind of policy. Right now, states should be able to keep it illegal if they choose. The part that withholds federal funding to states that keep it illegal will result in backlash that could undo all the progress we've seen on this issue. Red states aren't going to take kindly to that.

With that said, something that is completely legal in one state shouldn't result in a decade behind bars and a felony record just for crossing an imaginary line.

Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,597,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post
I'm not sure. Interesting question.

I am not allowed to do it unless it's legal on a federal level. Even if it's legal in my state (which is not Calif), I can't do it.

Those are the fed rules!
No...if something is legal on the federal level, states CANNOT make it illegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies