Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM

73,019 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
Comparing whites to whites isn't always useful, since one of the main causes of the lower life-expectancy of blacks, is higher rates of murder. And blacks disproportionately murder whites. So not only do blacks have lower life-expectancies, but they drive down the life-expectancy for everyone else.

Regardless, statistics are useless if you don't understand them. If democratic states have a longer life-expectancy, what is the cause? Can you provide some examples of specific democratic policies which cause the disparity? If you believe the gap is related to access to healthcare, then can provide me actual evidence for your claim? Why is healthcare better in New York City than in Atlanta?

As another post wrote, drug-overdoses and suicides are a major killer in many parts of the country. The areas of the country affected most by the opioid-epidemic are red-states.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...ate-policy-map

Also, suicide-rates have been rising sharply across the country, and are highest in red-states. In parts of the country, the suicide-rate has more than doubled in the past 15 years.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...?noredirect=on

In Alaska, the suicide-rate is 21.8 per 100,000 people. Let us assume that of the nearly 80-year life expectancy, 65 years of that(from 15-80) there is a risk of suicide. That means the lifetime risk of suicide would be 1,417 per 100,000. That would mean around 1 in 70 people in Alaska will kill themselves. And the average-age of suicide is probably 30-35 years old.

So if you had 70 people, and 69 of them lived to 80-years old, and one committed suicide at 30. That single suicide would drop the average life-expectancy to 79.28. Now add drug-overdoses, where people tend to die even younger than suicides, and add some obesity, sprinkle some dangerous jobs like logging and farming, then consider outdoor activities, such as riding four-wheelers, and the difference in life-expectancy shouldn't surprise anyone.

But what does that have to do with the policies of the democratic-party?
Well, as I've said in another, if you examine each state, it isn't as simple as you think. The lowest life expectancy among Whites are in states like West Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Alabama, those states. Those states also have the lowest Black life expectancy. Sounds like both groups aren't doing very well in those states. The states with the lowest life expectancy rank poorly for both Blacks and Whites.

Several states have a situation where Blacks have a higher life expectancy than Whites: Minsesota, Maine, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, New Hampshire, Vermont, North Dakota, South Dakota. What do you think is up in those states? Those states rank high for White life expectancy.

Or how about this. South Dakota, Blacks have a higher life expectancy than Whites. Just across the border in Nebraska, Whites live about 80 years. Blacks, on the other hand, life about 73.9 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 11:53 AM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
If democratic states have a longer life-expectancy, what is the cause? Can you provide some examples of specific democratic policies which cause the disparity? If you believe the gap is related to access to healthcare, then can provide me actual evidence for your claim? Why is healthcare better in New York City than in Atlanta?
We have touched upon this to some extent already.

A huge reason is lifestyle. Smoking rates by state and obesity rates by state are nearly an identical image of life expectancy.

When I moved from Seattle to Kansas City, the proportion of people in Kansas City who were fat was noticeably more than in Seattle. It was hard to miss. Even - and frankly, especially - the white people. Smoking rates are clearly higher as well.

All those liberal, granola munching hippies that conservatives love to ridicule, actually take good care of themselves. Even their vices (such as pot smoking) tend to be less harmful than conservative's vices (such as tobacco smoking, meth). Rather than ridiculing them, conservatives should be emulating them.

Last edited by James Bond 007; 04-16-2019 at 12:07 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
I don't think one race's murders against another race is going to make a noticeable difference. The great majority of homicides are intra-race.
That is true. Most murder is intra-racial. A Black person being murdered by another Black person isn't going to have much effect on a non-Black person, with some exceptions.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:10 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
We have touched upon this to some extent already.

A huge reason is lifestyle. Smoking rates by state and obesity rates by state are nearly an identical image of life expectancy.

When I moved from Seattle to Kansas City, the proportion of people in Kansas City who were fat was noticeably more than in Seattle. It was hard to miss. Even - and frankly, especially - the white people. Smoking rates are clearly higher as well.

All those liberal, granola munching hippies that conservatives love to ridicule, actually take good care of themselves. Even their vices (such as pot smoking) tend to be less harmful than conservative's vices (such as tobacco smoking, meth). Rather than ridiculing them, conservatives should be emulating them.
As I mentioned, diet is a key factor and the prevalence of fried foods in the South is sending them to an early grave. I notice the level of obesity when I travel from many of the countries I've worked in back to the USA....we in the USA need to improve our food chain and eating habits. I agree smoking is also a factor not to be ignored.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
We have touched upon this sum to some extent already.

I took a trip to Los Angeles several years ago. I went to places such as Venice Beach, Long Beach, Santa Clarita, Glendale. I found something interesting. Very few fat people. I went to Venice Beach. Very few fat people regardless of race. I ran into some Black locals on my trip. None of them fat. They looked like they took care of themselves. I'm sure there are fat people in the L.A. area. Plenty of junkie places to eat at. However, compared to L.A., there are alot more fat people per capita in the Atlanta area, especially when you get out to the "redneck" areas.

I live in a county that supported Trump to a tune of 68 percent. I can still find people flying Confederate flags. I can confirm the drug problems. where I live. I have found syringes on the ground. I know people who got hooked on pills and meth. There is also alot of obesity where I live. And not just the adults. Kids too.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:39 PM

30,371 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I took a trip to Los Angeles several years ago. I went to places such as Venice Beach, Long Beach, Santa Clarita, Glendale. I found something interesting. Very few fat people. I went to Venice Beach. Very few fat people regardless of race. I ran into some Black locals on my trip. None of them fat. They looked like they took care of themselves. I'm sure there are fat people in the L.A. area. Plenty of junkie places to eat at. However, compared to L.A., there are alot more fat people per capita in the Atlanta area, especially when you get out to the "redneck" areas.

I live in a county that supported Trump to a tune of 68 percent. I can still find people flying Confederate flags. I can confirm the drug problems. where I live. I have found syringes on the ground. I know people who got hooked on pills and meth. There is also alot of obesity where I live. And not just the adults. Kids too.
Then why do you think white people in Georgia on average live almost 3 years longer than blacks in California? Those in shape black Democrat voters are living a much shorter lifespan than those fat, drug addicted, white Trump voters in Georgia.

https://www.kff.org/other/state-indi...2:%22asc%22%7D

Old 04-16-2019, 12:47 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Well, as I've said in another, if you examine each state, it isn't as simple as you think. The lowest life expectancy among Whites are in states like West Virginia, Mississippi, Louisiana, Oklahoma, Kentucky, Alabama, those states. Those states also have the lowest Black life expectancy. Sounds like both groups aren't doing very well in those states. The states with the lowest life expectancy rank poorly for both Blacks and Whites.
The question is, why? I like statistics as much as the next guy, but they don't provide much information on their own.

For instance, you may have heard that the life-expectancy in the Middle-Ages was about 35. And in movies you'll hear jokes about how people who lived to be 35 were considered "old". But is that true?

The reason life-expectancy was low in the Middle-Ages, was because of the exceptionally-high infant-mortality rate.

Life-expectancy is an average. So if you have two people, and one lives to be 80, and the other dies a week after birth. The average life-expectancy of those two people is 40.

This is why murder-rates, suicide-rates, accidental-death, and drug-related deaths have such a huge impact on life-expectancy. Young people are far more-likely to be murdered, to kill themselves, to die in car-accidents, and to overdose from drugs. A mere handful of teenagers dying can drop the average dramatically.

If there were 100 people, and 90 of them lived to be 80, and 10 of them died at 18. The average life-expectancy would drop down to 73.8... Or to put it another way, each 18-year-old death out of 100 people would drop life-expectancy by .62 years.

I'm fine with you quoting statistics, but statistics are pointless without an explanation. And living to 35 in the Middle-Ages didn't make you old. Because the people who didn't die in childhood, had an average life-expectancy of 60-70 years.

https://www.livescience.com/10569-hu...000-years.html

If I were to "guess" why blacks had a higher life-expectancy than whites in some states, it probably has a lot to do with suicide rates. For whatever reason, blacks don't kill themselves at anywhere near the rate that whites kill themselves. In South Dakota, there probably aren't many blacks there, and the ones that are there, don't live in urban ghettos, since there basically aren't any cities there, so they are less-likely to be murdered. In states with high suicide rates and low murder rates, blacks probably outlive whites.

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/67/wr/mm6714a6.htm

With that said, I always find it strange that blacks have the lowest suicide-rate. They are supposedly the most-oppressed, and whites are supposedly the most-privileged, but blacks have nearly 1/3rd the suicide rate as whites.

Last edited by Redshadowz; 04-16-2019 at 12:55 PM..

Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
As I mentioned, diet is a key factor and the prevalence of fried foods in the South is sending them to an early grave. I notice the level of obesity when I travel from many of the countries I've worked in back to the USA....we in the USA need to improve our food chain and eating habits. I agree smoking is also a factor not to be ignored.
A healthy diet goes a long way in helping people live longer, healthier lives. Southern food isn't healthy. Neither are most of the things from fast food places. I will add something else that hardly gets mentioned.

West Virginia, for being a lightly population(and dropping) state, has very high levels of pollution. And not just air pollution. Water pollution is an issue in West Virginia. And much of it is related to abuses from the coal industry.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47165522

West Virginia ranks in the bottom 10 for life expectancy in the USA. Pollution is playing a role in this. High rates of cancer. And because of the amount of people who depend on the coal industry for work, many get black lung disease.

I watched a documentary that Diane Sawyer narrated and was part of. She went to eastern Kentucky. It was some of the most horrifying things one could see outside of the inner cities. Grinding poverty, drug addiction, alcoholism. One place visited was a coal mine. Sawyer brought up the subject of black lung disease. None of the miners wanted to talk about it. One thing that was found was a high amount of junk food consumption. In addition, alot of Mountain Dew consumption.

Old 04-16-2019, 12:55 PM

20,871 posts, read 9,536,978 times
Quote:
Then why do you think white people in Georgia on average live almost 3 years longer than blacks in California? Those in shape black Democrat voters are living a much shorter lifespan than those fat, drug addicted, white Trump voters in Georgia.

Because, while blacks in CA tend to be thinner than blacks in most of the rest of the country, they are still fat, and somewhat fatter than whites in GA.

Black obesity rate in CA: 31.4%
https://www.stateofobesity.org/states/ca/

White obesity rate in GA: 29.5%
https://www.stateofobesity.org/states/ga/

Old 04-16-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:

Probably the same thing killing Blacks in Georgia: Murder. And ask yourself this. Why are Whites in CA living longer than Whites in GA?

How about this. Blacks in New Hampshire live 6 years longer than Whites in New Hampshire. And Whites have a life expectancy of about 80 years in NH, which is higher than average. Black life expectancy in New Hampshire: 86 years. Why do you think that is?

Why is the Black life expectancy for Minnesota and Vermont higher than for Whites (and the White life expectancy in those states is high as well)?

And while you're harping on California's Blacks, how about this. Blacks in Hawaii live longer than Whites in Georgia.

Nebraska, a Republican state. Whites have a life expectancy of about 80 years. For Blacks, it's around 73.9 years. Why is that? And all of this considering Nebraska borders two states where Blacks live longer, on average, than Whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies