Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2019, 06:29 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Slime plus time (i.e., abiogenesis and evolution) cannot create living systems, which are information. DNA is information. It doesn't come from nothing. It comes from intelligence. Genetic information is much more complex than even computer information. It cannot originate by chance.
Many. many scientists would disagree with you.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:45 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
I love it how non-scientists (only 6% of scientists ID as Republicans) work backwards ONCE ANY DISCOVERIES ARE MADE...and can explain anything. Of course, the Lord wanted to fool us and deposit all those layers and fossils in exactly that fashion! He's fooling us with this Universe stuff....just a Potemkin Village - a facade meant to keep us from him.

It reminds me of being 8 years old when you knew something the other kids didn't. When they got frustrated they'd finally say "my dad can beat up your dad" or something of the sort. End of Story. Therefore they were right all along.

I'll take Einstein in this case for two points.....
"He did not believe in a personal God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings, a view which he described as naïve."

I'll also take that of Franklin and Jefferson, neither of whom believed in the divinity or of miracles (the two being related).

To show how far backwards we have come, Ben Franklin (arguably, IMHO, one of the wisest overall founders in terms of common sense and accomplishments) was NEVER EVEN ASKED about whether he "believed" until he was very old....and, even then, it was a letter from someone - not a political litmus test (as people do today).....

He answered in the negative - but, being Ben, joked that he'd find out soon enough (he was old).....

Life is way too short to convert people either way. However, one can READ what Jefferson, Franklin, Hamilton, etc. said about these subjects. To them - reason, logic and science was like a DRUG. It was a "new thing", and they saw mankind as coming out of the darkness which was buttressed by religion.

Once again we have opposite world...and, sure enough, most of the people who make the "christian nation" charge could not possibly have read the very words of these men. They are just putting forth "facts" which they let someone else put into their heads.

"I cannot imagine a God who rewards and punishes the objects of his creation, whose purposes are modeled after our own - a God, in short, who is but a reflection of human frailty. It is enough for me to contemplate the mystery of conscious life perpetuating itself through all eternity, to reflect upon the marvelous structure of the universe which we can dimly perceive and to try humbly to comprehend even an infinitesimal part of the intelligence manifested in Nature."
Einstein

“In every country and in every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for protection to his own.”
Thomas Jefferson

Old 07-06-2019, 07:07 PM

14,497 posts, read 9,437,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
So, do you let them think for you? It seems like that what many, many people do. Science is constantly being overturned. DNA is complex information; that doesn't arise spontaneously. I appeal to very basic things that anyone could understand. Information is always a product of intelligence. It does not arise by chance, and cannot.

Anyone can understand this. God has nullified the wisdom of the world with the foolish things of the world. 1 Corinthians 1:18-31:

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
I love it how non-scientists (only 6% of scientists ID as Republicans) work backwards ONCE ANY DISCOVERIES ARE MADE...and can explain anything. Of course, the Lord wanted to fool us and deposit all those layers and fossils in exactly that fashion!
In fact, uniformitarianism is untenable. Catastrophism (especially, the Flood of Noah) fits better.

https://answersingenesis.org/the-flo...lood-evidence/

Old 07-06-2019, 07:26 PM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
So, do you let them think for you? It seems like that what many, many people do. Science is constantly being overturned. DNA is complex information; that doesn't arise spontaneously. I appeal to very basic things that anyone could understand. Information is always a product of intelligence. It does not arise by chance, and cannot.

Anyone can understand this. God has nullified the wisdom of the world with the foolish things of the world. 1 Corinthians 1:18-31:

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.
19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.
20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?
21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.
22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:
23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;
24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.
25 Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
26 For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:
27 But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;
28 And base things of the world, and things which are despised, hath God chosen, yea, and things which are not, to bring to nought things that are:
29 That no flesh should glory in his presence.
30 But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
31 That, according as it is written, He that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.

In fact, uniformitarianism is untenable. Catastrophism (especially, the Flood of Noah) fits better.

https://answersingenesis.org/the-flo...lood-evidence/
I am glad that you can believe in fairy tales written many years ago. I will stick with what can be proved by science myself.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,108,006 times
Quote:
So, do you let them think for you?
I find this very ironic.....

Old 07-06-2019, 08:29 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I wouldn't waste my time arguing. If a person believes that a flood happened only 4000 years ago that raised sea level to the top of Mount Everest (that is 5.49 miles) and that a 900 year old man rounded up two of every species planet-wide, then I don't think there's much science that will be convincing to them. What really matters is that a substantial number of Americans believe that should be part of public school science curriculum.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:38 PM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
Over 30% of Americans Say Being a Chrstian Is Important to be "Truly an American."

I guess over 30% of US citizens are Mherkunz

Old 07-06-2019, 08:40 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
So, by my math, over 30% of Americans are terminally stupid.

Zombies with red hats.

Old 07-06-2019, 08:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,682,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
So, by my math, over 30% of Americans are terminally stupid.

Zombies with red hats.
If you add the clueless stupid to the superstitious stupid, you get up to about 45%.

VOTE.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:25 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,758,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
I wonder how liberals would feel it was at least 60%.
It used to be that high, or even higher.

So this liberal atheist is actually pretty encouraged!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies