Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2019, 02:37 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
He was very much in the right for resisting arrest here imo, and I think the city needs to publicly admit that!!

Citizens DO HAVE rights when it comes to dealing with police, he was NOT doing anything wrong, its a shame no other citizens came to his aid and maybe put the damn cop in a chokehold! LOL

I would also support rioting over this, in this case, its definitely justified.
I was not aware citizens have the right to physically resist when it comes to LE.
Seems to me resisting is more likely to have an unfavorable outcome for the resister.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 02:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I was not aware citizens have the right to physically resist when it comes to LE.
Seems to me resisting is more likely to have an unfavorable outcome for the resister.
You can shoot to protect yourself if need be.

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/no...shooting-cops/

Old 07-16-2019, 02:50 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
The concept of "Resisting arrest" is too loose now. You can be considered resisting arrest for nearly anything you say or do. I could literally be putting on the handcuffs myself but I say "This is BS and I want you badge..." while doing it, the cop might get a hissy fit and say I resisted. Its the Cops word vs yours and unless your a Cop or Judge, or Billionaire, that charge will stick and no one will believe you. You think a Jury or Judge will believe a citizen over a Cop, NOPE.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Funny I am white and I have not been arrested over 30 times in my life. Actually I have never been arrested. But you see that has nothing to do with the color of my skin but has to do with the fact that I follow the law. I does not matter what your skin color is. What matters is that you are a good person who does not commit crimes!
I’ll go one further. I have never been arrested, received a moving violation or a parking ticket. I obey laws, regardless if I agree with them or not.

In the event an officer attempts to arrest me at some future date, I am not going to run my mouth, take off running or physically resist. There’s a time and place.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
The concept of "Resisting arrest" is too loose now. You can be considered resisting arrest for nearly anything you say or do. I could literally be putting on the handcuffs myself but I say "This is BS and I want you badge..." while doing it, the cop might get a hissy fit and say I resisted. Its the Cops word vs yours and unless your a Cop or Judge, or Billionaire, that charge will stick and no one will believe you. You think a Jury or Judge will believe a citizen over a Cop, NOPE.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...arges-dropped/

Old 07-16-2019, 02:55 PM

5,984 posts, read 2,238,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Still tried to charge them, so you proved that Cops will stretch the truth to get that extra charge. Guess we all need to wear our own body cameras to be completely covered.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
This^^^^

I realize that we have a large number of anti-LEO types that think they can take a violent, 300lb male down with a one hand tied behind their back. Garner died because he was stupid-not because he was black, or because the police "killed him". His own actions, and his physical conditions did.
The excessive force used by the officer played a role.

Guy was too heavy and unhealthy to be a flight risk.

Old 07-16-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
Still tried to charge them, so you proved that Cops will stretch the truth to get that extra charge. Guess we all need to wear our own body cameras to be completely covered.
Stretch the truth? They will outright lie even when there is video.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:57 PM

4,667 posts, read 3,864,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Actually I have never been arrested. But you see that has nothing to do with the color of my skin but has to do with the fact that I follow the law. I does not matter what your skin color is. What matters is that you are a good person who does not commit crimes!
With police, skin color matters. It matters a lot.

Staggering Racial Bias: Marijuana use is roughly equal among Blacks and whites, yet Blacks are 3.73 times as likely to be arrested for marijuana possession.
https://www.aclu.org/report/report-w...lack-and-white

Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,603,511 times
Quote:
We absolutely have this right!!! and more if necessary.'

This is why we should be teaching our kids to KNOW their individual rights in relation to dealing with police, that way, they will not hesitate, they will know whether they MUST comply, or whether they do not have to, they also need to know when use of force is acceptable.

These are rights given to us as citizens! Its a shame many adults do not even know them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies