Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I think 2 persons speaking spanish in front of english speakers if they know english is rude.
I think people thinking they need to know what others are conversing about regardless of language is rude.

Mind your own business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 07:11 AM

62,970 posts, read 29,152,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Because we are "We the people", not "We the citizens", who have no constitutional standing.

I "became" a citizen when I was one minute old, and could,'t speak a word of English, and no law required me to.
No not really. Anyone with half a brain would know that people under the Constitution meant citizens not foreign invaders. Your analogy is just plain silly. No baby no matter where they were born can speak a language yet. What the poster was referring to are those who are naturalized citizens and yes they do have to know passable English to become citizens of our country.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
I think people thinking they need to know what others are conversing about regardless of language is rude.

Mind your own business.
Once again, who gives a hoot what the gist of their conversation is about? Quit going that route! It's not about that it's about having to listen to loud foreign babble everywhere you go and not being able to escape it. I do make rudeness by business as rudeness is just plain wrong.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
I hope you're as outraged at the government for spending millions of our tax dollars on Trump's weekly golf outings.
Trump doesn't even take a salary for God's sake! All presidents have taken vacations and many of them were golfers. Why be a hypocrite?

Old 07-14-2019, 07:17 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,679,366 times
I spent two weeks in Calexico and El Centro for work once and it was nice being in public and not having to be privy to every mundane conversation I heard. I like the thrift shops when mostly Mexicans are there. When I'm in public I want people to be quite like me or speak a language I don't understand.

People in video don't really want them to speak English they want them to, "go back to where they came from." How do you think people learn the language. They learn it by us teaching it to them. English is not a very hard language to learn but we have to treat them like we want them to be Americans before they feel they need the language.

Last edited by thriftylefty; 07-14-2019 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-14-2019, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Do you have any idea how many American tourists go abroad and brazenly and disgustingly speak English to each other in restaurants and buses? No wonder so many of those rude American tourists are gunned down in the streets of places like Denmark.
If they are tourists I wouldn't expect them to know the language of another country and the same thing applies here. I have no double standard. However, if one chooses to move here or to a foreign country they should absolutely learn the language of that country and speak it whenever possible in public.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The question begs. Why do you even care?
I've explained it over and and over. Geezus!

Old 07-14-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Back in the mid-80's, I was working cleaning a church that was being renovated in Baltimore. St. Anthony's, if anyone's curious. While I was cleaning pillars, there was a painting crew of two guys fresh off the boat from Czechoslovakia. They spoke virtually no English, and I spoke no Czech, nor any related language. Still, we manage to communicate - one of them knew Italian, and I'd had French & Spanish in school, recently enough that I still remembered a good bit of it. So that's how we talked. It was fun.
Cute story but we aren't talking about people who just got off the boat or that are tourists in our country.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:25 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Once again, who gives a hoot what the gist of their conversation is about? Quit going that route! It's not about that it's about having to listen to loud foreign babble everywhere you go and not being able to escape it. I do make rudeness by business as rudeness is just plain wrong.
Not listening to someone else’s conversation sounds the same regardless of what language is being used.

Just pretend they’re one of the many white people who can’t even speak proper English.

Mind your own business.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:28 AM

35,704 posts, read 21,063,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Time you move to those “up yonder hills” the demographics have changed in your area and you are not flexible enough to handle it. Their is a segment of our society called “the elderly” which some just want to keep everything to to stay the same. I hear this 24/7 back in the 50/60s bla bla. They think if all is kept the same they will not get old and .... the great fear. Give it up dears, time and change can’t be stopped. I’m 66 and I welcome change
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies