Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 12:10 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never said it was an "educated guess".

So you call me out and then agree with me. I can't tell you the number of times this has happened.
You are still misunderstanding. Theories are either supported by evidence or they are not supported by evidence. After all, the poster who brought up this side ramble believes the evidence supports the biblical creation theory. He is arguing that the evidence proves his theory. I would (formally) argue not that the evidence disproves his theory, but that the modern synthesis (Darwin + genetics) does a much better job of explaining the facts that we have, and also provides us with more fruitful framework within which to ask new questions and do further research. Someday the modern synthesis may morph into something else which does an even better job. That doesn't mean that the modern synthesis is wrong, just that it wasn't the whole story.

Fun fact - Many scientists today will still tell you that Newton is the greatest scientist who ever lived. Even though his ideas about the nature of the universe are no longer accepted, and he spent a good part of his life studying alchemy. They value him for the rigor of his thinking based on the facts that he had. He could not possibly have known what we know today. It isn't his "rightness" or his "wrongness" that makes him notable.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:11 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,256,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Science is indeed about proving. It's why you search for facts. I'm sorry for offending your faith.

To note, you called me out when you agreed with my statement also.
My faith? What does that have to do with anything? I don’t believe in religion, I am talking about science. Something you clearly know little about, and which I have degrees in.

We are not discussing opinions on illegal immigration here. There are correct and incorrect definitions here and you are incorrect.

What have I said that could possibly lead you to believe that faith has anything to do with what I am talking about?

Last edited by AnesthesiaMD; 07-07-2019 at 12:28 PM..

Old 07-07-2019, 12:12 PM

8,244 posts, read 3,497,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
This manner of "thinking" reminds me of the Dark Ages era, where even the brightest minds hadn't figured out that the plague was caused by bacteria, so they automatically concluded that it was a punishment from G-d.

Imagine how life would be today if that "explanation" was forever accepted and no further scientific research was done on that.
Just because the plague is caused by bacteria doesn't mean it wasn't punishment from God. God can use whatever He wants to enact punishment on someone. Science just shows how God does what He does in a way humans can better understand.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:14 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
When people start quoting translated stuff from thousands of years back as their "evidence", you know they don't have much except a museum with dinos with nice saddles on them for the kids to sit upon.

One wonders why some cannot be satisfied with the world as it is...and as it is being unfolded...without having to prove superstition. The floor will not open up and swallow us if we fail to accept stories of old.

BTW, a movement in the USA started well over 100 years ago - many were shocked. Educated men asked to be cremated because they knew that the stories....were just stories.

We are already (now) over 50% and headed much high (55% by 2021).....which would seem to indicate that this percentage of people are not real Christians or Jews....in at least one sense. I suspect the rate will continue to rise, which does give some indication of the old time religion fading.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:15 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
You are still misunderstanding. Theories are either supported by evidence or they are not supported by evidence.
I NEVER argued otherwise. There is evidence that leads to the theory of evolution. The theory has not been proven with evidence yet.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:18 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Religion should have nothing to do w/ being American.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:23 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
America does have a great many Bible-believing Christians, and this country itself is a great gift of God to Christians who reside here; but the only Christian nation is God's Kingdom, which is not of this world (John 18:36).
Then why do so many Christians say God told them to run for political office?

Old 07-07-2019, 12:30 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,646,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornintheSprings View Post
Thats a load of bull most of the founders weren't even christian.
Yeah, and they likely wouldn't get elected if they ran for Congress in the Red States.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:58 PM

62,971 posts, read 29,162,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
Religion should have nothing to do w/ being American.
Except our country was founded Christian-Judeo principles.

Old 07-07-2019, 01:01 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Except our country was founded Christian-Judeo principles.
We gave those up long ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies