Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2019, 11:56 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
The reality is old minds often get left behind when they don't embrace change.
so change should be 'embraced' just because it's change, regardless of its merits?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2019, 03:06 PM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
so change should be 'embraced' just because it's change, regardless of its merits?
I agree. There's good change and there's bad change. I refuse to embrace the latter.

Old 09-13-2019, 09:57 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Ellis Island

"... it has been estimated that close to 40 percent of all current U.S. citizens can trace at least one of their ancestors to Ellis Island.

When Ellis Island opened, a great change was taking place in U.S. immigration. Fewer arrivals were coming from northern and western Europe – Germany, Ireland, Britain and the Scandinavian countries – as more and more immigrants poured in from southern and eastern Europe.

Among this new generation were Jews escaping from political and economic oppression in czarist Russia and eastern Europe (some 484,000 arrived in 1910 alone) and Italians escaping poverty in their country. There were also Poles, Hungarians, Czechs, Serbs, Slovaks and Greeks, along with non-Europeans from Syria, Turkey and Armenia.

The reasons they left their homes in the Old World included war, drought, famine and religious persecution, and all had hopes for greater opportunity in the New World."

And now there is a problem with diversity? Maybe their great great grandparent should have stayed in the 'other' country and then they wouldn't be having this problem. Or perhaps they could take a trip to that country; maybe some where along the way, they'd figure it out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
They’re mad because I can’t turn popcorn back into a kernel..
That could be ... All I know is American Nationalism is an oxymoron. Speaking of popcorn ... There is only one group of people that can be American by blood not birth. The ones that were here; living on this land before everyone else and their brother showed up.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:05 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,594,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal77 View Post
The reality is old minds often get left behind when they don't embrace change.
Just because you're going to jump off that bridge, doesn't mean I'm going to, but you go ahead, change is good --- embrace the change. Older minds can see a bit farther, than that which is just in front of them. See, I'm the old mind, that I see it, but I want you all to go ahead with it, so I can watch. It's just much more fun ...

Old 09-13-2019, 10:13 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
That could be ... All I know is American Nationalism is an oxymoron. Speaking of popcorn ... There is only one group of people that can be American by blood not birth. The ones that were here; living on this land before everyone else and their brother showed up.
But apparently that doesn't count either because this wasn't a country when they were here.. Talk about shifting the post lol

Old 09-13-2019, 10:13 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,356,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
It also helped that the immigration from that part of Europe was largely shut off for several decades, allowing these immigrants to assimilate due to no new "blood" arriving.

That all changed with the 1965 Hart-Cellar act, which prioritized immigration from the Third Word. Places often considerably different in culture, religion and even race (real or perceived) from the earlier European immigrants.
Wrong, wrong and wrong.

Assimiliation is a two way street..it's not just that immigrants adapt to the new ways of their adapted land, their new home also has to allow them entry and opportunities to participate in society.

For example, African Americans despite being in the USA since its birth, weren't really allowed to "assimiliate" in the way that more recent immigrant groups were allowed to.

Many German immigrants pretty much stuck to their language and own communities until WWI made it very politically unpopular to do that. Had little to do with the volume of new immigrants arriving.

And shutting off Asian immigration for several decades didn't really make the Asians in America assimilate any faster - because they were pretty much shut off from opportunities AND they were also not allowed to be naturalized, until after WWII.

Actually, what the Hart Cellar Act was NOT to prioritize immigration from "the Third World", but remove the bias against immigration from non-European countries. That's what allowed more Asian and Latin American immigrants to come to the US. In the meantime, fewer Europeans came to the USA because they didn't have a reason to, with Europe recovering economically from the WWII era.

Old 09-13-2019, 10:18 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,495,432 times
Well American has never had a singular culture. Lets lay it on the table. Some on this thread say their is a
"white" culture. There is not. Swedes had little in common with the Irish for instance. So when someone says preserving white culture I wonder what that is. Seriously. Define it.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:24 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Everyone born here after this land was discovered was a native. There were no special natives as all of their ancestors migrated here from somewhere else. Living on land alone does not make one a native to it.

Old 09-14-2019, 06:31 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Old white people rant and foam at the mouth about “multiculturalism,” when younger generations live in diverse areas and enjoy it and don’t give it too much thought. The USA is much more of a melting pot than what the hysterical old white people realize.

Old 09-14-2019, 07:31 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
The idea is to make us "Americans" and not think in terms of skin color, social status, etc. The identity politics gets tiring. Way back when we had caste systems, arranged marriages, and the like...same old song and dance... A psychological attempt to assert dominance over others and feel secure. Status is earned, not bestowed. Improve yourself. Learn to accept differences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies