Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-20-2019, 11:57 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,241,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Flying in international airspace and doing surveillance on another country is done by every nation with the capability, and has been done for decades. Have a friend who used to be in the Navy while stationed in Japan would fly surveillance near China. The Chinese fighters would come close and wave to the Americans. He would show us video tapes of this happening all the time, edited of course for security reasons. Right now you can be sure Russia has subs or disguised merchants ships off our coast. If the international community considered this a valid "instigation" the World would have been at constant War for years.
Sadly it's OK for the government to spy but when people expose the governments corruption we get all upset.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,397,212 times
John Kerry probably advised Iran to do this.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:00 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,955,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Sadly it's OK for the government to spy but when people expose the governments corruption we get all upset.
I wouldn't say "ok" but just a reality of life. Countries spend all this money on these cool military toys. Somebody is always itching to play with them. Human nature is a *****.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:01 PM

45,591 posts, read 27,215,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Soooooo, we’re not gonna talk about the fact that we’ve spent $180 million on a drone?

Just days after conservatives went ballistic on another thread about American children getting free lunch in the summertime?
I didn't post anything - but I was like... dang... $180M??

But hey - drones were the Obama's administrations prime attack vehicle when they did attack an enemy.

Both sides use the debt and outrageous costs as leverage against the other side. In the end, nobody ever does anything.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:02 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,668,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Wag the dog would not surprise me. It would be easy enough to fly the drone in international air space, swerve into Iranian air space, wait for the SAM launch, swerve back into international air just before impact. Then cry foul. Presto, instant diversion to bad publicity about polls and the revolving door white house.
With dexterity of movement like that it could have dodge the missile !!!
It would work in a movie though !!!
What makes you think the drone knows when a missile is locked on or launched at it ?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:02 PM

18,462 posts, read 7,098,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
It was their own money.

How many times does that have to be said?

Once that money was seized, it was no longer "their money".

How many times does that have to be said?

Old 06-20-2019, 12:07 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times
according to Wikipedia the cost per unit could be as high as $222 million, I think factoring in "depreciation" we should make a demand that Iran remit $180 million to pay for the damage!

RQ-4 Global Hawk:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northr...-4_Global_Hawk

Incase one is wondering, the Global Hawk RQ4 drone is a fullsize aircraft not some toy which is why it costs that much!

Old 06-20-2019, 12:08 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
The lunatic fringe talks of war while rational people consider what a limited military strike would look like.
War. It would look like war. Using military means to force your will on a different country is what war is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Once that money was seized, it was no longer "their money".
Yes. Yes, it was. It's one of them legal thingamabobs.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:09 PM

5,986 posts, read 2,241,315 times
Wow I need to be in the drone business. $180 million for a single drone and you know our military has a fleet of them. I have seen estimates of military drone numbers and its around 8000 total and I am sure not all cost 180 million. That number is from Military Times but I don't remember when I saw that.

But even 2000 fully equipped drones would cost $360,000,000,000 or 360 BILLION dollars. That doesn't cover the flight equipment, maintenance ect.

Makes $20 Billion for a wall or $3 Billion for Universal Health Care, or $3 Billion for Free college seem like chump change.

All the RA Ra AMERICA shoot mizzles Boom Boom stuff is allowing our government and special interest to fleece the American people. No wonder enlisted persons cant get a raise and the VA has issues.

Old 06-20-2019, 12:19 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,796,338 times
It may be expensive but it gets the job done and reconnaissance and collection of intelligence is paramount for the safety of the country... and you have to admit that this is one COOL piece of work!!!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies